The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First D300 Outing

Terry

Spring has finally sprung in NYC. My friends helped me test out the new D300 and my large assortment of expensive Nikon glass (50mm f1.8 - cost new $105).

Jamie really wanted to be taller than David (about 6'4") ....

View attachment 2757

View attachment 2759

View attachment 2754

We decided to leave her in the tree
View attachment 2755

Image review captured by M8 and 50 Lux (not my best exposure)
View attachment 2761

I found using AWB on the Nikon the pictures came in very cool at color temps between 4300-4500 and I adjusted upwards to about 5200-5300. M8 as shot at the same time was at 5350. Normal for Nikon?

etrigan63

Hey Terry,
glad you are enjoying the D300. Can you do me a favor and post some high-ISO shots from it? I know the D3 has almost legendary high-ISO performance, but I would like to see how the D300 fares. I am following your route (M8 + D300 for what the M8 can't handle). Telephoto and sports come to mind.

My kids' school puts on a Gala Festival of the Arts every two years and the "professional" photographers hired by the school never seem to catch any photos of my children. Last show, I managed to sneak in my 1D Mk2 with a 70-200 f/2.8 L zoom I rented, but the photogs would get in the way. This year I plan on sitting up in the mezzanine and shooting from up there. Might pick up the D300 + 18-200 kit lens for that plus the 50mm 1.8 for that purpose. High ISO is pretty useless to me on the Mk2, which is why I rented the fast zoom. The Nikon kit lens is not so fast, so I have to compensate with ISO (VR is not too helpful here).

Terry

Hey Terry,
glad you are enjoying the D300. Can you do me a favor and post some high-ISO shots from it? I know the D3 has almost legendary high-ISO performance, but I would like to see how the D300 fares. I am following your route (M8 + D300 for what the M8 can't handle). Telephoto and sports come to mind.

My kids' school puts on a Gala Festival of the Arts every two years and the "professional" photographers hired by the school never seem to catch any photos of my children. Last show, I managed to sneak in my 1D Mk2 with a 70-200 f/2.8 L zoom I rented, but the photogs would get in the way. This year I plan on sitting up in the mezzanine and shooting from up there. Might pick up the D300 + 18-200 kit lens for that plus the 50mm 1.8 for that purpose. High ISO is pretty useless to me on the Mk2, which is why I rented the fast zoom. The Nikon kit lens is not so fast, so I have to compensate with ISO (VR is not too helpful here).
In this D3 thread Guy posted a number of 3200 shots. I can take shots in a dark restaurant or from my apartment with limited lighting but don't have anyplace like an auditorium to test.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1168&page=2

terry

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Nice Terry! Looks like you were having fun. More please. How are you finding the AF? Do you like it?

helenhill

Truly Fun Wonderful Shots...... Terry
The D300 colors seem to be Refined
I once had the D70 (when it first came out) and got rid of it because I did not like the greens & yellows / but obviously a different level camera
Great! Cheers - helen :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I wrote this in a e-mail to Terry on the WB. And i thought it would be good for others. Since this is a sun shot take a WB reading in the sun not the shade because that will run cooler. Sometime you will fool a camera , no question there the Nikons are no exceptions to this. But they are very good . My cockpits the other day are blue. The camera with long exposures than flash pops just does not have a clue there. Normal. But i will be keeping a eye on this of the D300. Folks also need to know too Nikons tend to look cooler than M8's and Canons, not a lot but it is there . Just need to be aware of it

Yes the white shirt is in the shade which is blue tone so it will be off there. Take a reading in the sun . Now if all else fails go for a black . Than adjust to taste

Guy Mancuso

BTW nice shots Terry and you captured the moment of fun. Simply cannot beat images of folks having fun

Guy Mancuso

One other trick. Notice here nice white teeth in the sun on one of them. Perfect to white balance off of than apply to the rest of the images. Guy's secret to getting stuff done fast

popum

Great shots Terry, really captured the spirit of your friends.

Here are a few more D300 shots from NYC. This time Union Square last Sunday (very clear day with very harsh light). The lens was the 17-35mm.

Mike

Terry

Nice Terry! Looks like you were having fun. More please. How are you finding the AF? Do you like it?
Thanks, it was a fun goofy time. The AF is very fast and I wasn't using the fastest of focussing lenses so it will get even better for me. Equally as easy is changing the focus point. I just have to break the habit of half press and recompose versus moving the focus point.

Terry

Great shots Terry, really captured the spirit of your friends.

Here are a few more D300 shots from NYC. This time Union Square last Sunday (very clear day with very harsh light). The lens was the 17-35mm.

Mike
Looks like I live in the boring part of town. So, if you use the 17-35 on D300 what is your next longer lens? I just came from B&H where I was trying to get a feel for all of the wide to normal zooms. 18-70, 16-85, 17-55 and 24-70.

Terry

Guy,

Thanks for the WB help. I do need to chuckle a little bit because the M8 really did get it right. Took a year for the firmware upgrade but they've nailed it. Now if I could get the M8 skin tones right in Lightroom I would be happy. Need to go back over it with you guys in Carmel because the red corrections don't seem to be working well for me - but I could have reversed things in my notes/

Guy Mancuso

Just because your having fun today does not mean all of us our. How's this for a chore . Replace toilet bowl plumbing, I'm on my way to the hardware store for the 3rd freaking time. Than my soon to be 18 year old tomorrow had 90 teenagers in my house for a party, yes they cleaned up and made it LOOK nice and clean. NOT so fast , like pushing the stuff under the bed deal. BTW when is my flight to Carmel , not soon enough. LOL

popum

Terry

The 17-35 is the only lens that I've purchased since getting the D300. I already had the 35/2, 50/1.8 and the 18-200VR. Not sure what, if anything, is next. Who am I kidding.... of course there will be something next... this is a disease.

Mike