The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Okay, Lens Help Please.

fotografz

Problem solved with the dim view finder. Pretty strange, but all's well that ends well.

It's been awhile since I shot Nikon (should have kept that 28/1.4 ... Grrrrrr.)

Now I've got the 17-35/2.8 and the 85/1.4 is winging it's way to me right now ... not interested in the new 14-24 no matter how good it is (I'd just fondle it but it'd never get used.)

Can't find a 200/2VR which I'd like to get ... but also need something in-between.

Nikon's lens selection seems slim compared to Canon.

Any suggestions?

(Can Leica R be adapted ... if so, which ones?)

PeterA

Sadly - we cant use Leica R on Nikon mount.

Have had the D3 for a week and climbing learning curve. I like the menu system and the programmable features as well as the way you can dial in non auofocus lenses and retirive them from menu when you shoot.

Re lenses, I very much like the Zeiss 100/2 - but the Nikon 105 is no slouch if you want autofocus. I love the Zeiss 28/2 one of the very best lenses I have ever owned (already) creamy bokeh, sharp as a tack and smooth silky focussing throw. it is pretty much stuck on the camera.

Like you currently not interested in the zoom wide, no matter how good the 14-24 zoom is supposed to be - I shoot wide with different formats. I hear great things about the 70-200VR also ( much lighter than canon equivalent) - but again I have the 70-180/2.8 Leica.

What a pity we cant use the Leica glass on Nikon....a perfect pairing with the awesome high ISO capability these D3's have.. Love the flash capability of Nikon - much easier and smarter than Canon.

Would like to hear your views on the 35-70 zoom. Again I have the Leica version and never liked the canon version.

i hear people changing focusing screens I think the standard screen is very good. The battery is a beauty.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Marc ,Zeiss 28 F2 WINNER just playing with it and I love the 85 1.4 also.Hold on to the 17-35 it works real nice for event stuff.

Here just a few quickies trying it out

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Marc, read David Farkas post # 8 about "AF" vs. "AF-S" in this thread:
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=19155#post19155

And then read my own post # 10 about Nikon being behind with regards to updating their wide-normal-shorttele primes to AF-S versions:
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14913#post14913

Finally maybe read my post # 109 about the improving glass situation, here:
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=577&highlight=lens+situation&page=6

I hope this can make for an initial inspiration.
Steen

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

It's really early in the morning and we are heading out to shoot this morning at Point Lobos on the workshop . So hopefully I can try this some more with the Zeiss lenses there very very nice a little CA wide open on all of them but not bad . This is at F8 very sharp. These images really are just around our hotel when on a break but gives you a pretty good idea on it.

Guy Mancuso

Here is the purple fringing at F2 . Full image . I was looking for exactly this.

Full image
100 percent crop
100 percent crop fixed with PS plug in

Guy Mancuso

So reality is still very good and easy to correct. I'm sure it goes away stopped down a touch . I consider this fairly normal for high speed lenses although Leica in general they handle this pretty well but even my 28 cron will do this.

harmsr

Workshop Member
I'll tell you what my lens lineup settled on after playing with a lot of different Nikon and Zeiss lenses.

ZF 28/2.0
ZF 50/2.0 Macro
Nikon 105/2.8 Macro VR
Nikon 24-70/2.8
Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR
Nikon TC-17EII teleconvertor

Like you I have no interest in the 12-24.

I also have the SB-800 for a great flash and the Brightscreen #2 Large Microprism Spot Screen.

This makes for a great kit from 24-200 (340 with the convertor).

The primes are very good, but so are these two zooms. I often take the Lowepro Flipside 300 backpack with just the D3, 24-70, 70-200, teleconverter, and SB-800 flash., to cover everything.

As you may have read I have tried all of the Zeiss glass and much of the Nikon, to settle on this kit. WORKS GREAT!!!!!!!

At some point in time, I will probably add the 200-400 for airshow work.

Best,

Ray

fotografz

No Manual focus stuff for me. Thanks for the recommends, but I've had my fill of it on 35mm DSLRs. AF all the way for this camera : -)

Gotta locate the 200/2 VR.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
No Manual focus stuff for me. Thanks for the recommends, but I've had my fill of it on 35mm DSLRs. AF all the way for this camera : -)

Gotta locate the 200/2 VR.
When I was looking for some of the Nikon zooms that were out of stock at all the familiar places....I just posted a where can I find it in FM,NikonCafe ,Nikonians . Never took even half a day. Lots of Nikon dealers with no web inventory . Someone is always walking in and you get a post almost immediately. Also a call to some of the larger stores will get a result. Like Roberts Imaging, Calumet etc. I got this advice from some long time Nikon users.

robmac

The difference in registration depth between Nikon and Leica is 0.5mm -- too thin for a workable adapter.

That said, if you could live with MF, I'm sure some bright spark could remove the R mount from say a 180/2.0 APO and install a mount of the suitable diameter/taper and thickness (taking registration distance from 46.5mm to 47mm) with the properly machined F mount flanges - or something similarly workable. I know the F mount diameter is narrow, but can't how it compares to Leica R, so that could cause some head-scratching.

All you need is a spare copy of your face R's to convert to F mount ;> Or wait until Zeiss expands their line up and down the FL range (rumored to be coming).

Last edited:

woodyspedden

I'll tell you what my lens lineup settled on after playing with a lot of different Nikon and Zeiss lenses.

ZF 28/2.0
ZF 50/2.0 Macro
Nikon 105/2.8 Macro VR
Nikon 24-70/2.8
Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR
Nikon TC-17EII teleconvertor

Like you I have no interest in the 12-24.

I also have the SB-800 for a great flash and the Brightscreen #2 Large Microprism Spot Screen.

This makes for a great kit from 24-200 (340 with the convertor).

The primes are very good, but so are these two zooms. I often take the Lowepro Flipside 300 backpack with just the D3, 24-70, 70-200, teleconverter, and SB-800 flash., to cover everything.

As you may have read I have tried all of the Zeiss glass and much of the Nikon, to settle on this kit. WORKS GREAT!!!!!!!

At some point in time, I will probably add the 200-400 for airshow work.

Best,

Ray
Ray

I know you say that you are not interested in the 14-24 for all the obvious reasons. But I tell you that if you shoot some of the scenes which require this lens you will find that you love it. It is addicting! Just MHO. YMMV

Woody

fotografz

Ray

I know you say that you are not interested in the 14-24 for all the obvious reasons. But I tell you that if you shoot some of the scenes which require this lens you will find that you love it. It is addicting! Just MHO. YMMV

Woody
Almost never use those focal lengths when shooting with a DSLR Woody. I know it's a great lens, but that's a lot of money for something I'd use twice and then sell it. I want the 200/2 VR which I'll use a lot at weddings when shooting in a dark church from the balcony.

woodyspedden

Almost never use those focal lengths when shooting with a DSLR Woody. I know it's a great lens, but that's a lot of money for something I'd use twice and then sell it. I want the 200/2 VR which I'll use a lot at weddings when shooting in a dark church from the balcony.
Marc

I am with you my friend. I would love the the 200 2.00 as I assume it is much like the 180 2.0 Leica for the DMR. Howeverm, having said that,I would still like to have thw14-24. Did some shots today inside the bedroom which could not have been done any other way, JMHO YMMV

Woody

harmsr

Workshop Member
Woody,

I'm like Marc, that I don't shoot the DSLR in the 14-24 range. However, I do agree it is a great lens from some shots that I was able to take with it. It is just not something I would hardly ever use.

Marc,

That 200/2.0 is a VERY NICE lens, but have you seen how large (HUGE) it is? Better start lifting weights.;) Seriously, you really might want to try the 70-200/2.8 VR lens. The 70-200 is a killer lens in a reasonable size, and with the D3 you might not really have to worry about the loss of one stop. Just a suggestion, because the 200 is HUGE. It is really a tripod mounted lens only.

Best,

Ray