The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 85mm 1.4

gromitspapa

+1 on Rachel; she is awesome. Trying to play it safe, I had my local well-established photo shop try and install my Katz Eye. Well, they thought they knew what they were doing based on Canon experience and scratched the screen because they couldn't pull up Rachel's online instructions (which are case-sensitive). Being they had the camera open for a long time and potentially mixed up the spacers, I sent it to Rachel. She offered me a "blem" screen for free to offset the shipping and installation expenses, saying I wouldn't be able to spot the flaw. She was right. Months later, when I thought I had dust on the screen, she patiently walked me through diagnosing the problem, staying after hours to do so. She's a gem.

I think if you follow the Katz Eye instructions carefully, it's no big deal to install the screen.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Great stuff to here. I sent her a link to this thread for her viewing. I will also report on my thoughts on the effectiveness of the screen.

harmsr

Workshop Member
I agree with Jack's comments on the two 85/1.4 lenses. I liked the Nikor better when I had them.

Can I predict that Guy will end up buying the Nikor back???;)

Guy Mancuso

No you have a better chance of seeing me buy a D3. What's really bad is i have a thousand dollar credit due me at Camera West for a 50 pre asph they don't have yet. Hmmm

Talk about tempting and even thought of keeping the D300 :wtf: am I thinking

Guy Mancuso

LOL yes just seeing what the lens can do . Here is another 85mm at 5.6

These look very good . Now on the web they look a little over processed . On screen though there killer good. This is about all the lens test i need to keep them.

robsteve

Subscriber
LOL yes just seeing what the lens can do . Here is another 85mm at 5.6

These look very good . Now on the web they look a little over processed . On screen though there killer good. This is about all the lens test i need to keep them.
The Nikon images always look over processed. I think they boost edge contrast on the coarse details to make things look sharp. You are not getting the fine detail of the mortar in the brick shot or the grain of the wood in the second shot. Do you have comparable Leica shots of this same spot?

Guy Mancuso

Robert I always get this oversharpened look when I run my sharpening on my files than post be it Leica or Nikon. The web does not handle it well. Also i screwed up the first two crops and noticed it when I did the third image . When I went to crop the 100 percent section I had my crop tool set at 17x22 300 dpi from printing the other day , so they blew up big than got reduced. I was too tired to fix that last night. I need to redo it but he third one is correct. I will fix this in a little bit getting everyone out of the house and packing for a flight to Kansas today

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hello all,

I started a new thread on my initial impressions of the new Proscreen for the D3. I just had a look on his site, and do not see any screens for the D300. I will email him and see what's happening. The new screen is a huge improvement on the standard screen for MF.