The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Favorite Shot of 2009

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
I don't have a favourite, never have. My best photo is always the next one, the one that's probably out there somewhere, waiting to be found and to be captured. Still, here's one which isn't necessarily the best one, but one that has a symbolic meaning that is important to me.

In this part of the world, and in most other third world countries, young women struggle to create a life for themselves, very often ending up being abused or simply getting pregnant with men who dump them as soon as they learn about the new, future family member, or simply because they find another girl who is even younger, cuter and more gullible. After which the girl has to start all over again, from scratch minus ten this time, having to create a life for themselves and a baby, very often without any support from others whatsoever.

If I could wish for one thing only for the new year and all the years that follow, it would be to change the attitude of men, to take responsibility for their actions, and not just run away, starting another disaster elsewhere, which unfortunately many of our kind do far too often... and this does not only apply to the act of creating babies.
Was about to address this, but Osman did it in the mean time with such nice words that i'll simply borrow them...

Jorgen, I'm much impressed by your heartfelt way of describing the terrible inequality between sexes, in the majority of countries all over the world. Chained by false legends of 'decency', 'traditions', 'virtue' and so forth, and cloaked under veils, head-scarves, they are constant reminders to us that technical prowess does not necessarily guarantee wisdom, justice and a better life for all. May your wishes come true.

Thank you and kind regards,

Osman
So true.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Hey Leica 77, good to see you around! This shot of yours was indeed of my favourites in the For Fun thread... a lively scene brilliantly captured!

(also remember the multi-reflection shot of the downtown shop window, another great one of yours)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
No personal "favourite" either, though rapidly browsing 09' images, the one below made its way because of the story behind (see this page http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=157919&highlight=cabin#post157919, post #1963 and below).

A bit of inspiration on human dedication and realization when facing adverse fortune. Unfortunately a highly topical matter throughout the world this past year.

Hopefully the one to come will be better in this regards, too.

Lloyd

No personal "favourite" either, though rapidly browsing 09' images, the one below made its way because of the story behind (see this page http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=157919&highlight=cabin#post157919, post #1963 and below).

A bit of inspiration on human dedication and realization when facing adverse fortune. Unfortunately a highly topical matter throughout the world this past year.

Hopefully the one to come will be better in this regards, too.
This was a really nice series Corlan. Interesting and impressive people.

shtarka1

Very inspiring photo's & powerful,important messages!
Matt & Lloyd, i cant believe you let the 200vr 2 go!:confused:

Lloyd

Very inspiring photo's & powerful,important messages!
Matt & Lloyd, i cant believe you let the 200vr 2 go!:confused:
Yeah, pretty crazy. :eek:

Truth is, I found that I was defaulting to the 70-200 more often, and also (and this was the deciding factor) I wanted to by a Noctilux for my Leica. I wish I hadn't sold it sometimes. But I was interested to see Bjorn Rorslett's review (not yet published, but put up in sections on the forums on Nikonians), that other than the advantage of f2 over f2.8, he felt there was almost no distinguishable difference between the 200 VR and the new 70-200 VRII

Lloyd

I've had a hard time deciding, and concluded that, like Jorgen, I don't really have a favorite. Different images evoke different emotions for me.

This shot is special to me because it's of Mimi and our youngest grandchild. We hadn't met him yet, as he and his parents live across the country from us. We finally got back to see them when he was about a month old. This was the first time Mimi held him. I think her face speaks volumes.

Leica 77

Hey Leica 77, good to see you around! This shot of yours was indeed of my favourites in the For Fun thread... a lively scene brilliantly captured!

(also remember the multi-reflection shot of the downtown shop window, another great one of yours)
Hi Corlan,

Many thanks for remembering some of my images in the Nikon threads. It has been an exciting year looking at your excellent images and reading your in-depth discussions on a number of issues that are of artistic, technical and interpretive importance. We all benefited so much from your contributions. Our leader Lloyd has been truly outstanding in terms of providing all of us a great deal of advice, encouragement, and compassion. During the course of past year, we have developed a nice circle of photo enthusiasts from many parts of the world. I wish you all the best for the New Year 2010! Kind regards, Leica 77.

Leica 77

Excellent shot, Leica 77.
Osman
Hi Osman,

Season's Greetings! It has been my great pleasure getting to know your fabulous talents through the images that you have posted in this Forum. Your images have inspired many of us. Best wishes for the New Year 2010! Leica 77.

Leica 77

I've had a hard time deciding, and concluded that, like Jorgen, I don't really have a favorite. Different images evoke different emotions for me.

This shot is special to me because it's of Mimi and our youngest grandchild. We hadn't met him yet, as he and his parents live across the country from us. We finally got back to see them when he was about a month old. This was the first time Mimi held him. I think her face speaks volumes.

Hello My Good Friend Lloyd,

Your images have certainly evoked deep warm feelings and touched our hearts. Only a few masters can do that and we are most fortunate that we have been able to learn so much from you in this Forum. Though it has been just about a year since I started to post some of my images in your thread, it seems I have known you much longer than a year. You have certainly made a profound impact on the way I see and appreciate the world around us. Very best wishes to you and all your loved ones, Leica 77.

Lloyd

Your images have certainly evoked deep warm feelings and touched our hearts. Only a few masters can do that and we are most fortunate that we have been able to learn so much from you in this Forum. Though it has been just about a year since I started to post some of my images in your thread, it seems I have known you much longer than a year. You have certainly made a profound impact on the way I see and appreciate the world around us. Very best wishes to you and all your loved ones, Leica 77.

Thank you, my friend. Truly... I'm honored beyond words. I'm grateful to have found this forum, and to have you and other members here offer such support and inspiration. I know in your case in particular, I'm be very much inspired by your wonderful images from so many parts of the world I've never had the opportunity to visit. I've lived vicariously through your vision, and I'm grateful for that privilege. Thank you.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Wonderful images everyone!

It's tricky picking a favorite, not because I have so many great ones, but memory and sentiment sometimes get in the way. This shot shows a 1950 John Deere tractor my brother restored from a rusting hulk that was sitting in a field for 40 years.

Every bolt and every piece was painstakingly removed and brought back to life and then the entire tractor was reassembled. This photo was taken on the day he turned the key for the very fist time after the rebuild. It started and ran perfectly on the first try. I was humbled by the effort and the perseverance.

The project is an example to me of how effective and important steady, careful work can be. It's not fancy or glitzy, but it represents something wonderful.

Best to everyone in 2010!
Tim

Lloyd

It's tricky picking a favorite, not because I have so many great ones, but memory and sentiment sometimes get in the way. This shot shows a 1950 John Deere tractor my brother restored from a rusting hulk that was sitting in a field for 40 years.

Every bolt and every piece was painstakingly removed and brought back to life and then the entire tractor was reassembled. This photo was taken on the day he turned the key for the very fist time after the rebuild. It started and ran perfectly on the first try. I was humbled by the effort and the perseverance.

The project is an example to me of how effective and important steady, careful work can be. It's not fancy or glitzy, but it represents something wonderful.

Tim
That's awesome, Tim. Great choice.

simonclivehughes

I didn't do a lot of shooting with my D700 this year. More than anything, I've been shooting my G1/GH1/GF1 cameras. When I do take the D700 out, however, I'm always reminded of why I still have it.

This was shot with the ZF 35mm f2 lens. It's not an outstanding shot, but there's something about it I find very appealing.

View attachment 26313

Cheers,

Last edited:

otumay

Hi Osman,

Season's Greetings! It has been my great pleasure getting to know your fabulous talents through the images that you have posted in this Forum. Your images have inspired many of us. Best wishes for the New Year 2010! Leica 77.
Thank you very much, Leica 77. I am honored by what you have written. I am sometimes unable to express myself fully, but I am sure you'll understand.
Best wishes for 2010.
Best,
Osman

otumay

Leica 77 have described my feelings as well, Lloyd. I am indebted to you for your images, for your motivating responses and guidance.
Best,
Osman

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member

Tim
Hi Tim,
sounds like your brother should meet my guys down the canal! :thumbup:
Looking forward to see more of your always delicate, beautifully processed shots this year. :)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
I didn't do a lot of shooting with my D700 this year. More than anything, I've been shooting my G1/GH1/GF1 cameras. When I do take the D700 out, however, I'm always reminded of why I still have it.

This was shot with the ZF 35mm f2 lens. It's not an outstanding shot, but there's something about it I find very appealing.

Cheers,
Indeed a good one, Simon. Some of the product names are pretty funny by the way... a lot of colors and sense of humor there :)

Instant family classic, without doubt. One amongst many other fine portraits in your book... thanks for sharing all those moments with us, Lloyd.

Last edited: