The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Nikon

A

asabet

Potter at the island of Koh Kred, north of Bangkok.
Jorgen, that is another great one. The concentration, movement, and lighting are perfect.

May I ask how you converted that one to B&W? I'm still not good at consistently getting the look I want out of B&W, and I really like your results.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, that is another great one. The concentration, movement, and lighting are perfect.

May I ask how you converted that one to B&W? I'm still not good at consistently getting the look I want out of B&W, and I really like your results.
Thank you Asabet.

This one was a bit tricky. The only light came from two ceiling windows behind the potter, so his face was completely in the dark. Still, I chose to expose for the whole photo to avoid blown highlights, but I used ISO200, so that I could get the face "out of the shadows" without too much noise. That again resulted in the long shutter time, which worked out nicely, even if the photo is shot handheld. The DR of the S5 probably helped a bit.

I converted to b&w in PS CS3 with standard settings (image, adjustments, b&w, I think). Then I divided the photo into three sections: foreground, background including his body and face, and optimized them individually. For b&w, I mostly use levels and brightness/contrast for adjustments, and curves if I need to use more "force".

I'm on a different computer in another city without PS right now, so this is all from my slightly dysfunctional memory :eek:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don't do Christmas cards, so this is as close as you'll get :)

Grab shot after a perfect lunch :D S5 with Tamron 17-50 @ 29mm, f/6.3, 1/30s and on-board flash (usually, I don't use flash, but it was too dark in the jungle, and the girls kept jumping around)!

Amin

The little one actually asked his brother to take a picture of his bum. Naturally I had to document the moment :D.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Since Bangkok is split in two by the Chao Praya river, getting across the water is sometimes inevitable. Nowadays, most people seem to prefer the comfort of Bangkok's never ending traffic jams, but for some, a short voyage in the relatively fresh sea breeze is still a viable option.

For those who choose the maritime way, there are thousands of vessels of all sizes available, charging a modest fee for a few minutes afloat.

S5 with Reflex Nikkor 500mm f/8

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
In Hong Kong, the city that used to be British but now is Chinese, which doesn't seem to matter much, they run a light show every night, using the skyline of Hong Kong island as a kind of "light organ". Fascinating stuff.

It would obviously look even better on video, and better with a D700 than a noisy little D80, but still...

Handheld D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 27mm and f/2.8

Handheld D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 27mm and f/2.8

Maarten

I love my D700! The light if rocket which was shot up into the sky creates a mysterious light and shadow on the road.

50mm AF-D F1.4 @ F2.8 and 1/200 sec, ISO 6400

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Lovely night shots, Terry. Whenever I try to shoot fireworks, I end up with some out of focus streaks in a corner of the frame :(

Terry

Wow, love the circles. The exposures/noise on my night shots are a mess but it was a pleasant surprise to get some of the lighting I did.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
During my futile search for red among the Christmas photos, I only found pink, and I suspect she didn't even celebrate Christmas...

S5 with 70-300 ED @ 165mm and f/8