The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

1st & 8th shots with D3

jonoslack

Hi There
I played, and I cracked - these are the 1st and 8th shots after I got out of the shop (couple of guys outside a pub). I was going to say it makes a change from pets and kitchens, but I guess it's not that much of a change.

The second guy is, apparently, called Tom (no idea what the dog's called)

both taken with the 24-70 on some settings which I can't remember and don't yet understand!

Seems to work though, and by golly it focuses quickly!

Now I have to sell something!

Joan

Congrats on your wonderful new camera, Jono. Nice characters you caught here, looks like a great combo with that lens. Can't wait to see what you'll do with it once you understand all those settings! :)

Best,
joan

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Your soooooooooooooooo bad. Must be that peer pressure. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Congrats my friend.

Terry

Well the warning signs were there!!!!
Great now I have another source for lens information or to buy them when you get fed up with Nikon green. If the 24-70 were just a bit wider I would be shooting with it.

Anyway congratulations and I'm sure your wife is jumping with joy since now its her turn for a treat!

Aaah, yeah they focus pretty darn fast!

jonoslack

Thanks for the congrats!
Guy - it's all your fault, and when they turn up I'll send the bailiffs around to your place (I'll give you a warning as it'll take them a while to arrive!).
Terry - quite understand about the 24-70 - not really a lens for DX, I've been reading some good stuff about the 16-85 though, and it's a sweet focal length, at least for a carry around lens.
Then there's that nice voigtlander 50 f1.4 nokton - it'd be perfect on a D300 I'd have said (and it's cheap as chips too).
Joan - I'll do my best, but I only have ten minutes to read a manual after I get a new toy . . . .and it's gone!

vieri

Thanks for the congrats!
Guy - it's all your fault, and when they turn up I'll send the bailiffs around to your place (I'll give you a warning as it'll take them a while to arrive!).
Terry - quite understand about the 24-70 - not really a lens for DX, I've been reading some good stuff about the 16-85 though, and it's a sweet focal length, at least for a carry around lens.
Then there's that nice voigtlander 50 f1.4 nokton - it'd be perfect on a D300 I'd have said (and it's cheap as chips too).
Joan - I'll do my best, but I only have ten minutes to read a manual after I get a new toy . . . .and it's gone!
Hey Jono,

am just back from Lithuania and was going to write you an answer re: D3 but... you caught me off-balance!! :D I can't leave you alone one minute, and look what you have done... again! :ROTFL:

I am sure you will enjoy the D3... :D

jonoslack

Hi Vieri
I'd seen enough, and there was a camera around with the 24-70 (rare), so I went for it.

Here are a couple more from today:

spring has really sprung here - this is pear blossom

over a barrel

the guy with the dog in a jacket

not impressed

scallops for tea! (with Salmon) not in the dog house after all:)

I was worried about close focusing with the 24-70, but this will do

harmsr

Workshop Member
Jono,

Congrats. I'm glad you decided in favor of the D3, especially with that lens. You have a nice combo.

Best,

Ray

jonoslack

HI Ray, Cindy
Thanks for the messages - the jury is still out on the IQ, but the ease of use is . . . breathtaking - it just takes pictures, and they're always properly exposed and in focus, and you can beat the hell out of them in Aperture / Photoshop.

It's awfully big though, and I'm not convinced that the files are as nice as the M8 files. Jury still out.

helenhill

Lovely Shots Jono
and the greens & yellows seem to have good range & depth in your hands /
NO Disney Pop so to speak

So what sold you or drove you off the deep end.........to take the D3 Plunge
It sounds as if its easy to shoot with
mind you, when I read Guy OR Mitch's posts the D300 seems more Complex in terms of ease of use
Best, helen

Terry

Lovely Shots Jono

mind you, when I read Guy OR Mitch's posts the D300 seems more Complex in terms of ease of use
Best, helen
Helen I have the D300 set like a big point and shoot and it is simple to use if you set it up that way. You can get as complex as you want. I think it is just the decision process of deciding what suits your style and what to turn off that takes some time....and for me it was easy a quick chat with Guy and all of my settings were done....and now I can fine tune a few things where my shooting is a bit different than Guy's.

I have it set so I can quickly move the focus point. I set it to Auto ISO, when the shutter speed drops to a level you set the camera automatically boosts the ISO up a notch and will do that to the limit you set. Set it on Aperture priority and shoot. I haven't really totally screwed up the exposure on the 1000+ shots I've made. Now if I were doing a lot of sports and other fast paced things, I might have a set of different settings, that can be stored in another memory bank. I don't think the D3 is really any different in this regard.

Last edited:

Terry

Jono- I tried to peek at the EXIF on the pear blossom. Was this at 70mm wide open? I still lust after this lens....love the bokeh which is a problem on the non pro lenses as you are at f5.6 on many by the time you are out at 70mm and are working on a smaller sensor. Arrgh.

jonoslack

Jono- I tried to peek at the EXIF on the pear blossom. Was this at 70mm wide open? I still lust after this lens....love the bokeh which is a problem on the non pro lenses as you are at f5.6 on many by the time you are out at 70mm and are working on a smaller sensor. Arrgh.
HI Terry
F6.3! as you say, the bokeh is nice - wide open there would be almost nothing.

it was around 65mm I think.

I must say, I'd find it tiresome on the D300 as the 24mm would not be wide enough (at 36mm).

It's interesting how my time with the Leica has made me happy with such a short throw zoom as the 14-24 (which is much more than the 16-21 of the WATE).

jonoslack

Lovely Shots Jono

Best, helen

HI Helen
I still haven't got to grips with the extra yellow that's in there, but I am getting there - the tools to deal with it are so much better these days.

What drove me? Well, apart from a dose of GAS, I have a couple of weddings to do this summer, and I thought it would be good for that, but the real thing is that I've been waiting for a high MP SLR with really good wide angle lenses for landscape (I've never been convinced with the Canon wides). It's not here, but the lenses are, and it's pretty clear that sooner or later the D3x will appear - the expected Sony was a possibility, but I'm not fond of them generally, and the Sony / Zeiss lenses are nearly twice the price of the equivalent nikons (ouch).

Convincing?