The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Full Circle

rdubois

Having migrated from a DSLR to a digital Leica M8 I'm now back to DSLR and waiting impatiently for a Nikon D3S with 14-24 and 24-70 zoom lenses which should arrive tomorrow.

I've had an interesting time with the M8 which has given me extreme satisfaction on many occasions but also some headaches caused by some frequent returns to the factory but mostly with achieving correct framing with the 75mm Summicron (no issues with the wider lenses). I'm sure that I'm mostly to blame because it appears that others are perfectly content but my misframes were quite frustrating especially in work related photography.

By way of an introduction, I've been messing with photography for most of my life mostly for pleasure but increasingly for work. The video feature attacted me to the D3S as I have a frequent requirement for making very short instructional videos about instrumentation which we supply to the environment sector.

I've been reading the Getdpi Leica forum for a while and have been impressed with the politeness and general positive attitude of the members. Refreshingly different from some other sites and compliments to the owners and moderators.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get to grips with the DS3 meanwhile some galleries are viewable at www.rdubois.zenfolio.com

Dubois

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Having migrated from a DSLR to a digital Leica M8 I'm now back to DSLR and waiting impatiently for a Nikon D3S with 14-24 and 24-70 zoom lenses which should arrive tomorrow.

I've had an interesting time with the M8 which has given me extreme satisfaction on many occasions but also some headaches caused by some frequent returns to the factory but mostly with achieving correct framing with the 75mm Summicron (no issues with the wider lenses). I'm sure that I'm mostly to blame because it appears that others are perfectly content but my misframes were quite frustrating especially in work related photography.

By way of an introduction, I've been messing with photography for most of my life mostly for pleasure but increasingly for work. The video feature attacted me to the D3S as I have a frequent requirement for making very short instructional videos about instrumentation which we supply to the environment sector.

I've been reading the Getdpi Leica forum for a while and have been impressed with the politeness and general positive attitude of the members. Refreshingly different from some other sites and compliments to the owners and moderators.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get to grips with the DS3 meanwhile some galleries are viewable at www.rdubois.zenfolio.com

Dubois
Very nice work and welcome to GETDPI.

I imagine that the D3s will be a bit hard to manage in places like Banro and Congo....do you have a m43 or small sensor camera that will supplant the M8 when you are in country? When I am working in W Africa I tend to take the smallest camera I can find that has half way acceptable image quality.

I would love a high ISO Canon G10 equivalent...wouldn't we all!:ROTFL:

Again, glad to see that you will be posting in such a fine place.

With regards,

Bob

rdubois

Very nice work and welcome to GETDPI.

I imagine that the D3s will be a bit hard to manage in places like Banro and Congo....do you have a m43 or small sensor camera that will supplant the M8 when you are in country? When I am working in W Africa I tend to take the smallest camera I can find that has half way acceptable image quality.

I would love a high ISO Canon G10 equivalent...wouldn't we all!:ROTFL:

Again, glad to see that you will be posting in such a fine place.

With regards,

Bob
Thanks for your welcome

Not yet decided on a smaller replacement. I'm off to West Africa again in the near future and you're right that it's no place gor the D3S. I'd hoped the X1 would fit the bill but I don't think I'd be able to work satisfactorily with the reported firing delays. When I press the shutter release I need it to fire immediately or I'll miss the critical moment which is often of essence to my work photographs. Mind you I haven't tried one yet so perhaps it isn't as slow as reported. Failing something new I might need to revert to film for which I use an Olympus OM2.

Best

Dubois

ustein

Contributing Editor
Thanks for your welcome

Not yet decided on a smaller replacement. I'm off to West Africa again in the near future and you're right that it's no place gor the D3S. I'd hoped the X1 would fit the bill but I don't think I'd be able to work satisfactorily with the reported firing delays. When I press the shutter release I need it to fire immediately or I'll miss the critical moment which is often of essence to my work photographs. Mind you I haven't tried one yet so perhaps it isn't as slow as reported. Failing something new I might need to revert to film for which I use an Olympus OM2.

Best

Dubois
Look into the GF1 or E-P2. Both work very well.

By the way the D3s is an incredible low light machine.

rdubois

Look into the GF1 or E-P2. Both work very well.

By the way the D3s is an incredible low light machine.
Thanks Uwe for your recommendations. I'll look up your suggestions.

Yes, low light is one of the reasons I ordered the D3S also for it's robustness, weather sealing and video capabilities. Most of my paid work (we deal with environmental research) involves photographing and filming on site: often dark, wet and dirty!

All the best

Dubois

rdubois

My first D3S pictures

Thanks to airmiles I managed to get a short break in Venice and what better opportunity to test out the D3S for the first time.

Coming from the Leica M8 it is certainly a (re) education. Despite its size it is well balanced. Both lenses (12-24 and 24-70) performed extremely well. Low light performance is awesome and the AF functions very well.

For anyone interested here are a few pictures:

http://rdubois.zenfolio.com/p278463708

Dubois