The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is there any Nikon solution for Leica R lenses?

D

diglloyd

I know SK Grimes will do conversions. Had a chat with Lloyd Chambers of www.diglloyd.com fame and he is thinking of converting some Leica glass to Nikon - including a 90/2 APO he acquired from RobSteve. May want to talk with him.

Looks to be a reasonably simple job for any competent photographic machine shop - replacing the R mount with a custom F mount - or a donated Ai/S mount and spacer. That or convert a D3 to R mount - but that's an option that comes with a price - either as a 2nd body or if done to your primary body.
I sent my Leica-R 90/2 APO for service and it just came back looking like new--I asked for the internal dust to be cleaned (it's gone), optics verified, etc, and it just sparkles. Gorgeous! Price was reasonable at $320, given that it actually had to go back onto the production line in Germany (APO lenses require this).

Now I have to decide whether to let S.K. Grimes have a go at it to irrevocably convert to Nikon F mount (about $450). The benefit of converting to Nikon mount is that I can use it on both Canon and Nikon; it's a bummer being restricted to Canon, since I really prefer the look of the D3 images vs the Canon 1DsM3. On the flip side, I can already use it on Canon with an adapter for both the 1DsM3 and my 5D-IR. And already the Zeiss 100/2 Makro Planar offers gorgeous images, though it’s not APO; the Leica 90/2 APO behavior offers striking results with out-of-focus lights and blobs that simply isn't there with any non-APO lens I have. (see my review).

Bottom line for me is how lenses draw, and the 90/2 offers unique properties. Part of it is the unknown risk factor: can even the best conversion avoid any misalignment isuses? S.K. Grimes has a good reputation, so maybe the risk is low, but that concern lingers for me.

So I suppose I will vacillate for a while, then decide...