The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon AF system

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well as much as a manual guy i am , I do have to say the AF system is amazing. I shot at least 30 images of three planes in landing mode and used continuous follow focus and the sucker just does not miss. I wish i was this good. 180 here

Guy Mancuso

3 frames latter still tracking like dog after a rabbit.

BTW that is how you land in a cross wind , wind down into the wind. In this case left wheel first hits the deck

gogopix

Subscriber
Yup, slip rather than crab.

But in the old days with a J-3 or a Luscomb, landing sideways and taking the crab off at the last minute sure was exciting!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
We do the wing low cross-control technique now.
Keeps one wheel pointed down the runway.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I saw that,
THAT is NOT the wing low cross-control technique.
That is the old stabilized approach an de-crab at the last instant and loose control technique.
-bob

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
I hadn't seen it. Thanks! That was awesome. Reminds me of the good old days of Kai Tak Airport in Hong Kong. There are tons of great shots taken from that airport as well.

gogopix

Subscriber
I'm sure during his approach he saw the cross-control would put his rt wing too low and attempted crab.
Should have changed runways or found another field!

Looks like he recovered without much damage.
Planes are tough

Victor

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Guy: nice work.

I agree, that continuous focus (if you use a relatively small group of sensors, and keep an eye on what they are locked on to!) can do better than I can, MF-wise, for sure.

Horses for courses

dhsimmonds

Nice photo's Guy, but pity about the "frozen" propellor or perhaps the engine really had stopped!!?

Getting the shutter speed just right for prop. aircraft is always difficult in aviation photography which is why I prefer to photograph jets!

Guy Mancuso

Exactly Dave. I was playing it save for this one and normally I only shoot jets. This general aviation stuff is completely different stuff all around. The cockpits are just pure hell to shoot in. I actually had to sit on two tripod legs for one of them because there was no room by even a inch in either direction. Than i got stuck in the damn thing and could not get out. It was pretty funny and i lost 25 lbs just imagine if i was my fat self. LOL

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
skylane full rpm is 2400rpm which is one rotation each 1/40 second.
So if you want about one third of a turn of prop blur, try 1/125 during
the takeoff roll and maybe 1/30 to 1/60 on the landing flare.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Bob , when I was out there one guy did do the crab style. Have to say that looked really weird to do. Bunch of aircraft techs out there with me and they were laughing pretty hard on that one. It does look like a crab landing

gogopix

Subscriber
skylane full rpm is 2400rpm which is one rotation each 1/40 second.
So if you want about one third of a turn of prop blur, try 1/125 during
the takeoff roll and maybe 1/30 to 1/60 on the landing flare.
-bob
But you will blur the plane, which is still going 100' per second

Shoot quartering from front (or back); tell the pilot to full throttle right bfore touchdown and go around. You'll get some blur at 1/1000 but the plane image will be in focus since only edges will move outward. and much less than 100'/sec (cosine and all that)

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
49 knots finals speed with full flaps comes out to about 82 feet per second, at a 60degree quartering angle that reduces it to 41 feet per second and that is not too difficult to pan to follow and get a nice sharp shot since I would expect that you would find a shooting position at least 100 feet away (the wingspan is about 36 feet if I remember correctly and typical runways at larger airports are 100-150 feet wide).
With panning, you don't need to coordinate with the pilot.
-bob

gogopix

Subscriber
yes, panning can help. Takes some skill. I forgot with the Nikon, the focusing is handled, so you just need to pan and frame.

For those of us still with MF, it's a bit trickier (though my hands HAVE had 65 years experience in working!

harmsr

Workshop Member
Here are few plane shots that I took panning and at 1/320 for the prop, 1/800 or 1/1000 for the fast moving jets.

Last edited:

harmsr

Workshop Member
Those were with my old D200 on continuous focus mode, panning, and a lens with no VR.

The Nikon focus system works really well. However on a 300mm lens (450 on the cropped D200 sensor), I did have to basically prefocus manually in order to avoid the lens hunting while trying to find the planes farther out and then tracking them as they approached.