The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D300/M8 test

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Woody The part I get hung up on is ...finding the raw image you selected for work in C1. So I have edited down to say 10 images that I want done right. Now do I just take the raw file number and go fetch in my raw folder.. or can I export from Lightroom into a working folder? The same on the other end...wow I have a few I like coming out of C1/CS3...do you send them back to Lightroom. I can see how the volume anticipated could make a big difference. Thanks Roger:confused:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hey Guys and Guy,

I just got back from a book shoot yesterday evening (~1,000 images, D3, 24–70/2.8) and I did my usual CF card > DNG converter, dng files saved to one drive, with NEFs saved to a second drive thing. I read this whole thread, and I am just wondering why no one here uses the latest ACR.

I find it has simply the best workflow around, and any colour/hue shift you want to make to either match bodies (or makes) can be done so easliy. If you haven't checked out the latest version (4.4) you might want to—it has all the bells and whistles from the other Adobe programs (Recovery, Fill Light, Clarity etc.) AND the best sharpening algorithms I have used yet (amount, detail, radius, masking; the latter two able to be tweaked if magnification at 100%—and results seen *live* as you adjust). The sharpening is so good and controllable out of the Raw window, I only use PK Sharpener for content and output sharpening these days, if necessary—and before the new version I ran all Raw images through Capture Sharpening as part of the work flow. No longer. All all the images were shot in the one studio, so I selected my preset for skin, and applied it to all images.

Guy, please get your hands around a D3, even if you have to borrow one. It does have better DR than the D300, and its files are super deep re. manipulation. I shot all the book images wide open on that one zoom, and the images are very sharp, very 3D, and accurate colour without any tweaking. Honestly, I feel the D3 is a better comparison than the D300—and that shift will be its true 24mm!!!

I never use NX—ever. Too slow, for me. And the results out of ACR are perfectly useable for me and the clients love them. Did I mention that ALL WINDOWS and all fields within them can be selected and altered from the keyboard? That for me is the only reason I need not to use NX! cheers to all, kl

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks; I was aware of that, but I have never used Lightroom. I was really talking more about the workflow, and the new sharpening window. And as I haven't used Lightroom, I have no idea if tweaking re. hue etc. works the same (in the sense that 'doing X in window Y produces the same effect at the engine processing level'). Software is rarely that transparent (and what we see at the icon/window level on our computer screens is miles away from how the bits and bytes are actually processed, in my experience). What do you use?

Terry

I use Lightroom and when I've gone into ACR it has been really similar. I will let Jack/Guy and others chime in and give you more details....

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Jack knows ACR better than me . I use LR myself and for workflow I love it. But I know they are the same engine. Which BTW there engine came from Raw developer which came from a couple C1 engineers

gogopix

Subscriber
dear Woody (and David, looks like your fingerprints all over this lens!:ROTFL:

Well, lousy light at twilight, I pushed to ISO 400 and -1, shot full open f4.2, handheld at 1/60 (i can't believe there isnt more motion blur; maybe this lens has IS:confused:

Imagine what this baby will do in sunlight on a TRIPOD! at f56 ISO 100 and 1/500

Oh yes, its Woody's,David's (who else's??) now VICTOR's :D R 105-280.

Looks like the DMR is gonna get some exercise this week

Regards
Victor

Last edited:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
TEB and Guy; I am aware of the "same engine" position; what I was talking about (as a very minor detail) is the interface connections and possible differences between how the interfaces (LR and ACR) operate the engine (to continue the metaphor!). If none, then excellent. In my extensive experience with software, it can be the case that softwares that rely on the same core engines can, nonetheless, handle and hence process differently, subtly. That's all I was getting at.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Jack may have this answer but I think everything is identical but like him to confirm that to be sure. i just don't use ACR that much

David K

Workshop Member
Victor,
That's one of the few lenses for the R system that I never got around to (I think it was Kurt and Woody who had it) but it's impressive to say the least. Some of that Leica R glass is simply amazing.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Victor,

It is a grat lens, and not all that common to find. Here is a shot I took with the exact same lens on the DMR. ISO 200, monopod, f/4.5, 280mm, minimum focus distance of about 5.5'

David