The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need help deciding..

D

dnjs6

i want to upgrade my d2hs to a full frame camera

i was thinking of purchasing the new d3s or the d700

if i buy the d700, i could buy another lens, or even a used d700

and i use mf lenses mostly..

if i bought the new d3s i would def take advantage of the high iso..

have fun shooting in low light..

ecsh

I had a D700 and its really pretty good itself in low light with the proper lens. Probably not as good as the new D3s, but, do you really need that? If you need the video it provides, then your all set. If not, i would get the D700.
YMMV
Joe

woodyspedden

I had a D700 and its really pretty good itself in low light with the proper lens. Probably not as good as the new D3s, but, do you really need that? If you need the video it provides, then your all set. If not, i would get the D700.
YMMV
Joe
+1

Woody

D

dnjs6

but then i kind of want the fast fps..

i do shoot indoor events where i cant use a flash

i dont have much experience with d700 so

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Same answer as Joe above.

Re the fps, the vertical grip on the D700 gets you in D3 territory.
And allow you to have lighter gear when not needed.

Then you're the sole judge whether you need video and the extra ISO (?), for the extra write off.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
What do you typically shoot and what are your most used lenses.

I have the d700 and the D3/D3x bodies. I much prefer the D3/D3x form when shooting but the D700 is a much better body for traveling or street use.

If by events you mean sports....go for the D3s if its parties,weddings,corporate etc..the d700 will do everything you need and be a more discrete form.

Long lenses ..its the D3s for better balance.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I would agree +1 with Roger on this, particularly if you are accustomed to the ergonomics of the D2H. You will notice the difference in the viewfinder with the D700 compared to a full sized D3s one, plus the button layout and control dial are quite different.

Speed & super high ISO - D3s. Size - D700 (that's why I kept mine).

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
My advice...
Go to a shop where you can handle and shoot the alternatives.
Do that.
What feels best in the hand and most natural to shoot would be my choice.
-bob

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
My advice...
Go to a shop where you can handle and shoot the alternatives.
Do that.
What feels best in the hand and most natural to shoot would be my choice.
-bob
Sound advice and common sense.

If you do that don't forget to ask the shop to test also with the vertical grip, in almost every discussion it's an overseen feature. The versatility had me opt for the D700... (don't need the double card so only the VF was a "+", but did not justify the price difference... and the size/weight option was not there).

Aaron

I think the second card slot on the D3 series is worth extra cost and weight.
I have never had a card come out of my D700 that has any issue (knock on wood) but i would gladly pay the extra for the second slot just for the peace of mind it gives. It may be less of a concern depending on what your shooting and who its for (e.g. a bride on an altar or Tiger making the winning putt may be more deserving of the second slot than other subjects;))

D

dnjs6

thanks for the advise everyone.

i decided to get the d3s, just ordered mine from bhphoto