The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Wide Angle Lens - Any Ideas?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thank you gents.
Osman, in FX format your 14-24 is the unchallenged wide angle zoom.
This little Sigma wide is only a "DC" lens, Sigma's designation for DX format lenses.

Jorgen, the pictures are from an old library at the University of Copenhagen.
They were stopped down to f/11 (this one even at f/14) to gain a large Depth Of Field and acceptable sharpness even in the corners.
It's my experience as well that many zoom lenses tend to be better at the one end than the other.
That's why I personally prefer primes. They are at least optimized for their specific single focal length.
Thus my wish for a new slow (i.e. affordable) ultrawide AF-S Nikon prime :)

click for larger size (3 Mb)

Nikon D300 • Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM at 10mm • 3 sec. at f/14 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Very interesting, Steen.
The library series is excellent, and the last photo is awesome.

Sounds like color could be improved though, indeed.

I'm wondering how the Nikkor 18-70 you elaborated on earlier would work on FX as a casual walk around lens... :rolleyes:

(just remembered i only shoot primes :deadhorse:)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks, Corlan, I cannot imagine the 18-70 would be any good on your demanding 24 Mp D3X machine :)
It used to be the kit lens for D70 'in the old days'. But for a kit lens it was surprisingly good, at least compared with some competitors' kit lenses.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Steen, don't get me wrong. I'm really impressed but the results posted a few weeks ago, especially at the -more than reasonnable- price point.

For some casual occasions, i wouldn't mind trying the DX format on the body. Light lens, smaller file size, why not. And who knows, maybe i'll find a cheap working S5 down the road... :rolleyes:

Distortion looks pretty good on the Sigma, too.

RomanJohnston

For a D200 the Nikon 14-24 is THE best in sharpness and quality. It is the best and the price reflects that.

With that said, I think you would be SERIOUSLY pleased with the Tokina 12-24, the Sigma 10-20 or the Nikon 10-24 for your DX rig.

I did some serious testing and purchased the 12-24 Tokina. It is built like a tank, (better than the Nikon of the same range) sharper than you would expect. I have been very pleased with this lens.

I'll shut up and let the lens do the rest of the talking.
On the D70:

On The D2X:

On the D300:

And it does panos...this is 4 shots at 12MM joined:

And here are some prints from the lens:

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Roman

M

melvillebutler

I like all the photos. nice job. I wish that You will also represent your photos as well as far. I have never seen this type of photos. I wish that You will also show some new pictures. Keep it up.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
space interaction

click for larger size (3 Mb)

Nikon D300 • Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM at 10mm • 1/30 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200 • Capture NX​

PeterB666

I have the Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 and it is quite a nice lens. While all the reviews I read about this lens suggested that resistance to flare is quite good (especially compared to its peers), it isn't quite as good as my best (the Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm on Micro Four Thirds).

Here is a pre-dawn shot. I had to remove a small and fairly insigificant flare spoil from the bottom of the shore line. There are a couple of patchy bits along the right-hand wall of the pool but nothing significant with this pre-dawn shot.

Pre-sunrise at Oak Park by peterb666, on Flickr

The lens itself is great indoors and most situations outdoors as well. It makes a great general-purpose ultra-wide lens for a cropped sensor camera.

Edit: - hmm, forgot to remove my dust bunny.

Leigh

I have the Nikon 10-24 and the Nikon 12-24.

I prefer the 10-24, just because of the additional range. It's my walk-around lens on the D300S.

It also works on my D200, which is my backup body.

- Leigh

K

kjyuan

i am told the 16-35 is pretty sharp and has VR, though not quite that wide on DX sensor.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I agree. I think that the Nikon 10-24 would also be my choice, if I were to buy an ultra wide DX zoom lens today.

However, I want my next ultra wide to be an FX lens and hopefully a prime, so obviously a totally different story.

But right now I'll just have to use what I've got, so here's a couple more with the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM on a DX sensor body.

click for natural size

Nikon D300 • Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM at 10mm • Capture NX

Lars

Nikon 12-24 should be considered as well. Compared to the 10-24 it has the advantage of a fixed f/4 aperture, and the focusing and zooming mechanism is all inside the barrel so it's a more sturdy construction. The obvious tradeoff is that it doesnt go quite as wide.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
bang for the buck - or sturdy built quality

You are of course right, Lars, and if it were a gift from Santa I would also prefer the Nikon 12-24mm DX over the Nikon 10-24mm DX, for exactly the reasons you mention.

And 12mm on DX (which equals 18mm on FX) is wide enough for me.

Still, we have to add ~ 40% (38 % as we speak) to the price to get the better built quality of the 12-24.

So in short I think I would conclude that with regards to price/performance the 10-24 gives me more bang for the buck, while admittedly its built quality is less sturdy.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nikon Wide Angle Lens - Any Ideas ?

one more from Thorvaldsens Museum, as an illustration of the Sigma 10-20mm at its widest end

©

click for natural size (3.9 Mb)

in some browsers the F11 key maximizes and again minimizes <-> the web browser window

© • Nikon D300 • Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM at 10mm • 1/13 sec. at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Lars

Re: Nikon Wide Angle Lens - Any Ideas ?

Interesting - I went there some years ago, had my F5 with Tokina 20-35 and 16/2.8D Fisheye then (still have all three but only the fisheye gets any use in the digital age). Not sure if I have any pics of that specific corridor. Must have been summer 1999.

one more from Thorvaldsens Museum, as an illustration of the Sigma 10-20mm at its widest end

©

click for natural size (3.9 Mb)

in some browsers the F11 key maximizes and again minimizes <-> the web browser window

© • Nikon D300 • Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM at 10mm • 1/13 sec. at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX