The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D300 on the job/ First gig

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well here in Kansas and felling a bit chilly, this is not the desert folks. Well the D300 went into service today and it scored very high marks but left me in the cold too a little. Not it's fault though the 24mm shift was not wide enough and I had to press into service the 17-35 which worked but I really wanted to use the 24 shift . BTW it is sharper than the zoom . Which is nice to know and brings me to some final conclusions but first some highlights. Okay live view is no freaking joke it is extremely useful and I used it a lot today. I am in some extremely small aircraft with lights out because i need to fire the strobes with model lights out and drag the shutter for the screens. So you bloody can't see and worse yet makes it really hard to focus. Live view to the rescue. So how doe live view focus in the dark. Ah ha caught you, SB 800 to the rescue there is a button on the SB800 that gives a almost continuos light for about 4 seconds with hundreds of pulsating light which was enough for AF to kick in and focus than i switch the lens to manual so it would not hunt. Old dog learned great trick today. I also can't tell you how nice the info is in shooting mode. Basically the top deck info on back LCD when you can't move and look on top this is a guardian angel . now a 3 inch LCD is something to write home about , Art director and me chimping all day with no need for laptop plus the zoom and pan on this are as fast as it gets. Okay image time this was with the 17-35 and it is lit for a specific purpose . I still need to clean up and such but a good idea

Guy Mancuso

Most screens will be replaced with updated electronics.

Now here is when a shift is the only tool in the bag that can get the job done. This is the co-pilot side of the cockpit and I am in the middle and the seats will NOT allow me to move one inch, this is a tight aircraft folks. So the shift to the rescue. I placed in vertical with live view and all my tricks than got as close as I could to that side but than shift the lens over to the right to get in the frame. No other lens in the world can do this but a shift or a T/S lens.

Guy Mancuso

Most screens will be replaced with updated electronics.

Now here is when a shift is the only tool in the bag that can get the job done. This is the co-pilot side of the cockpit and I am in the middle and the seats will NOT allow me to move one inch, this is a tight aircraft folks. So the shift to the rescue. I placed in vertical with live view and all my tricks than got as close as I could to that side but than shift the lens over to the right to get in the frame. No other lens in the world can do this but a shift or a T/S lens.

Guy Mancuso

Again need clean up and instruments replaced and such. Doing shoots like this you realize what gear can get stuff done. So reality is I need to switch thinking some and press this Nikon system into commercial mode more and with that I also realized I need the D3 and D300 both as primary and backups in the system. So with that comes sacrifice and a change of thinking. My M8's will have to become more personal, travel and workshop tools and still do some commercial work when i need to pull the detail out of the hat. Hard to beat a M8 but hoping the D3 can get me close. Fro MF work right now and other stuff i have to wait to Photokinia and see what comes next. The Leica R10 may be in the cards but I need to work today and the Nikons will fill that gap at least to we know what is next for sure. I can't wait until delivery of one. But I am not getting rid of my M8 system but I can get by with one less body and one lens which is so close to my 21mm Leica that is makes almost no sense anyway except it is extremely sharp . So One M8 up for sale and one Zeiss 18mm to get a D3 and still get my 50 pre asph for the M8 I hope. I simply have to listen to business needs instead of what my heart wants. You just can't have it all but I try too. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Peter it is the new Nikon 24mm T/S which also rotates. Very nice lens Nikon just introduced with the Nano Crystal coatings which are also in the new 14-24, 24-70, 60 macro, 105 macro. These are all new offerings from Nikon and extremely good from all reports so far

Guy Mancuso

BTW I am not leaving Leica gear in anyway just pairing down to a better setup for me. I still will have a 12mm cv,21, 28cron,35 cron version IV, 50 pre- asph and 75 cron
and one body , a great kit and lucky to have it.

Guy Mancuso

Another cockpit today. This is a Mooney small than a darn Hot Wheels. I actually had to spread my two Gitzo legs all the way up to the back seat and sit on them . There was no room for me

PeterA

Thanks Guy - look sliek that shift lens does a great job. I have been a very naughty boy today...not saying ANYTHING.:D

Guy Mancuso

BTW battery lasted all day . And pretty much on the whole time with Live view and chimping. Pretty impressed by that

S

S.P.

Well the D300 went into service today and it scored very high marks but left me in the cold too a little. Not it's fault though the 24mm shift was not wide enough and I had to press into service the 17-35 which worked but I really wanted to use the 24 shift .
On the D3 the 24mm shift would just be right for this kind of work. :thumbup:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
The 24/3.5 TS and the D3: a match made in heaven. I have an ongoing gig this year (documenting an architect's work, spread out over a year or two) and that lens will bring home the bacon.

Guy: using the shift that way for the co-pilot? That's a pro at work! cheers, kl

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
forgot to add: the big batteries on the D3 last forever (I can't say how long, as I always charge them at noght) but I have never flattened one, not even chimping and using the 70-200 VR all day (~600 shots).

AND if you have that little BL-3, the same battery will fit the D300, in the grip. Still a lot lighter than the D3, and yet with a similar control surface. Perfect for when the extender is just not enough, and much more to hang on to in portrait mode.

robmac

I think PeterA has a MFD kit winging it's way to the land of Fosters (among other VERY choice attractions..;>)

S

S.P.

forgot to add: the big batteries on the D3 last forever (I can't say how long, as I always charge them at noght) but I have never flattened one, not even chimping and using the 70-200 VR all day (~600 shots).

AND if you have that little BL-3, the same battery will fit the D300, in the grip. Still a lot lighter than the D3, and yet with a similar control surface. Perfect for when the extender is just not enough, and much more to hang on to in portrait mode.
With the first charge I got over 1500 shots out of my D3-battery!
The D3 and D300 is really a dream team.
I had the D300 with me on a 6 week journey to thailand, laos, cambodia and had absolutly no problems with the camera.
The dust removal is working fine, too.

robertwright

and I thought I had it hard shooting recording studios which are all inevitably long narrow hallways with a 10 foot mixing board that they want vertical for a magazine cover. the 12cv is my only hope...nice work.

I can see the live view is something very useful, like 4x5 groundglass but brighter.

maybe there is a H3D in your future with a 38mm?