The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Has anyone compared the 24-70 to the Leica 28-90?

Stuart Richardson

I was wondering...there seem to be several Leica R shooters who have gone to Nikon (I am looking at you Guy!), so I was wondering if anyone had any comparisons on the lens quality. I really love the Leica lenses, and I am not convinced that other makers offer the same quality. The most likely candidate for a match would be the 24-70 from nikon, along with the corresponding 24-70 from Canon. Has anyone compared these lenses? The Leica 28-90 worked superbly well for me on the DMR (when the DMR was working anyway) and I am loath to give it up if the Nikon offering doesn't offer the same blend of sharpness, color, bokeh and reasonably controlled distortion (there is some in the Leica, particularly at 28mm, but I never really noticed it).

It seems like the Nikon version is 160 grams heavier, and 35mm longer...and a 77mm versus 67mm filter. I understand the AF mechanics will weigh it down and make it bigger, but this is definitely a difference. It is wider which is nice, and shorter which does not really bother me. Constant aperture is better...

But, what about the pictures? I wish I could rent it along with a F6 and just test the two lenses with the same film. That would allow me to get a good comparison. I suppose it is too much to hope for that someone has done this, but if anyone has any general impressions, I would like to hear them.

Please remember that the 28-90mm Leica is not your father's Leica zoom...it was made by Leica in Solms, and it offers really great performance. I would love it if the new Nikon could equal or surpass it.

Enquiring sheep want to know.

woodyspedden

I was wondering...there seem to be several Leica R shooters who have gone to Nikon (I am looking at you Guy!), so I was wondering if anyone had any comparisons on the lens quality. I really love the Leica lenses, and I am not convinced that other makers offer the same quality. The most likely candidate for a match would be the 24-70 from nikon, along with the corresponding 24-70 from Canon. Has anyone compared these lenses? The Leica 28-90 worked superbly well for me on the DMR (when the DMR was working anyway) and I am loath to give it up if the Nikon offering doesn't offer the same blend of sharpness, color, bokeh and reasonably controlled distortion (there is some in the Leica, particularly at 28mm, but I never really noticed it).

It seems like the Nikon version is 160 grams heavier, and 35mm longer...and a 77mm versus 67mm filter. I understand the AF mechanics will weigh it down and make it bigger, but this is definitely a difference. It is wider which is nice, and shorter which does not really bother me. Constant aperture is better...

But, what about the pictures? I wish I could rent it along with a F6 and just test the two lenses with the same film. That would allow me to get a good comparison. I suppose it is too much to hope for that someone has done this, but if anyone has any general impressions, I would like to hear them.

Please remember that the 28-90mm Leica is not your father's Leica zoom...it was made by Leica in Solms, and it offers really great performance. I would love it if the new Nikon could equal or surpass it.

Enquiring sheep want to know.
Stuart

The R 28-90 was one of my favorite lenses and I sold it only because I acquired a 35-70 Elmarit. To this day I wish I had not sold it. On the other hand I now have a D3 and the 24-70 and frankly this lens is wonderful. Is it as good as the R 28-90.........probably not but close. The R lenses have that wonderful Leica micro contrast and color that no one I know (in the 35mm realm) has duplicated it.

Bottom line is that while I don't have them side by side to test i am thoroughly happy shooting with my Nikon 24-70. It produces great files.

Woody

jonoslack

HI Stuart
I can't really help, as I've never experienced the Leica 28-90.

I have been using the Nikon 24-70 for a few days, and it seems to be an excellent lens with few vices.

I suppose you'll be hard pushed to find someone who has done a proper comparison, but good lenses are hard to find and easy to recognise, and the Nikon 24-70 is certainly one of them.