The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Jupiter Pier

David K

Workshop Member
Roger and I got together down at the Jupiter pier to shoot some surfers and kiteboarders and this pelican just floated down in front of me. Had about 2 seconds to aim, focus and shoot. This is where the D3 really delivers performance wise. Looks like I may have oversharpened this a bit...

jonoslack

Smashing shots David
but, I thought, all over sharpened.
should I buy a D3? are the greens okay in the evening? Does the 24-70 focus close enough?
Life is full of these difficult (and expensive) questions!

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Jono, with your interest in landscape photography, I think maybe the answer to that question should be a "wait with patience" for the likely to come high Mp version of the D3 - or the already announced 24Mp Sony sensor (Sony "A900" or whatever the camera name will be) ?

Mark Welsh (hubsand) has some good thoughts about the Sony DSLR here:
http://www.16-9.net/sony_in_2008.html

Steen

David K

Workshop Member
Jono,

Got to recheck my settings... they look oversharp to me too, but didn't before I posted them??? And yes, you should buy a D3. Everyone that I know who has bought one is thrilled with it. YMMV, but I doubt it.

David K

Workshop Member
Thanks Helen, I really liked that part of the capture myself. Here's one more, properly converted, that really shows the beauty of the waves...

jonoslack

Jono, with your interest in landscape photography, I think maybe the answer to that question should be a "wait with patience" for the likely to come high Mp version of the D3 - or the already announced 24Mp Sony sensor (Sony "A900" or whatever the camera name will be) ?

Mark Welsh (hubsand) has some good thoughts about the Sony DSLR here:
http://www.16-9.net/sony_in_2008.html

Steen
Hi Steen
Thanks for the link - of course, you're right, but I have wedding shooting to do, and i could do with the low light abilities.
As far as the Sony is concerned, I've thought hard about it, the fact that it isn't going to be huge is a real attraction, but the problem is the lenses (I know that sounds mad). The difficulty is that, despite the link with Zeiss, the lovely Zeiss ZF lenses are not available for Sony/Minolta fit. The new lenses sound attractive, but they are new, and nobody has used them!
So the temptation is to buy a D3 with a 24-70 for wedding and low light work now, and then buy the D3x when it appears (and perhaps sell the D3).

jonoslack

Jono,

Got to recheck my settings... they look oversharp to me too, but didn't before I posted them??? And yes, you should buy a D3. Everyone that I know who has bought one is thrilled with it. YMMV, but I doubt it.
Hi David
That's MUCH better.
I doubt whether my milage will vary either, but the worry is the lack of a decent 24-120 f4 VF AFS zoom (why?) and whether I'll be irritated by the longer end of the 24-70 . . . and it doesn't focus closely enough.

Anyway, I'm going to play on Tuesday, and I WILL have my credit card with me!

fotografz

Hi David
That's MUCH better.
I doubt whether my milage will vary either, but the worry is the lack of a decent 24-120 f4 VF AFS zoom (why?) and whether I'll be irritated by the longer end of the 24-70 . . . and it doesn't focus closely enough.

Anyway, I'm going to play on Tuesday, and I WILL have my credit card with me!
Have the D3. A seriously good camera as far as I can tell so far ... but lack of lenses for full frame is a serious deficiency. Canon's range of modern AF optics is still an excellent reason to consider them for DSLR work.

I have both, so that is a unbiased opinion.

jonoslack

Have the D3. A seriously good camera as far as I can tell so far ... but lack of lenses for full frame is a serious deficiency. Canon's range of modern AF optics is still an excellent reason to consider them for DSLR work.

I have both, so that is a unbiased opinion.
Thank you Marc - I've been following your grief/ecstasy with interest :)

How do you feel the image quality compares with the M8 (as this is a comparison I can really understand).

fotografz

Thank you Marc - I've been following your grief/ecstasy with interest :)

How do you feel the image quality compares with the M8 (as this is a comparison I can really understand).
Don't have a clue. I haven't shot a single D3 frame below ISO 4000 yet ... LOL!

Different I suspect.

I got this camera to shoot low light and/or fast shutter speeds.

Here's a grab shot of my Russian photo pal Irakly committing slow suicide ... ISO 4000, 1250 shutter speed with 85/1.4 @ f/1.4

Last edited:

jonoslack

Don't have a clue. I haven't shot a single D3 frame below ISO 4000 yet ... LOL!

Different I suspect.

I got this camera to shoot low light and/or fast shutter speeds.

Here's a grab shot of my Russian photo pal Irakly committing slow suicide ... ISO 4000, 1250 shutter speed with 85/1.4 @ f/1.4
I do love to see somebody enjoying a cigarette with conviction (I haven't had a puff for over 2 years, and I feel so much better, but I DID enjoy it!).

Actually, you couldn't have posted anything more convincing, Irakly has had a big effect on my photography; he once told me that I needed an alligator in the top right hand corner of a shot, it was a real wake up call!

I'm going to spend a couple of hours with a D3 and the 24-70 on Tuesday afternoon, I'm convinced by the image quality, so if it turns me on I'll buy it. (it's worse than useless if it doesn't do that).

Thanks again Marc

fotografz

I do love to see somebody enjoying a cigarette with conviction (I haven't had a puff for over 2 years, and I feel so much better, but I DID enjoy it!).

Actually, you couldn't have posted anything more convincing, Irakly has had a big effect on my photography; he once told me that I needed an alligator in the top right hand corner of a shot, it was a real wake up call!

I'm going to spend a couple of hours with a D3 and the 24-70 on Tuesday afternoon, I'm convinced by the image quality, so if it turns me on I'll buy it. (it's worse than useless if it doesn't do that).

Thanks again Marc
Actually Irakly doesn't smoke much. Those darn Europeans can smoke socially and then walk away from it cold turkey.

Where can you get one of the new 24-70/2.8s?

jonoslack

Actually Irakly doesn't smoke much. Those darn Europeans can smoke socially and then walk away from it cold turkey.
Well, he looked like he was trying to finish that one in one drag!

I'm one of those darn Europeans . . . . I'm an expert on giving up, must have done it 100 times (this one IS for real though)

Where can you get one of the new 24-70/2.8s?
From Dave at LCE in Norwich :)