The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D300 or GRD2 - Which one to Paris/Venice

popum

Thanks all for the advice.

Interestingly I did own the 18-70 at one point. It was the kit lens that came with my D70. I sold it with the body some time ago. Looking back through my photos I see that it was very sharp on the D70.

So.... I'm getting another 17-70 for the trip and will bring both cameras.

Thanks all

Mike

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I call it "el cheapo", or the "plastic fantastic". I always feel good about shooting with it because, even though it feels appalling to use (compared to the ZFs), it makes great images AND I don't care if gets wrecked! It's very early here (and my girlfriend has dragged me out of bed to go for a walk!!!). congratulations on your anniversary, and show us some pics on your return.

Terry

I call it "el cheapo", or the "plastic fantastic". I always feel good about shooting with it because, even though it feels appalling to use (compared to the ZFs), it makes great images AND I don't care if gets wrecked! It's very early here (and my girlfriend has dragged me out of bed to go for a walk!!!). congratulations on your anniversary, and show us some pics on your return.
LOL - Kit I went to B&H today to get a better feel for what each of the lenses felt like on the D300. Played with the 18-70, 16-85, 24-70, and 17-55....the first 18-70 was zooming like two pieces of sandpaper rubbing together and I was thinking to myself :wtf: was Kit talking about. The second version (they all get abused on the shelf) felt better but your platic fantastic appalling comment above just made me laugh out loud.

Last edited:

Terry

Hmmm did you look at the 17-35
Guy,
I was looking for something that got me close to around 70 to have a 2 zoom kit. Kit had recommended the 18-70 which I hadn't ever looked at. My other lens will be 70-300. I felt ending at 35 left me too much of a hole.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well you could go with a used 28-70 still relatively small but a much better lens than some of the consumer models. We will look around at Camera West

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
After all of this talk about how good the 18-70 was, I picked up a used one. I have the 17-35 and 28-70, but I thought it would be handy to have this one for a lightweight carry-about lens to go with the 70-300 VR. I'm anxious to see how it stacks up. It is almost a joke to buy a <$200 lens after buying Leica M glass.:ROTFL:

popum

Hello All

Thank you for your comments.. I' m here in Paris with the D300 (18-70) and the GRD2. I found that I'm carrying the Nikon most places and my daughter is using the GRD. Lots of pictures to process when I get home but I thought 'd share an unusual Paris shot with you.

I walked into an art gallery that had show where the room was filled with guitars, amplifiers, and about 30 birds that were just flying around..... Great fun.

Will post more when I get home.

Mike

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
That 18-70: IMHO, the unsung hero of the digital revolution. <$200.....

As Guy said, about the same as an IR cut filter—if it has the L name on it! Mike, that image made me smile.

Cindy: another cheap great plastic lens is the FF 24-85, also ƒ3.5-4.5, and even smaller than the 18-70! Don't be put off by the feel; shoot a few pics and see if you like the results. On the D3, it's flat out amazing, and on the D300, through some alchemy, there is no CA. 24–85 (assuming FF) is definitely my favourite range (and why the 24–70/2.8 is my main workhorse on the D3, too). When zooming with your feet, 24 is really wide.

cheers, KL

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
That 18-70: IMHO, the unsung hero of the digital revolution. <$200.....

As Guy said, about the same as an IR cut filter—if it has the L name on it! Mike, that image made me smile.

Cindy: another cheap great plastic lens is the FF 24-85, also ƒ3.5-4.5, and even smaller than the 18-70! Don't be put off by the feel; shoot a few pics and see if you like the results. On the D3, it's flat out amazing, and on the D300, through some alchemy, there is no CA. 24–85 (assuming FF) is definitely my favourite range (and why the 24–70/2.8 is my main workhorse on the D3, too). When zooming with your feet, 24 is really wide.

cheers, KL
Kit: My 18-70 just arrived today, but I haven't opened the box up yet. I can tell by the size of the box that it is much smaller than my 17-35 f/2.8 and the "Beast" (28-70 f/2.8).

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
A pleasure. Cindy, hanging around on places like this has taught me many things; one of them is to ignore reviews, largely—and try something out, if you can. Let us know how you find it—another great thing about these plastic lenses is that you can get rid of any you don't like on ebay or similar, and hardly lose any money. Leica and Ziess, OTOH...

:)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
To me MTF charts are just that charts. I want to see what something does. Firm believer in trying it out than decide to keep it.