The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Son;an R to F adapter?

gogopix

Subscriber
Sure there is only .5 mm what's that? about 1/7 the size of a current CY to EOS adapter?)
BUT, who needs infinity focus. Most street and even telephoto for wildlife will be quite in say for an 800mm lens (30") much focusing will be under 50 Focal lengths.
so, what is the THINNEST Leica R lens to Nikon F mount that can be made?
The mounts are pretty available no? only worry about funny pins etc like the Canon to fool the AF but cant be too bad since the ZF are MF.

Do you have a source? I would underwrite a prototype.

Let me know, or if anyone out there is willing to try or know someone. I will offer up to $1000 to have the first one made, then we can work out a future price for others. (I would only ask to recoup costs; any future profits, including first 'sale' to me, would be for the maker!)

With the Nikon showing some real promise, I think there may be some interest.

regards
Victor

PS Lots of options; stick an F on the back of a Leica R to M, or use a Visoflex to F and change the front, or swap an EOS for F etc. This doesnt have to be a 'blank sheet of paper" design

John M. ? any interest?

My departed father was a metal T&D master. I know he could have made it!

PeterA

I woudl be interested in any technical discussion about the feasability of an r to Nikon adaptor - must have infinity focus of course...

gogopix

Subscriber
I woudl be interested in any technical discussion about the feasability of an r to Nikon adaptor - must have infinity focus of course...
Peter, why insist on inf focus? not likely physically possible I am assuming that adding 3mm will still allow focus to a reasonable distance, say 100-200m for wildlife.

Except for landscapes and super wides, I can't think when I am at infinity. What I would use for is street, low light, and esp high iso for wildlife. With long lenses, even the MOON isnt at infinity :ROTFL:

regards
Victor

PeterA

Victor :

1. if you don't get infinity focus - you don't know where less than infinity focus is ... if you get my dfrift.

2. I like wide wides..

Pete

doug

I've seen it done by replacing the Leica R flange with a custom Nikon flange. The one sample I know of includes the little dimples that provide the aperture click-stops. Fully manual operation of course but it's easily reversible for when the SL-10 becomes available.

gogopix

Subscriber
I've seen it done by replacing the Leica R flange with a custom Nikon flange. The one sample I know of includes the little dimples that provide the aperture click-stops. Fully manual operation of course but it's easily reversible for when the SL-10 becomes available.
actually would rather change the Nikon body to Leica, as I want to use with a LOT of lenses, incl the modular telephotos (that one would NOT want to screw around with!)

I see on the Leica site (the one that discusses all the mounts and such) says that this has been done with other Nikon cameras. After all, it is ONLY 1700!:toocool:

Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
anybody doing it now (the co that did before, and went out of business, left shavings in the body!:D

I think it was 450.

If someone will do it for 500 bucks, I will be try it; only money (as he ducks shots from the West LOL

doug

Swapping flanges on the lens would be a MUCH cleaner conversion, not to mention easily reversible, and would leave the Nikon body usable with Nikon lenses. I've taken the flange (and aperture ring assembly) off the 280 f/4 APO. Mechanically it's a brilliant design and is very easy to service.

Oh yeah, I re-installed it too and it still works perfectly :grin:

gogopix

Subscriber
Swapping flanges on the lens would be a MUCH cleaner conversion, not to mention easily reversible, and would leave the Nikon body usable with Nikon lenses. I've taken the flange (and aperture ring assembly) off the 280 f/4 APO. Mechanically it's a brilliant design and is very easy to service.

Oh yeah, I re-installed it too and it still works perfectly :grin:
I think you are right. If I did get a D300 or D3 I would likely want the option of AF for some of the lenses (as well as the Zeiss option.)

anyway, what I mostly want it for is the modular for LONG telephoto. To get the stop action you need speed, for speed you need ISO.

So, any one out ther willing to tel me how to put an "F" flange on an R lens??
Victor

PeterA

I have sent an email to Panya advising him or our interest. I hope he gets it as it is a yahoo email adress and he hasn't posted on photo.net since 2006.

gogopix

Subscriber
Thank you Peter
He makes sound easy. not so sure.

Guy, didnt you have a tilt shify done the other way? (Nikon to Leica??)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Victor, my suggestion would be to just wait for the R10, but if they change the SLR mount it is good to know that at least there might be an adapter solution for the R lenses in the soon to come Sony "A900" or whatever the name will be ?

In his "Speculation on Sony" Mark Welsh (hubsand) writes:

"Another plus is the Minolta mount itself. Like Canon's EF mount (with a register of 44mm), it has a relatively short (44.6mm) flange distance, The significance of this will not be lost on many readers of this site, but for those not au fait with adapted lenses, the longer registration of Contax, Leica, Olympus, Nikon, Pentax, and Rollei lenses creates that crucial few mm in which to sandwich a mount adaptor. Planet Sony is about three years behind Canon when it comes to adapting lenses, but already there are serviceable AF-confirming M42 adaptors available enabling some great (and cheap) screw mount glass to be used – with SSS, lest we forget – on the Alphas."

The rest of it you can read here, it's a very interesting read:
http://www.16-9.net/sony_in_2008.html

Steen

V

Vivek

Shorter focal length R lenses are not that easy candidates for switching of their mounts.

Unlike Canon EOS mount (wide mouth), the Sony Alpha mount is fairly narrow. It isn't trivial at all to make an adapter (R lens to Alpha or Nikon F lens to Alpha mount) without corrective elements.

So, the choices are: wait for an R10 or switch to a better supported brand.

However, if you want to get the R lenses surgically (and permanently) modified to fit Nikon F cameras (stop down metering only), in principle, it is possible. Again, it is not trivial.

I have done it with a Summicron 50/2, as a trial. I would not do it again.

fotografz

Well, I was just about to order the ZF lenses and I decided to get a Hasselblad V to Nikon adapter instead. Cost $50. verses $3,000. 110/2FE @ ISO 12,800 ... Not bad ... LOL.