The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Nikon 300 2.8 VR and 2x

Tim Ernst

Now that Nikon has officially announced this new pair - how in the world could they produce a BETTER 300 2.8 then they already have? Anyone here had a chance to test this new lens?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Oh, I'm sure it's better than the old one, but I can think of a couple of other primes that are in more urgent need of an update, like any 18, 20 or 24mm, 28mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 105mm f/2.0, 135mm f/2.0 or 180mm f/2.8.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
... and 300 f/4 VR and 400 f/4 VR and 500 f/5.6 VR :sleep006:

In our time ... :confused:

fultonpics

isn't that something. the old 300 2.8 VR was a damn fine lens. i sure wish they had spend the R&D somewhere else. i guess this VRII is better--for those that depend on it. But let's be serious, most pro shooters don't need it with the ISO performance of the D3. go figure.

m_driscoll

Oh, I'm sure it's better than the old one, but I can think of a couple of other primes that are in more urgent need of an update, like any 18, 20 or 24mm, 28mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 105mm f/2.0, 135mm f/2.0 or 180mm f/2.8.
+1. Does seem like an odd choice. My conclusion is that they feel the 14-24, 24-70, and the 70-200 replace all of those primes? Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
There's money in my piggy bank that would be spent in an instant if they'd come up with a 35/1.4 AF-S ... :thumbs:

As regards the other updates - heck, I'll take 'em. The new VR II lenses, if the 70-200 VR II that I just got is anything to go by, are really making a difference as far as ultimate image quality is concerned. Thank you Nikon!!

Lars

Nikon's focus seems to be heavily on the cash cows: Pro sports shooters/PJs, and consumer bestsellers. And from a business standpoint Nikon is doing the right thing - business is good, market shares are taken, margins are high.

Little comfort for anyone longing for an 35/1.4 AF-S though (including me as well).

fultonpics

Lars, you are right. the 70-200 is selling well and getting rave reviews from the sports crowd over on sportsshooter.com. the 300 should do well and my guess is they update the longer primes next and maybe even the 200-400. kinda messes with the value of the older lens, but like my car, i intend to drive them into the ground. from a business standpoint, updating makes little sense given i doubt i miss a sale due to have a VR I lens versus VR II.

Roel

I figure that the VRII update for the 300/2.8 was a relatively easy one to do, and with the Olympics around the corner, it would provide good "optics" (pardon the pun) for Nikon as a company (that supports pro photographers).

What I personally find interesting is the announcement of the TC-20E III ... I am curious to see how it performs given that it has an aspherical element(s). If the optical performance is anywhere close to the TC-14E, I'll be a happy camper... (my 200/2 will become a decent 400/4 if the TC-20E III performs).

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The 200-400 VR would be a worthy update. Like the 70-200 VR I it does suffer somewhat with vignetting with the FX cameras when wide open. In fact I was somewhat shocked recently at the degree to which my copy of this lens drops off in terms of brightness, if not sharpness, as you look into the corners of the frame.

m_driscoll

I figure that the VRII update for the 300/2.8 was a relatively easy one to do, and with the Olympics around the corner, it would provide good "optics" (pardon the pun) for Nikon as a company (that supports pro photographers).

What I personally find interesting is the announcement of the TC-20E III ... I am curious to see how it performs given that it has an aspherical element(s). If the optical performance is anywhere close to the TC-14E, I'll be a happy camper... (my 200/2 will become a decent 400/4 if the TC-20E III performs).
Good point. I'll also be waiting to see how the TC-20E III performs. I've used the "old" 300 f/2,8 with the TC-14 E II with great (IMHO) results. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

episa

I enjoy my 300mm 2.8 VR every time I use it. Use the TC14E and TC17 most of the time with great results. Got somewhat disappointed with TC20E.
So the latest TC20E with aspheric lens is of great interest to me....
Unless you are into Professional Sport Photography, I do not think that the upgrade from the AF-S 300mm f/2.8 VR is worth it.

Like others on this forum, I would love to see an updated AF-S 200-400 f/4 VRII and AF-S 300mm f/4 VRII.

One zoom that I wish Nikon would consider - now that we have high ISO bodies and no longer need f/2.8 everytime - is a AF-S 80-200 f/4 VRII.
I do not hold my breath on it however. I decided to purchase the Leica 80-200 f/4 R transformed with Leitax bayonet. I will use it for travel as it is less than 1 kg unlike the heavy and bulky Nikon AF-S 70-200 VR f/2.8.