The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Battle of the 105's

Looking for opinions between the 105 DC and the 105 VR Micro.

I really like the 105 DC but haven't figured out the defocus control. I also found a good deal on the Micro.

Thanks!

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Get the VR!
One of the very best lenses ever produced by Nikon, period.

Plus, except for very limited applications (close to none in digital photography), VR will prove to be a much more handy feature than DC.

Stuart Richardson

I tested the 105 DC and loved it, but ultimately wound up with the 135 DC because I already had a Leica 100mm APO that I could use at/around 100mm. My input would be that the choice depends on the desired subject. If you are looking for a portrait lens, definitely get the 105 DC -- it is tailor made for that sort of work, and it has a lovely character, the DC function is subtle, but can improve backgrounds and foregrounds if necessary. It can also act as a variable soft-focus lens if necessary. Finally, in general use it is very sharp, has a fast f/2 aperature, and auto-focus. It is an excellent all around lens. One copy I tried had difficult focusing on the D3 though, so be sure you check that carefully. The 105 DC also is a really good lens to go for if you are looking to play with shallow depth of field -- the look of the lens is gorgeous, so if you shoot wide open a lot, it is the way to go.

If you are just looking for a sharp, general purpose 105mm lens, get the 105 VR -- the VR will help you handhold, and it is probably a sharper lens corner to corner (I have not compared the two though), it will focus closer and it uses AFS.

Thanks for the feedback.

I already have the 105 DC and LOVE it. Just solid stuff all around. But my second choice was the VR Micro and I found one used for under $600. Almost too good to pass up. I can only justify having one.

I don't do very much macro work at all. If I do, I tend to use my CZ 21 for it cause I find it works brilliantly in that regard.

Hmph...

I think I'm just going to stick with my DC and just learn how to use it better. Now how do I do that!?!

Errrg... I was still going to meet the guy after lunch, but he just said he sold it. I was at least looking forward to playing with it.