The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D300/M8 test

harmsr

Workshop Member
Guy,

On your examples, I think both C1 and NX render more detail and tones than LightRoom. You may be right about the NX having a higher contrast built in than C1. I do like the colors of C1 better.

Ray

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Here is the photo processed through Capture One Pro 3.7.8 at defaults and the same crop.

I agree on the color being best in Capture One, but still think that Capture NX wins in all other respects.

The advantage in Capture NX is that I can also fix these colors and leave it as a preset for all the images.
Yes NX will certainly give you more controls within the Nikon file. You can copy those settings in other programs as well. BTW i have Version 4 for Capture. My issue is i can't process my M8 files in them just like you.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

It is a program worth looking at no question but it is slower than a turtle to get around.

Guy Mancuso

Guy,

On your examples, I think both C1 and NX render more detail and tones than LightRoom. You may be right about the NX having a higher contrast built in than C1. I do like the colors of C1 better.

Ray
You may very well be correct C1 looks very good. i may have some sharpening on C1 though and need to check that. But the color does look better than the other two out of the box.

I do have a little sharpening on C1. It's very light but still there 180 amount radius .8 and threshold 1 but I do most of my sharpening in PS . That's me though

Also it does spread the DR a little better in C1 than LR . Hmmm

I think we forget how good c1 really is , they have been doing this a LONG time

Guy Mancuso

Bingo less yellow. Look at the left wall . Red type is better in C1 more red than yellow and look at far right red building.

Guy Mancuso

LR is the worst with yellow. Than NX and C1 looks the best. Wow nice

This is being pretty picky folks. LOL

BTW if you have not noticed the blue sky looks the best in C1 because it has less yellow

Guy Mancuso

Just looking at some 24mm shift lens shots . I did this one in C1. I did work it.

Lens shifted up some

jlm

Workshop Member
given all the testing, are you seeing anything between these camera systems that would support the hype about the signature leica look, pop, 3-D effect, glow, space around the subject, etc.:

Guy Mancuso

Tough question John. I think you can get any of that per say with the right lighting and subject . But let's not forget about technique also. I think a lot comes from separation from background and bokeh with lighting to separate subject from background and such. Looking at Kurts Zeiss 100 images there is a certain pop and glow to them. Maybe the Zeiss and leica glass does this better overall but certainly can get it with Nikon too. Really a hard question to answer and it stumps me a little. I think this maybe harder a little with cropped sensors too, sometimes there is just too much DOF to separate. Although we have done it a lot with the DMR and M8 too. So it may come down to what we all think is the glass and the way each lens draws. let's face it Nikon and Canon build general lenses to have the same look. Leica has 3 different 75mm that produce different feel to them through there design. Not sure anyone but Leica and Zeiss does any of that. We all know what a Summilux does compared to a cron. Leica has these Mandler designs that just are awesome in look. That is not what the new designs do anymore . Although my new Zeiss lenses look pretty similar

Guy Mancuso

Alright with C1 I am doing some finals that I would do to make these look good. This is really clean in C1 , I see no yellow the low and mid tones have been opened up and balanced pretty good. i would deliver this. I also WB it

Guy Mancuso

C1 again copied the WB from the other image and applied the same settings all around. Looks much better

Guy Mancuso

Here i just knocked down the saturation to -2 in C1 . I think this also is a help. This was shot at 5.6 with the 85mm I believe it says 85 but I have 50 in the bank and I did not change it so all of them say 85 1.4 . Really does not matter much because i still get the correct working F stop with either one since they both are 1.4 lenses but given the DOF this looks like the 85mm and the time I shot it with other things

Guy Mancuso

Okay went back to C1 with the M8 and processed this without looking at the other at default .

M8
Nikon

C1 in both

Guy Mancuso

Folks that is the real difference between the two camera's is the last two. A little more open in the low end for the Leica
Frankly that is damn good

woodyspedden

Yes NX will certainly give you more controls within the Nikon file. You can copy those settings in other programs as well. BTW i have Version 4 for Capture. My issue is i can't process my M8 files in them just like you.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

It is a program worth looking at no question but it is slower than a turtle to get around.
guy

Phase just released 3.7.8 which processes both D300 and D3 files. I still like the program better than C4

Woody