The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEF's to DNG Question

jvora

Hello All :

At present I use a Mac and Adobe PS CS3 - I am on the verge of updating to a D3s. I will not be able to update my Mac and CS3 to CS4 all at the same time and find that the priority is the camera from an assignment and purchase perspective.

CS3's ACR will not permit access to .nef produced by a D3s - I have never worked with DNG files nor converted .nefs to DNGs from a D3s - Thus will the following work ?

1. Convert the D3s's .nefs to DNG and then have PS CS3's ACR open the DNGs for accurate conversions to PSD or TIFF ?

Is the above the only extra step one has to go through in the workflow - Am I missing anything else ?

Do confirm.

Thanks,

Jai

tjv

You're correct. I hate how Adobe don't allow you to install updates to ACR for new cameras as soon as a new version of PS comes out. It's a nightmare for me teaching at an institution. It's almost impossible to keep up.

In short - use Adobe DNG converter, then you should be able to open as normal in ACR CS3.

Lisa

I just went through this on the m4/3 thread, with a new Panasonic GH1 but only CS3.

One solution is to download the newest version of Adobe's free DNG converter, be sure to set "Compatibility" to "4.6 or later" (the default is "5.4 or later", which won't work with CS3), and convert your raws to DNGs using it. As long as you use "4.6 or later", then CS3 and the version of ACR that came with it will be able to read the DNGs.

Lisa

Shac

Lisa - excuse my ignorance but where (or at what stage) do you set the compatability to 4.6 or later? I've just visited the DNG site and it was not clear.
Thanks in advance
David

Lisa

You download and install the latest version of the DNG converter. When you go to run it, there is a button labeled "Change Preferences", and one of the things you can change is "Compatibility".

Lisa

jvora

Thanks guys - This give me the "go ahead" to get the D3s : )

Lisa, your input to change settings in the prefs is real good info - Will do it !

Jai

clay stewart

I used the DNG converter with the GF1 and CS3 and found that it worked fine, but it was terribly slow to make the conversion on my computer. Seems like it took twenty minutes for a hundred images.