The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D700 won't turn off

doc4x5

Went out shooting in the Columbia Gorge today. When I got home, I noticed my D700 would not turn off. I removed the battery, the CF card, waited, tried a different battery, but each time I put a battery in it, it's ON! I tried wiggling the switch, all to no avail. It's less than a year old and still on warranty. Tomorrow I'll check on a repair, but wonder if anyone else has had this happen to them. I wonder if it's an omen telling me to either hurry up and get a D3x or wait for whatever Nikon is supposed to have up its sleeve in a few weeks.

Thanks for any help.

doc

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's an omen. Once the D700s, D700X, D800, D900 or whatever is released, all Nikon D700 cameras will start behaving like this. It's a new software actually, Camerajunkie 1.0.1b4, that will be installed in all digital cameras starting this year. Finally, the pushers have full control over our buying habits. No more of the "Even if Nikon launches the D900Xsp, my trusty old D70 will still keep working" comments on the internet forums. From now on, they won't. No more problems finding silly excuses why you need a new camera. When there's a new model, the old one will stop working. As simple as that :wtf:

If you see a firmware update for some old, discontinued camera, it's just a way for the camera manufacturer to sneak Camerajunkie in, so be aware :lecture:

Your camera seems to be a bit premature though. Probably a bug. Maybe it's linked to nikonrumors.com instead of Nikon's homepage. You should complain about that ;)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
You're kidding Jorgen, but they (read, the big corporations) kinda started to do similar things in a number of areas. In the consumer electronics department, one thing coming to mind are the lamps inside video projectors. Until recently you could happily wait till the darn thing went completely dead and possibly choose to live with slightly lessser performance (if any). New VPs embark a control system which decide in your stead when you do have to get a replacement lamp. Otherwise it will shut down on you -even though tests show that in most case the lamp status is still quite valid.

Needless to say, each bulb is proprietary and cost a small fortune -soon enough these will cost more than the gear, as it's already the case with many printers.

Technology definitely has some irritating aspects, for sure...

Beside that unfortunately i have nothing to offer in relation with the OP situation.
Never happened to mine, or heard of a similar annoyance. Weird.

Good thing it's still under warranty!

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thinking about the D700 issue more thoroughly... got a question fwiw:

Doc, do you use original, genuine Nikon batteries only on your D700?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The fact that the camera eventually turns off but back on again when another battery is used suggests that it might be as simple as an on-off switch that for some reason isn't maintaining open circuit when off is selected. Hopefully just some dirt perhaps.

doc4x5

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I have two official Nikon branded batteries.

My latest thought is that it's a message from my film cameras, medium format and 4x5 which have been sadly neglected in the last year since I got the D700. I think they are trying to say, "shoot film, shoot film," "digits are BAD!"

I'm about to send it off to Nikon for a warranty repair.

doc

simonclivehughes

Doc,

Not sure if this would help, but have you tried the Reset command to restore default settings (press and hold the two green dot buttons)?

Cheers,

doc4x5

Thanks to all. The camera is at Nikon California. I'll let the forum know what transpires when it returns.

doc

doc4x5

I just got my baby back today from Nikon. It works perfectly. They repaired the main power switch AND the cleaned the sensor, checked autofocus, flash, did an image test (whatever that is), and a whole bunch of other stuff, but I am one happy camper, and all on warranty.

doc

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Woohoo!! Welcome back. :salute:

The folks at El Segundo seem to do a pretty decent job. I had a D2x that lost it's mind (well, the meter did) and they fixed and returned that under warranty in less than two weeks. Also my 14-24 had an argument with a door jam and they replaced the helicoid, front element (yes, the big bulgy one!) and the fixed hood - for a staggeringly low $260. Same kind of turnaround. :thumbs: