The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Proscreen from Brightscreen for D3: Wow!

neils

Are you guys ordering the p772 #2 screen?

I'm not sure that is going to be the 13mm MP area as they say that size is for some 35mm DSLRs.

Neil

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Neils, an update from Jim at Brightscreen: the screen for the D300 has a slightly smaller microprism than the screens for the D3s (the 13mm Proscreens). Other than that they are the same technology. hth. kl.

neils

Kit

Thanks. I'll call direct about the 13mm screen for my D3.

And so far there haven't been any weird problems with exposure since changing the screen? Some cameras or screens do I've read. I'm really not interested if there is any of that. Too much to think about already:)

Neil

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Woody, congrats with your new ZF lenses !
My best guess is that Kit is right about all you need is to register the two non-CPU lenses in the camera.
In this regard the ZF lenses are different from your new version Voigtländer lenses, which now come with a CPU matrix metering chip.
Go to the SETUP MENU (the one with the tool icon) and then choose
>> Non-CPU lens data >> choose lens number (free choice), Focal Length, and Maximum Aperture of the lens >> [OK]
Do this for both your new ZF lenses, e.g. #1 and #2
When you've made this step, the camera ought to be able to calculate the aperture you've chosen on the aperture ring on the lens, provided you remember to choose the right Non-CPU lens number in the menu (which btw. was not so easy for me to remember at the beginning :eek:)
I hope for you it is nothing more serious than this little needed extra step.
/Steen

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hello Neil,

No problems metering, but should you need an adjustment, you can dial it in (via the menu) and that simply sets a bias. All under- and over exposure from that point is calculated from that new set point. I have not seen the need to do that so fat. This bias comp. can be set in sixths of a stop. cheers, kl

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
One note I set up my function button I think it is called (next to right ring finger) To press than rotate back dial to select which lens I have on. So for me at the moment is the Zeiss 50 1.4 and 85 1.4 . Si i can toggle very fast between them when I mount a lens. So no menu to deal with. Nice idea from Nikon

Guy Mancuso

Kit can you see your middle AF point okay with the prism. BTW i did not know he had a D300 screen . He sent me a nice note yesterday about that. Just waiting for more money to buy the D3 next week , need to sell my last lens first.

Guy Mancuso

Kit can you see your middle AF point okay with the prism. BTW i did not know he had a D300 screen . He sent me a nice note yesterday about that. Just waiting for more money to buy the D3 next week , need to sell my last lens first. Been thinking about the Zeiss 28 f2 also

woodyspedden

Thanks all for the help to get my ZF lenses set up. Registering them in the non-cpu menu was all it took.

I am disappointed about not having shutter priority mode available but I doubt that it is a killer. Early results with the 35mm 2.0 look fantastic and everyone already knows about the 100 as there have been many images posted on the forum.

Again thanks.......don't know what i would do without you guys

Woody

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hello Guy,

when you get the D3 you will see that almost all the major buttons can be customised. I keep the Func button to flash value lock (triggers a little flash which the camera measures; when doing events, I use this to avoid the "pre-flash", which, in my experience, guarantees more closed eyes!). I have all my Zeiss lenses set up on My Menu (so a click and a rotate and an OK to select). Very fast.

As well, I have the metering reversed (for me, makes far more sense to have underexposure to the LHS [D300] or below [D3]; similarly, I find the rear wheel faster to use than the front one (especially as I have the Camadapter leather strap fitted, which I strongly recommend over the the neck strap). I love the customisation possibilities with these bodies.

And yes, all AF points are visible with the Brightscreen fitted. Let the good times roll!

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hey Kit, which Camadapter strap are you using? I have not had a hand strap since my DMR. I miss one like crazy and need to order one.

Kurt

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I use the Camadapter plate, and the black quality leather strap. Here's what I wrote to Jim, the Camadapter man, for him to use, if he wants:

I use it on a D3, a heavy camera, and that let me walk around all day for three days in the forests here, with the 70–200 VR + TC 1.4 extender—all up, a test for King Kong!

The Camadapter really helped, and as I have done this a number of times before, I felt I was able to compare. My hands and arms were definitely fresher at the end of the long days, compared to the no-Camadapter times.
Incredibly cheap ($45 from memory?); I think too cheap. his system is quality all the way.

Cheers, kl

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Kurt:

More detail: I use the Standard Adapter (01-0101, $30), plus the Topgrain ProStrap (who could resist that name; $25). The standard Camadapter does not have rubber on its base, and has a tripod hole (never used!). hth, kl

woodyspedden

Hey Kit, which Camadapter strap are you using? I have not had a hand strap since my DMR. I miss one like crazy and need to order one.

Kurt
Kurt

I have used the Camadapter on my M8's since almost day one. Not only did Jim Caravuso work with me but he sent at least 10 samples of leather to attempt to get a close match to my Luigi case. The guy works really hard for you and produces a great product IMHO

Woody

Guy Mancuso

I use RRS plates with the slot for the hand straps. I have a Nikon for the D300 but maybe not strong enough for the D3 which i have a left over Canon hand strap which is stronger

gogopix

Subscriber
Hey all my favorite experts out there. I just received my ZF 100 Makro and 35 2.0 and have an issue I don't undrstand. In the top display of either the D300 or D3 instead of showing aperture it shows a delta F which ranges from 0 to 7! I have no idea how I got in to such a mode but I would far prefer to see aperture. Also the bodies do not want to let me use shutter priority mode with these lenses............anyone know what is going on?

Woody
YEs, I know; the Leica spirits are MAD at you
:ROTFL:

BTW, congrats on 38th! (though I do beat you by almost a year-39th on the 12th.)

best regards
Victor

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I want to add another small absolutely necessary accessory for the D3 that costs peanuts, yet makes a real difference: the Nikon DK-19 "Big eyecup". This now has a locking collet ring that means (unlike the old model) IT WILL NOT FALL OFF!!! (How many here have lost one on location?

:)

Much better viewing through the finder. Five star recommendation from me.

woodyspedden

Kit

Jim Lakey at Brightscreen has a magnifier for the D3 which also uses the big eyecup (This magnifier is a brand new design). I put one on my D3 and it makes focusing even better (I also have the 13mm prism screen) and I don't lose the edges of the finder.

Woody