The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 70-200 VRII..QC issues?

ecsh

The main point here is that the area does nothing in the operation in the lens, and is purely cosmetic. Yes, crappy QC on Nikons part.

T

tetsrfun

The main point here is that the area does nothing in the operation in the lens, and is purely cosmetic. Yes, crappy QC on Nikons part.
Hope you a correct...I looked again at the lens last night and shining a bright pen light into the lens set at 200mm, I can see small, bright (metallic ?) particles on the sidewalls in the next "chamber". Will just have to see how this plays out.

Steve

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Sometimes ignorance is bliss ... I read those threads earlier this week also and it seems that there are a lot of folks stressing over this - probably unnecessarily.

T

tetsrfun

Sometimes ignorance is bliss ... I read those threads earlier this week also and it seems that there are a lot of folks stressing over this - probably unnecessarily.
I am more concerned with the fine, reflective (metallic ?) "dust" that I am now seeing inside the lens, rather than the defective "threads". Time will tell.

Steve

ecsh

Now it seems to be a poor electroplating job on that part, with new reports of flaking parts in the lens

T

tetsrfun

Now it seems to be a poor electroplating job on that part, with new reports of flaking parts in the lens
Doesn't explain the small silver specs in other parts of my lens. Apparently the threads that are defective are part of the lens assembly and not a "light baffle" as some have speculated.

"Hmm... think I'll wait some more! "

Good plan!! I ordered mine last August and it arrived shortly after the release date...This issue was reported after my 30 day return period.

Steve

GrahamWelland

I ordered mine last August and it arrived shortly after the release date...This issue was reported after my 30 day return period.

Steve
Well, the good news is that it is under warranty. In the case of the US for non-grey import lenses that means 5 years.

What I wouldn't want to do at this time is buy a used 70-200VR II, that's for sure.

Graham

T

tetsrfun

What I wouldn't want to do at this time is buy a used 70-200VR II, that's for sure.
And that is one of the strengths of "Pro" lenses...they maintain value at resale. How much has the value of my 70-200 VR II been degraded by this "defect", even if it doesn't affect function? Especially considering that the Nikon warranty is non-transferable?

Steve

GrahamWelland

And that is one of the strengths of "Pro" lenses...they maintain value at resale. How much has the value of my 70-200 VR II been degraded by this "defect", even if it doesn't affect function? Especially considering that the Nikon warranty is non-transferable?

Steve
I would wager nothing. If you want to sell it then you get Nikon to resolve any issues under warranty before you sell it.

There's always a market for used lenses.

T

tetsrfun

I would wager nothing.
I would agree if Nikon says what the problem is and what the solution is.

Steve

T

tetsrfun

Well things are looking better with the 70-200 VR II. I pre-ordered mine in August and it was delivered at the end of November. I was past the 30 day return period when I discovered the "problem". I just found out that it is considered a "holiday" purchase and the return period is extended to Jan. 31. It's going back in the AM. Will re-order when this issue is sorted out.

In addition to the "chipped" threads, I and others have notices silver (metallic ?) particulates in a different part of the lens. Someone posted a picture of this problem. Mine is about 1/2 as bad as the one shown.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/3a9765a889.jpg

Steve

T

tetsrfun

Quick up-date...Nikon says that the "pitted" metal and debris is within "standards" and it's not a problem. Hopefully I get a refund from Amazon because Nikon service won't "fix" it. What is a 70-200 VR II with these issues now worth on the "used" market?

Steve

GrahamWelland

Here's a suggestion. Turn the lens around and look through it from the other end using the camera ... :ROTFL:

My 70-200 also has the slight marks on the plastic baffle. The marks themselves are apparently production flaws from the casting of the piece and not due to mechanical faults, threads binding/tearing or any other such physical issue. The information I got from Nikon was that there should also be no particles loose inside the lens because nothing is in contact with the baffle (it's not a thread and these aren't shards) and the flaws are in the moulding. Part of the problem also is that you have to tilt and view the baffle through the front element - this magnifies significantly the internal parts plus you are also then looking at any dust on the front element (again it seems the more I look at it, the dustier my front element becomes).

Almost certainly Nikon will fix whatever quality issue they have with that baffle so that it doesn't have any visual flaws. Unfortunately a whole bunch of people have convinced themselves that the lens is now 'bad' ... perhaps good news for those others out there who might be able to pick up these 'bad' copies at a discount and still shoot with a wickedly sharp VR lens that will operate identically to any 'new' & 'improved' update.

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy using my lens. I could care less about resale because, quite frankly, I'm very happy with the lens and see no reason to sell it. If subsequently any problems do occur with the lens then I'll get Nikon to fix it under my 5 year warranty.

/cont 'Help, the sky is falling ...' :p

fultonpics

mine went back to store. opened another they had--worse. okay, i DOUBT there is any impact on images and this lens is BETTER than the previous one by a long shot. but i don't want a sub $1 part with a lousy plating job causing me mild trauma every time i happen to look down the barrel--not for the $2500 price of admission. the fix for nikon is SO easy....so they will fix it. then, i buy one.

T

tetsrfun

Official Nikon response:

"Air holes remaining in the metal portion may appear as surface pits in the process of component production. These pits look enlarged when viewed through the lens, but do not affect images, or strength, function and performance of the lens. The rough surface does not produce dust inside the lens."

I wasn't particularly worried about the pitted casting, it was the "silver particulates" that are, by the Nikon statement, a separate problem.

Steve