The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Proscreen from Brightscreen for D3: Wow!

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Well, I didn't think the D3 could be improved. I was wrong, it can.

Jim from Brightscreen sent a Proscreen (big 13mm microprism-only, the same design Guy and I tested on the 5D and the R9/DMR all that time ago). No other marks in the finder at all.

It is perfect. I want to mention here that on other threads people have been asking about the focus confirmation light (D300). Folk need to know that the AF lightpath and the AF confirmation light is one system; the finder and screen a separate system. I have had the personal experience (S5 Pro) where the focus confirmation pathway was spot on, and the MF pathway so far out of spec it was unusable—so much so that the body was replaced.

There is no guarantee that the systems are in sync. You just hope they are if you want to use MF.

The D3, being a pro camera, is like the 1Ds series: AF and MF pathways are more likely to be accurate. So this morning, I removed the standard MF screen in the D3 and put the Proscreen in. Adjusted the dioptre (something I do every day before shooting; the eye changes daily) and put the incredible Zeiss 100/2 macro on the body.

Perfect; that's all I can say. And on checking the focus on lines of type, I can say that on my D3, AF and MF pathways are perfectly in sync. And the bottom line is that the Proscreen makes a HUGE difference to ease of manual focussing: you can see focus being pulled across the parts of any letter in individual lines of type. It's incredible, frankly, and the standard screen definitely cannot do this. I mention this because my standard approach to portraits is to pull focus along the bottom eyelid on the closest eye—with this screen you can put that critical focus plane where you want.

As well, in the short time I have played with this, I can see that the AF will be improved, too. Why? Because I can SEE when AF is, in fact, in focus. I missed a few shots last week because the Pilates studio was dim (I was using strobes, but focussing by natural light, for the models' benefit) and there are a number of occasions the AF missed, even though it looked fine in the finder. I think the Proscreen will help in this regard, because it is so damn obvious when you are out of focus, even in the dim light of my studio here.

The Proscreen gives a completely open finder, you can see the AF points as easily as with the standard screen, and there is no comparison re. MF: the new screen is so much better in this regard.

I will ask Jim if he has D300 screens—if he does, I will get one for my D300 too. One of the advantages of the D300 finder and AF points is that in the D300, the AF points cover almost all the finder area, and the second advantage is that you can choose the "Rule of Thirds" lines as a Menu option. I have mine on all the time—I wish the D3 had these too, for the interiors I will shoot this year with the new TS 24.

Jim did mention that he will be making similar lines on a Brightscreen, but I would prefer to have the lines switchable—I would want it off for some of my work, I think.

On reading the other posts from the D300 owners, a Proscreen might be just what some of you are looking for, MF-wise. I only hope that the mirrorbox specs and QC are as good as the D3. Cheers to all, KL

Last edited:

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hi Kit, excellent review, thanks. What's Jim's price? Looks like I might have to give him a call tomorrow ... this is just like old times. Such a strong need for all of us to pursue this manual focus madness. But, with the ZF100 it is so worth the effort.

Kurt

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Kurt, all the Nikon screens he sells seem to be between $199 and $249. I can ask him if he might consider a "GetDPI" rate—can't hurt.

The ZF100/2 is the best lens I have ever used, frankly. Apart from being razor sharp wide open, the bokeh is the best I have ever seen—but then my fastest lenses have always been ƒ2. For me, that DOF is more useable than at ƒ1.4, and the finder is still plenty bright. Looking at some of Guy's recent test shots (his daughter's friend) I prefer the increased DOF at ƒ2, and ƒ2.8, for the enhanced realism (taste, I know) and that is where I shoot all my portraits. The bokeh is still wonderful, IMHO.

woodyspedden

Kit

I remember on my 1DsmkII that there were issues with metering using the Brightscreen 13mm prism. Have you noticed metering changes as you stop down on the Nikon?

thanks

Woody

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I ordered one from Jim at Brightscreen today. I was very fond of using the microprism screen in the DMR and hope that I'll feel the same with that same style screen in the D3.

Kurt

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Woddy, absolutely no difference that I can see at all, but then I shoot Raw (as I know you do) and am not quite so picky in that regard. As a general rule, even in the studio, EV adjustments are typically very small (0.1–0.25 EV)—smaller than all other cameras I have used. I did not see any difference in the images I shot yesterday. And dialing in a compensation value (that does not appear in the finder or LCD displays) is two second's work, if you do need to. I use matrix metering all the time.

I did have a quick reply from Jim re. selling screens for users to fit to D300s: in brief, he says it is much preferable for him to fit and calibrate at his site, and return to the sender. They do sell and fit Brightscreens to D300s, but only do it in house, and the owner can choose to have Jim calibrate the cameras as well.

There are many technical reasons for this apparently (to do with springs and shims). Not a straightforward "unclip-and-swap" operation as it is with the D3 (took just one minute). I am assuming that this is similar to the straightforward swaps of screen one could do with the 1Ds series, and the many problems folk might remember with the 5D.

The short overview is that QC on the pro bodies, and the technical execution re. manufacturing tolerances means that one is more likely to have MF focussing problems on the prosumer bodies (and the D300, great though it is, is a prosumer body in these terms). This is magnified if the user changes screens, I believe. When Jim fitted a Brightscreen to an S5 Pro I had a while ago, AF worked perfectly, and MF was way out. On returning the body to Brightscreen, he found that the mirrorbox specs were so far out the camera could not be calibrated, and Fuji swapped the body without any problem. The replacement body MF-ed perfectly, but it was around that time that Jim started suggesting that calibration for the prosumer bodies might be the best way to go.

Guy may chime in here, but both he and I tested Brightscreen prototypes for the 5D and the R9/DMR, and neither fitments were straightforward (I needed the Leica folk here to try two R9s and three DMRs before *they* were happy it was focussing accurately with the standard screen!). Once that had been established, the Brightscreen Proscreen for the DMR worked perfectly too. Clearly, there has to be an accuracy baseline that has been tested *before* you swap screens.

The Brightscreen for the D3 went straight in, the holder clipped in to place, and the dioptre needed a small adjustment. After than, it just worked. One reason, I guess, to pay $5,000 for a body instead of $1,700!

Kurt, I will be very interested in what you find, because you use MF more than I do (typically, I MF only for portraits and UWs). cheers, kl

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My Katz eye for the D300 comes Friday and looks like JIm may get some business for the D3:D

I did not have to much trouble per say from memory with the DMR except I remember having to focusing in which means to the back of the microprism

Guy Mancuso

Funny you say that . Today is my wedding anniversary been married 19 years. So the running joke is, this is my second wife and the joke is once a fool always a fool. LOL

I even think I bought flowers. My daughter thought of it and went to get them for me. Been bribing this kid for 18 years she finally get's it

No I need a D3 after today it was obvious. My 24mm shift was not wide enough for one on the D300. i will explain in a minute

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Guy, you don't need any excuses. To my eye there is a noticable difference between the cameras. You'd be impressed with the D3 immediately.

Kurt

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Go Guy!!!! I have been hanging out for you to get one. Keep the D300 for fun, and a backup which also extends any tele 50%—this is not trivial on some jobs, as you know.

You wrote:

focusing in which means to the back of the microprism
That's the kind of thing I meant (and some of the other folk's problems).

Cheers and honestly, this is a great decision. That 24 is MEANT for FF.

:toocool:

Guy Mancuso

Yea after today as much as I like the D300 which is a marvel the D3 will just serve me better. So having them both will be good.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Now things are really going to heat up around here! perhaps you could ask JL to fit a Proscreen before he sends it to you? And send the original in case you don't like it?

Cheers my friend: IMHO, of the MANY buying decisions we have been involved in, I think this one is all good. Best, Kit

neils

Kit

I was wondering if you got the 13mm microprism because it was the only version offered or it is what you prefer.

Ages ago I put "J" screens in all my F's, split image on a 45 degree angle. I think that was the J screen. I haven't used a microprism in decades. Of course back then the MP section was just a ring around the RF center portion.

Is have a full MP center really better? I guess you'd have none of that half blackout the RF patch sometimes gave.

Neil

Guy Mancuso

I like the 13mm prism only myself. Have to see what he has available.

Thanks Kit and Kurt,hearing from folks I trust and respect makes this purchase much easier on me for the D3. Just did not want to chase my tail and honestly getting good info on other forums on it was driving me nuts. No one knows how to give good advice it seems without the food fights.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Neils, yes I got the 13mm Proscreen version, no other markings in the finder window (apart from the active AF sensor, that is). It's great.

Guy, he (Jim L) has the Proscreens for the D3 in stock. You are going to love this new camera...

Last edited:

vieri

I like the 13mm prism only myself. Have to see what he has available.

Thanks Kit and Kurt,hearing from folks I trust and respect makes this purchase much easier on me for the D3. Just did not want to chase my tail and honestly getting good info on other forums on it was driving me nuts. No one knows how to give good advice it seems without the food fights.
Guy, you really cannot go wrong with the D3 - it's the best DSLR I have used, bar none, and I used all Nikons since the D70 included (D70, D200 briefly, D2x, D2xs, D300 - GF's D50 on the side). I never used Canon or other brands other than quick trial periods though.

The D3 is a wonderful tool, I am now thinking about the focussing screen for it and replacing the 105 VR for a Zeiss 100 f2. The 105 VR is great, but those Zeiss samples are looking oh so sweet! Am I crazy? :D

woodyspedden

Hey all my favorite experts out there. I just received my ZF 100 Makro and 35 2.0 and have an issue I don't undrstand. In the top display of either the D300 or D3 instead of showing aperture it shows a delta F which ranges from 0 to 7! I have no idea how I got in to such a mode but I would far prefer to see aperture. Also the bodies do not want to let me use shutter priority mode with these lenses............anyone know what is going on?

Woody

harmsr

Workshop Member
Guy,

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!;) Somehow I just knew that you would not be able to resist the D3. Congrats.

----------

I also just ordered the Brightscreen 13mm Microprism for my D3.

----------

Best,

Ray

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Vieri: you are not crazy (well, only as crazy as the rest here). That Zeiss is, simply, the best lens I have ever used.

Woody: something off there, my friend. I just attached the Zeiss 100/2 to my D300, selected the Non-CPU number (I have this in My Menu) to "1" (the Zeiss, and rightly so) and all info on the top LCD is as it should be. I have no idea why you are seeing delta F. Try a remove-battery reboot. Anyone else? And maybe a "Master Reset", too. Very easy to set the few things you need to, after.

and Guy: I have said this already in many places, but I want to echo Ray and Vieri here: the D3 is just the best DSLR I have ever used, and for the FIRST TIME I am just happy with the gear, and my focus is making the images. No, muss, no fuss, it just does the job and the new optics are stellar, even to we Leica-R aficionados. Hope it comes soon; I can't wait for your reactions. cheers