The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D900?

tjv

www.nikonrumors.com

What you guys reckon. I'm not usually one to harp on about vaporware or rumors, but the more I shoot with the D700 the more I like the results. I'd love an upped MP count and 1080 video. If a D900 is to be a D3s chip and 1080p video, it would make more sense they called it a D700s. Maybe it's a significant upgrade? 24mp would probably convince me to leave my Mamiya 7 kit at home for most occasions, so I hope it's a more compact version of the D3x with video. Perhaps of more interest to me though would be some great, fast primes like a 35mm f1.4 and 24mm f1.4.

Anyway, kind of fun to speculate on a quiet night at home...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If the rumours are true, it's a completely new camera, except for the body and the possibly the sensor. The current Nikon processor isn't powerful enough to handle 1080p or 60 fps, and if they are going to get anywhere with video, which they probably have to, those two issues have to be taken care of.

There is some fantastic footage being created with the Canon 7D, also by sports PJs (have a look at this one http://vimeo.com/8090466 ), and this market is changing very fast. I believe we will see the D300s, D700 and the D3s replaced this year.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If they replace the D3s this year then I'll start giving Nikon a new name: Canon :thumbdown: That's the crap that Canon pulled back in the past ...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If they replace the D3s this year then I'll start giving Nikon a new name: Canon :thumbdown: That's the crap that Canon pulled back in the past ...
Nah... that would be totally in line with their previous routines. There were 16 months between the D70s and D80 (April '05 to August '06) and only 14 months between D2Xs and D3 (June '06 to August '07). Not only that, but at the same time, the D2Xs was overshadowed by the D300, which sold for a fraction of the price.

My guess is that they'll show a D4something with advanced video features at Photokina this autumn, and start deliveries in December/January.

tjv

There is some fantastic footage being created with the Canon 7D, also by sports PJs (have a look at this one http://vimeo.com/8090466 ), and this market is changing very fast. I believe we will see the D300s, D700 and the D3s replaced this year.
I'd believe this too. It's insane to think that while the D700 is for me an almost ideal camera, it will fall to the axe of progress soon enough. If they upgrade it to a video model I'd like to see a 100% viewfinder too.