The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Has anyone tried D3 files in Aperture?

jonoslack

Hi there
GAS is a terrible thing, and, of course, although I have no intention of buying a D3 (none at all):angel:, I realise that some other people MIGHT be thinking of it, and it's possible that they use Apple Aperture for their existing cameras.

So, for the sake of those people, I thought I'd ask if anyone had looked at the D3 files in Aperture?

etrigan63

I just tried a D300 file with no issues. I think D3 was included in the same update. If anyone wants to send me a D3 NEF (or a D3) ;) I will happily report on it.

woodyspedden

I am trying the Aperture 2.1 demo with my D3 and it works very well. Similar color results to Lightroom but the red is not as predominant.

Woody

harmsr

Workshop Member
Jono,

I am starting to like Aperture more and more with both the M8 and the D3. It works fine with both cameras and give nice colors as Woody states.

I have found Aperture better than Lightroom on its Raw Developer for the files. I am still evaluating it compared to Capture One and Capture NX.

I think Capture NX is out of the picture for me, as it does not save individual adjustment history to the files without manually doing so each time. It also does not work with my M8, nor have the nice workflow of Aperture.

Capture One Pro 3.7.8 currently does not work with the D3 files without occassional crashes and freezes.

Capture One 4 does work and is my other software that I'm evaluating in competition with Aperture.

Best,

Ray

harmsr

Workshop Member
Mitch,

We are both right.

I'm used to a Capture One style workflow which saves the adjustment and they are there the next time that pull up the file. In Capture One, I normally only process out TIFF files for printing or further work in Photoshop.

In Capture NX, I have to process out the TIFF file that I want to print or work on further in Photoshop. I then also have to save either the settings as a separate file or resave the NEF file as it is modified. If I save the separate NEF file, then yes I have the edit history. I just have to remember to open up that version vs. the original.

It is different for me, and does add extra steps which I often forget to do. I like how Capture NX develops the files, but it also doesn't work on my M8 files. That leads me towards either Aperture or Capture One for a workflow that will be common between both cameras. (I did buy Viveza to use in Photosop, as I love the quick control it gives.)

To be honest as Aperture gets Viveza and Noisa Ninja for additional plug-ins, I think it is going to become primary for everything unless Capture One Pro 4 really knocks my socks off when it is available.

Best,

Ray

P.S.: Nice work on your thread from Africa. You seem to be enjoying the new camera, and it did change your style.

M

Mitch Alland

Ray, I see what you mean. LightZone is good in that it has all the processing steps in the TIFF file that it exports.

Thanks for the kind words on the Namibian pictures. I'm not sure about changing style because the subject is so different, but I can say that I like the way I can bring out the textures in the D300 pictures.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

neils

Ray

In NX let's say you open a file called "GetDPI #1"and end up with 8 steps added as you see them down the right side.

All you have to do is hit "save", "command save" whatever. The file is saved, the steps are saved and there is no need to make another file saved under the same name. All this is still NEF at this point.

Next time you open this NEF file"GetDPI #1" it will open and have all your steps, all your changes and if you want to go back to square one just click off the steps you don't want. So no need to save an original version and the modified version. You could also save several versions if the NEF in NX with names that remind you what each one is, but they are still the same original file name as you open them, just different set of instructions in the sidecar file.

I do this all the time. If the NEF isn't what I print from and I want a Tiff for CS3 I make a Tiff, but that "GetDPI #1" is still there for me.

You could have one NEF and 10 versions if you like all in one file.

Neil

jonoslack

Woody and Ray

Thank you - you've been very helpful, at least there is no NOOOOO involved!
I'm still worried about the greens for late evening and early morning shots, but everything I read and see does seem to suggest that things have improved.
Have you any feelings about this?

To be honest, the only thing that's holding me back now is that there isn't really a 'goodenough' walkabout lens (like the lovely 12-60 (24-120)) on the Olympus E3.

Mitch and Neil
I understand about using NX, but I've long since decided that Aperture is for me - I'm still dealing with photos taken with many other cameras, and the way versions works together with the DAM features makes it a great way to deal with all one's photographs together. I now have a library of more than 20,000 photos, all properly catalogued and keyworded, with only one version of each file (apart from backups of course). For me, being able to use Aperture is now more important than any new camera.

Thanks again everyone for your responses.
Now then - has anyone any comments about 'yellow greens'?

woodyspedden

Jono

I have now been using Aperture 2.1 (demo) for about a week and I must say that I am impressed. I really feel the raw files are superior to lightroom and of course ACR and about equal to C1 4.0. C1 Pro may be a little more color accurate but the workflow is so kludgy that I would probably go Aperture anyway. So life looks up

Woody

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Jono, if you send me a PM with your email address, I can send you this D300 NEF file with yousendit.com for further investigations in your own converter ?
It's just a trivial test shot, but at least there is some green in it.
If I tell you it was taken in South West Turkey in mid january I'm sure you will know exactly what the green should look like :D
Maybe you can get some D3 NEF sample files from owners of that model as well.
Steen

harmsr

Workshop Member
Jono

I have now been using Aperture 2.1 (demo) for about a week and I must say that I am impressed. I really feel the raw files are superior to lightroom and of course ACR and about equal to C1 4.0. C1 Pro may be a little more color accurate but the workflow is so kludgy that I would probably go Aperture anyway. So life looks up

Woody
Ditto what Woody said. This is exactly what I have been finding recently on the RAW converters.

Best,

Ray

harmsr

Workshop Member
Jono,

I'm shooting a Nascar Race all this weekend, but will try to post some shots D3 shots of greens on Sunday with Aperture. I find that Aperture and Capture One are the most accurate on true color. Relative to greens and the D3, I have not seen any problem. Admitting that the greens here in Phoenix are a little more subdued than other locations, but I find the colors to be very true.

Best,

Ray

jonoslack

Jono,

I'm shooting a Nascar Race all this weekend, but will try to post some shots D3 shots of greens on Sunday with Aperture. I find that Aperture and Capture One are the most accurate on true color. Relative to greens and the D3, I have not seen any problem. Admitting that the greens here in Phoenix are a little more subdued than other locations, but I find the colors to be very true.

Best,

Ray
Steen - thanks for the offer of the RAW file - but it's really the D3 I'm interested in - they're probably the same . . . . .but then, they might not be! That file, on the other hand, looks fine . . . but then it's shot in mid day light, and that was never the problem.

Ray - that'd be lovely, but it's evening and morning light where it seems to go wrong.

The green issue rears it's ugly head for early morning and evening light - in fact, it isn't just greens, I guess it's yellows generally which have been 'nasty' (interesting that Guy picked up the yellow issue on the files from his D300).

here is a link to the D3 website:
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/d3/onassignment/index.htm

if you look at the middle picture on the top row, and the third picture down on the left column, although not just of green, they're both shot in evening light and give an indication of what worries me.

If you're shooting landscape, then evening and morning light is what matters most . . . . so it's cr@p if it's cr@p!

on the other hand, I've been looking at a bunch of NEF files generously sent by Big Gareth of Welsh Wales, and they look really good (greens included).

helenhill

Hi there
GAS is a terrible thing, and, of course, although I have no intention of buying a D3 (none at all):angel:, I realise that some other people MIGHT be thinking of it, and it's possible that they use Apple Aperture for their existing cameras.
I have a FEELING
Jono will be carrying a D3 very soooon.......Cheers! Helen:toocool:

harmsr

Workshop Member
Jono,

Thanks for the link and explanation. I understand better what your concern is. I'll shoot something in that light on Sunday for you to see in Aperture. I doubt that you will see any issue in Aperture. I have found the colors to be a little off sometimes in Capture NX.

Best,

Ray

jonoslack

Jono,

Thanks for the link and explanation. I understand better what your concern is. I'll shoot something in that light on Sunday for you to see in Aperture. I doubt that you will see any issue in Aperture. I have found the colors to be a little off sometimes in Capture NX.

Best,

Ray
Thank you Ray. Of course, it would be easy to look at those shots and say:
1. he got the white balance wrong
2. you could just adjust the yellow saturation.
BUT
I've been there, and I've seen that nasty yellow cast in evening light, and I've signally failed to get rid of it!

I'll be really interested to see what you come up with (incidentally, my email seems to take D3 .nef files if sent one by one). Last bit of sunlight with a bit of vegetation is best.

jonoslack

I have a FEELING
Jono will be carrying a D3 very soooon.......Cheers! Helen:toocool:
:angel: moi?
Hi Helen
Well, my dealer is going to let me play with one on Wednesday morning. I'll think hard before then - I have a few Leica lenses I want to get clear of, and they'll take most of the pain out of it!

But I need to know about those yellows first!

harmsr

Workshop Member
Jono,

No artistic attempt here at all. I slept late this morning after the races this weekend, but just took some late afternoon light shots for you with the D3 / 24-70 at f4 / ISO 200/ 46 mm focal length / picture control on neutral with sharpening at 5 and contrast at +1, plus the M8 / 35 Cron ASPH / ISO 160 / F4.

They were processed in Capture One 4 with slight highlight recovery, and I adjusted the WB on the M8 to 4300 to be the same as the Nikon since the Auto WB on the M8 missed.

Here are both. (sorry they do have slightly different compositions of the same scene as I was not that careful)

Best,

Ray