The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Please Help Me

R

rayatlondon

I want to use a 2x teleconverter on my Nikkor 180mm f/2.8, but I need to retain the autofocus. The TC-201 is strictly manual focus (AIS) and the newer TC-20E is only for AF-I/S from what I read. Will the modifications you describe for connecting the TC-14E to the TC-20E help in any way? What about using the Tamron 2x?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I use the Tamron 1.4x on my 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S and 300 f/4.0 AF, and AF works like a charm on both. Be aware that there are two versions of the Tamron TCs. I don't know what they are called, but you should look for the "expensive" version, which comes in a red and white box.

Be aware also that a 2.0x TC will degrade image quality and sometimes also bokeh. AF will also be slower.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
FWIW for the short time i tested the Nikon TC-17E lead to excellent results -esp. with primes. I kinda remember one of the lenses was the AF-D 180mm, but unfotunately can't vouch for it.

Some people seem to experiment issues with TCs with zooms, OTOH some well known, highly regarded nature photogs use these combos with success.

T

tetsrfun

FWIW for the short time i tested the Nikon TC-17E lead to excellent results -esp. with primes. I kinda remember one of the lenses was the AF-D 180mm, but unfotunately can't vouch for it.

Some people seem to experiment issues with TCs with zooms, OTOH some well known, highly regarded nature photogs use these combos with success.
From another forum with the same question.."The usual recommendation is the Kenko Pro 300 or identical Tamron SP-AF"

In general the use of 2X teleconverters is discouraged because of the negative effect on image quality and also AF.

Steve

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The Kenko Pro 300 is a useful supplement to the TC-14E II or 17E II because it will work with a number of lenses the new TC's wont. I've only used the 1.4x which got me out of a bind where the TC 14E II wouldn't work at all (70-300VR) and it was ok. I would be very reluctant to use the 2x though unless you are stuck.