The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Nikon

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You're killing me with these images Jorgen, you really know how to spot them!

I have some ozzy friends visiting tonight and I've been showing them your Thai images, we all agree that they're priceless, very telling if you know what you're looking at.

On a different note, I guess you can now see why I was recommending the S5.
David,
Thank you for your kind words. You do have a part in these photos, you know. I was considering giving up on the S5 (and buy a D90) when you convinced me that the Fuji was the way to go. And you were right. There's nothing like it. It has weaknesses, some of them rather problematic, but the strong sides outweighs them many times over.

The "know what you're looking at" part is probably very important btw. Those who have lived in this country, probably see the photos in a very different way than those who haven't :)

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
here are a couple with a newly obtained D300, borrowed Tokina 12-24 DX and lowly 55-200mm AFS VR...haven't participated in awhile so ....

etrigan63

Playing around with a Gary Fong Puffer (a $20 diffuser widget that makes the popup flash usable for close-up work) on my D300:

Electra aka PeeWee

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I went down the river today, with the express boat. Standing at the back, on the yellow "No Standing" zone, it's possible to take photos of life passing by. And I did. 168 photos in 15 minutes. Mighty fast this Fuji miracle :D and I like the colours too :thumbup:

All with S5 and the 70-300 ED, jpegs out of the camera:

Then, after visiting a friend of mine in his office, I waited for the train on my way home:

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Thanks Jorgen, haven't had much time to add until yesterday, am off again next week for a long weekend to Las Vegas area, maybe Zion and Page. Hopefully will have a few more after that. I always enjoy your images, as they come from a part of the world I haven't been to...YET... someday, hopefully...and you do a great job showing what life, sights are there, etc.

On another topic, but related to your images, are you interested in seeing if Fuji comes out with another dslr....there is hope by many that they will come out with there own FF body??? Would you have any interest in that? I certainly would especially if they can get there fps rate up a bit....

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Don,
I would absolutely be interested in a new Fuji body, but it must be full frame, not because I'm obsessed with FF, but because the smaller, portable lenses already have problems with the pixel pitch on my current Fujis. A phenomenon that I used to mistake for noise, is actually the photo "falling apart" as a result of insufficient resolving power of the lens. Interestingly, this is more of a problem on the S5 than on my D80. My worst example is the 70-300 ED, which works very well on the Nikon, but starts to fail around 150mm on the Fujis, particularly at infinity focus.

A D700 body with a FF Fuji sensor of 12 + 12 MP with the most recent Fuji technology would be great.

I can't really see Fuji pulling out of the pro market. Their presence there has traditionally been strong, and although the profit is limited, it increases their marketing power.

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Jorgen - that would be my wish as well, along with a true Nikon based battery, not proprietary to Fuji. Never owned an S5, but had S1-S3s. Appreciated alot of the plusses of these cameras, but avoided the S5 and went D200 at the time. Shoot mostly RAW now, but miss the simplicity of the Fuji jpgs. Als they would need to improve their firmware in interfaces, so they are more inline with Nikons. Can all this be copyright protected? Hope not. With the costs of the S5s coming down a bunch, have reconsidered one as a backup, but really do more landscape/travel, then portraiture, else I would have pulled the trigger on one a long time ago. Hoping for a new Fuji sometime in '09...else maybe the 24mp version of the D700 will get the nod...happy shooting, Don

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Never mind the filters. The three first ones and the last one are great.

Would love to have the car in the first photo (or any of the Mustangs). That would be the correct transport for any occasion :D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's a photographer for you. It's a bit off topic, but I hope it's ok to post it here, even though she doesn't use a Nikon :D

S5 with 80-200 AF-S @ 200mm and f/2.8

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yesterday was Loy Kratong, the most beautiful of days in Thailand. That is the day when every Thai all over this country makes or buys a small float of palm leaves, decorated with flowers, a candle and incense sticks, to launch it on a klong, a river or a pond, together with wishes, dreams and prayers.

It's a beautiful evening, not only because of the visual impact, but because it's an event filled with peace and thoughtfulness.

There are many different Loy Kratongs: the noisy one in Chiang Mai, the tourist ones at the luxury hotels along the Chao Praya river, but the real Loy Kratong is at the temples near klongs and rivers all over the nation.

Here's a photo from Wad Nam Daeng. Last night, that was the place to be, at least for those living around here.

S5 with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (new lens, bought it yesterday :D ) @ 38mm, f/2.8, ISO400, 1/20s. No editing except cropping top and bottom.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Yesterday was Loy Kratong, the most beautiful of days in Thailand. That is the day when every Thai all over this country makes or buys a small float of palm leaves, decorated with flowers, a candle and incense sticks, to launch it on a klong, a river or a pond, together with wishes, dreams and prayers.

It's a beautiful evening, not only because of the visual impact, but because it's an event filled with peace and thoughtfulness.

There are many different Loy Kratongs: the noisy one in Chiang Mai, the tourist ones at the luxury hotels along the Chao Praya river, but the real Loy Kratong is at the temples near klongs and rivers all over the nation.

Here's a photo from Wad Nam Daeng. Last night, that was the place to be, at least for those living around here.

S5 with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (new lens, bought it yesterday :D ) @ 38mm, f/2.8, ISO400, 1/20s. No editing except cropping top and bottom.

The new lens did a spectacular job in your very capable hands. Beautiful...and I really liked your narrative about Loy Kratong.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The new lens did a spectacular job in your very capable hands. Beautiful...and I really liked your narrative about Loy Kratong.
Thank you Cindy. I'm very impressed by that lens. Sharpness, clarity and colours seem to be spot on for my use, and it's so tiny. Cheap too, about one fifth of the big, bulky Nikon version :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Saturday 15 November was the day for the Royal Cremation of the sister of The King of Thailand, HRH Galyani Vadhana. The people of Thailand showed up in large numbers at Sanam Luang, where a crematorium has been built for the occasion, to show their respect for the popular princess.

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 35mm and f/5