The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Distagon question... again!

I read thru a lot of the posts, and I'm considering a 21 Distagon over the Nikkor 14-24.

Anyone have any input on this? I'm torn to say the least, but I just don't see me wanting to lug that beast around in the city when traveling. I was going to get an M8 w/ a 21 or 28, but can't pull it off... now. So I was thinking the 21 on my D700 would be a great stop gap.

Any input here?

Thanks!

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
FWIW i'm among those who favour the 21 over the 14-24, though it really depends on your own specific intended use. You basically have to judge for yourself whether you could live without the extra WA and AF.

In the affirmative, it is a superb optics, great colors, practically no CA, pretty much unmatched full frame resolution in the category, allowing minimal close up distance when required/wanted (with great effect), outstanding construction...

In one word, you'll probably love the Zeiss... if you're ready to deal with a MF prime.
Otherwise, get the Nikkor :)

P.S. probably you've seen some examples in the posts you've been browsing through... otherwise i can point you to some Z21 files...

Thanks for the quick response!

I think I am ready seeing that I was going to get an M8. Do you use a Katz or something similar for focusing?

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the quick response!

I think I am ready seeing that I was going to get an M8. Do you use a Katz or something similar for focusing?
Nope, for one thing i hate the idea of messing up the original internal organs of any camera -especially when it has possible effects on focusing, metering etc. Not saying there are too many issues reported -some is enough ... But that's me :)

OTOH as stated in ther threads, an alternate possibility of great help with MF lenses consists in using the DK-17M magnifying eyepiece -possibly in conjunction with the DK-19 eyecup.

Having said that, focusing on a "standard" D700 is really OK (especially if you mostly shoot @ f2.8 to f8).

edit: regarding focusing the Zeiss compared to equivalent lenses on the M8, i cannot offer any insight except that you might ask for further advice. Some posters here had mentionned that the Leica counterparts were faster to focus. Probably not the Zeiss M-Mount, though.

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Digillyod(a pay site) has tests of all the ZF lenses including the 21/2.8ZF and compares it directly to the Nikkor 14-24/2.8 .

The performance of the two lenses are both "best in class" ..your results will be affected more by your technique and post processing than the lenses.

The Nikkor is more adaptable being a zoom and providing both a wider and narrower field of view. Its also AF and completely compatible with the Nikon flash system.

The disadvantage is that the 14-24 is IMHO too large and the front element is huge. No filters can be used . I have one and never use it because of the size and handling.

I don t have the 21zf but I do have and use the 18/28/35 etc ...these are really great lenses . If you can deal with manual focus they are really superb with a D700. The 21 tests as the best in the wide angles.

Some individuals swear by the Katz screens but the issues are pointed out above ...I stuck with my std screen to avoid calibration issues. Highly recommend the DK-17M .

You might also consider the 28/2 which has the advantage of being faster and balances wonderfully on the D700...much smaller than the 21....see the zeiss website for relative sizes. If your focus is landscapes go with the 21...if its travel,street etc the 28 size is a big advantage.

I went with the 21. It's a bigger lens than I thought it would be, but for true street work, I have a "bargain" grade 35-70 which is small, fast enough and still sharp enough.

HOWEVER....

Straight out of the camera w/ just a crop. I like that the metering is close enough and that the focus "dot" kicks in. I know I'll need to do a little calibration, but I'm pleased!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I have been happy with everyone of the ZF lenses and now with a D3X ...the character of each lens really shows. Not perfection but exceptional contrast and color depth....I enjoy them in pre dawn hours.