The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Proscreen from Brightscreen for D3: Wow!

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
God—an even BIGGER finder!!! Great work, Jim.

I will stick with the present combo for now; I do have a bunch of macro work coming up (a manual for rebuilding coffee machines) where I will be using the 50/2 and 100/2 pretty much exclusively, so may reconsider the magnifier than. Cheers, and has Guy got his D3 yet???

Stuart Richardson

I am resurrecting this thread because I received my Proscreen for the D3 the other day. I don't know how to put this politely, but I was not impressed. I have a brightscreen for the Leica R9, and that worked brilliantly, but the one I got for the D3 worked quite poorly for me. It was dimmer than the stock screen, and while the big 13mm microprism center area with split rangefinder was helpful at times, I find it too intrusive to the view in the camera. It focused accurately, but I found that even manual focus was easier using the stock screen. I thought I just put it in wrong or something the first time, but I took it out and in several times, all with the same results. In comparison to the R9, using an f/2 lens with the brightscreen was far dimmer and more difficult to focus than the R9 with a f/2.8 lens. I totally wanted to love this, but it was a huge letdown. Even if it were free, I would not choose to have it replace the stock screen, yet it was 200 dollars. So back it goes. I will either get a refund or exchange it for the magnifier.

I was debating whether to post this, but I just wanted to offer another opinion. I am also completely willing to concede that the screen itself might be defective in some way, but given that it did focus accurately in both AF and MF when it was in, I think it had to have been in correctly. Also, there is pretty much only one way those screens will fit in...

charlesphoto

Stuart,

Thanks for this info. I've been considering one of these but may put it off for now. I have a Zeiss 25mm coming and thinking about a 35 as well (hmm, and who knows what else) and thought the screen might be a big help.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

neils

Stuart

Thanks for posting your impressions of the screen. Based on heresay I got the E screen for my D3 as legend had it MF was better. Nah, t'ain't so IMO.

My MF problems are all in my head, right where my eyes are. I'm 52, not 22 and AF is better than I am.

Charles

Be sure to post some Z25 examples and impressions when you get it. Curious how you find MF with the D3 and the 25.

Neil

charlesphoto

I will. And if I don't sell my 24 AFD before I get the Zeiss maybe I can do a comparison with that and the 17-35 at 24mm.

I use manual focus a lot as it is so am hoping the mf on the zeisses to be more exacting and smoother. The achilles heel of the D3 is the weak reach in the frame of the af focus points. I do a lot of composing to the outside of the frame and am always brought up short by the af points.

I'm also hoping the Zeiss glass will match up closer with my Leica glass on the M8 (and the Zeiss 18 M) so that some personal projects I'm working on I can use both the 8 and the 3.

Trying to nail down a relatively simple system so doing lots of trying (and therefore buying/selling) of wider primes. Of course once I have it all figured out Nikon will come out with some killer new ones!

woodyspedden

I like the 13mm prism only myself. Have to see what he has available.

Thanks Kit and Kurt,hearing from folks I trust and respect makes this purchase much easier on me for the D3. Just did not want to chase my tail and honestly getting good info on other forums on it was driving me nuts. No one knows how to give good advice it seems without the food fights.
Guy

I have been away from the forum for a couple of days but let me add my support for Jim's 13mm screen on the D3. I actually bought my D3 from Jim back in January and since then he has taken my body and fitted his prototype magnifier for the 13mm screen as well. When it comes to manual focus, like with the Zeiss lenses this combination is unbeatable. JMHO

Woody