The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking to finally go digital ! HELP !

thetooth

i have finally decided to move up ( or is it sideways ) to a digital body .

i have been looking at and reading about the D90 and the D300s .

my only real question is lens compatibility , i have a nikon 50mm 1.8 , tamaron macro 90mm 2.8 , tamaron 70mm-300mm zoom , and a nikon 28mm-80mm zoom .

i have read that some of the nikon digital body do not read some of the older lenses ( the dreaded F--- ) and am wondering if this problem is less prevalent with the D300s compared to the D90 .

i would prefer to go with the D90 for budget reasons , but am willing to make the upgrade if there is a less chance of this happing with the D300s .

thanks for any comments of help with this matter

tim

thetooth

any comments . or is this really a minor problem ( if a problem at all ) with digital camera s ?

thanks

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Just like D300s the D90 as well has a focus motor and thus it can focus with any F-mount autofocus lens - even with an older lens that does not contain its own (AF-S) autofocus motor build into the lens itself.

The difference is that D300s will meter with AI and AI-S type Manual Focus lenses while the D90 cannot meter with these lenses.

So if you intend to shoot with AI and AI-S type Manual Focus lenses from Nikon, Zeiss and Voigtländer, you will need to go with D300s.
Otherwise D90 is probably all you need.

The ergonomics (buttons and menus) are a little different.

And also the viewfinders are not exactly the same. Take a close look through both viewfinders before you make up your mind.
But again, if you don't intend to shoot manual focus lenses it's not all that important with a little difference in the viewfinders.

There's a Nikon SLR Camera and Lens Compatibility list at nikonians.org

And you can make a Side-by-Side specifications comparison at dpreview.com

Good luck

Last edited:

thetooth

thanks Steen

i read about the D300s ability to use the older manual focus lenses and still maintain metering .

i should have worded my question a little differently .

because of the ability to use manual focus lenses is the d300 less likely to have the ( F--- ) problem then the d90 ?

i realize this may be a intermittent problem with either camera . just wondering if any one has had that experience or am i just nit picking ?

thanks

tim

thetooth

ha ha steen just pointed out what i have written ( f--- ) this is not meant to be a curse word . that is what will flash on the camera lcd if you attach a lens the camera does not recognize or you attach a manual focus lens to a camera that is meant to use auto focus lenses .

i occasionally have this problem with my n80 .

thanks for all your help steen

tim

Shac

Just program the non-cpu lens into the D300s and voila - no F--
You can add data for up to 9 non-CPU lenses

thetooth

Just program the non-cpu lens into the D300s and voila - no F--
You can add data for up to 9 non-CPU lenses
wow . thanks shac i did not know that was possible .

is that same feature on the d90 also ? i will try and google it .

thanks

Last edited:

thetooth

i googled it d90 does not offer this feature .

thanks shac and steen for help answering my question .