The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D300 on the job/ First gig

David K

Workshop Member
Nice work Guy, glad you got to put that 24 T/S to work. Looks like the vertical shift was just what the doctor ordered for this gig. Let us know when your D3 comes in :) BTW, love the way you light these cockpit shots... very professional looking, but no surprise there.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Robert, better than a ground glass: the LCDs on both go a magnification or two *below* pixel level! I do all my checking at the third level from the max: if it's sharp there, it's sharp. Not sure what mag. is possible in Live View, though, when composing.

Sorry to say I have not ventured into Live View yet, on either bodies, but it will happen soon, I am sure. Nice to have the option.

robertwright

On the M8 I find it really hard to evaluate sharpness on the LCD.

truth be told I have exactly the same profile as Guy, I have been using the M8 for the past year for nearly everything, save for corp. portraiture where I used the canon 85mm 1.2. (moire was giving me fits) However, I have been looking for an slr (to own, not rent) that would give me more flexibility as a second body in addition to the M8.

The things putting me off the nikon are variously

backwards aperture/focus turning, since I would like to use the camera manually, would have to get used to that

need to change brightscreen-seems to be solved according to users here

need to dump various canon accessories like flash and buy all new gear, adds to total outlay

also that strange overall red "flash" in the viewfinder when the af lights up. what is that? I'm not talking about the individual focus rectangles, the whole screen lights up. I first saw it on the D200 and thought, wtf? If you turn off the rectangles it goes away, but then how do you choose a focus point with the controller?

the forum has been great! these are the real choices we have to make with our ever shrinking dollars...

Chris C

Guy - HI. I've been tracking these threads for some time but this is my first post.

It seems inevitable that I will end up with a D300, and I'm particularly interested to learn more [lots more actually] about the 24mm shift lens. I realise they are hardly common, but now you are able to operate a 31 hour day without sleep - are you likely to reveal more about working the PC 24? Would it warrant it's own thread?

I wrote to you a while back; have you discovered the addictive joy of remote firing Nikon Speedlights from the D300 pop-up flashgun set to commander yet? Flash used to be complicated.

Wishing you good luck with the forum.

.............. Chris

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
With all the buying and selling around here the forum might need one of these for deliveries. 180mm 2.8 lens

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy - HI. I've been tracking these threads for some time but this is my first post.

It seems inevitable that I will end up with a D300, and I'm particularly interested to learn more [lots more actually] about the 24mm shift lens. I realise they are hardly common, but now you are able to operate a 31 hour day without sleep - are you likely to reveal more about working the PC 24? Would it warrant it's own thread?

I wrote to you a while back; have you discovered the addictive joy of remote firing Nikon Speedlights from the D300 pop-up flashgun set to commander yet? Flash used to be complicated.

Wishing you good luck with the forum.

.............. Chris
Hi Chris glad you are here. I did use the commander once to try it, very very cool and I see lot's of ways to use this feature.

I will go over the 24mm shift in the morning , beat up tonight. But i did get a cockpit today that let me back far enough to use it until the D3 is purchased. Certainly sharper than the 17-35 zoom