The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Nikon

routlaw

No Rob, that makes sense. If a lens cannot focus where you want it to focus on a regular basis, it's not much of a lens, is it?
You got that right. Its why I am interested in what Lloyd comes up with when he test his copy. If his works correctly it would renew my faith in getting a good copy of the lens. Just have not had the gumption to try it again myself, having spent an absolutely huge amount of wasted time on the previous three copies. Keeping my fingers crossed for his sake if nothing else.

Rob

Lloyd

Going through some things in the archives, and came across this shot of my son (who is now a pro-shooter, working out of New York... not any smarter than the old man, I guess.)

Nikon F3, 50/1.2, Ektachrome:
View attachment 17627

And here is a shot he sent me from a couple of days ago. On assignment in Mexico. (he looks exhausted... I remember those days!) D700:
View attachment 17628

Lloyd

Very nice looking son, Lloyd...then and now!:thumbs: A chip off the old block.
Thank you viablex1. truly.

Thanks Cindy... I had the hair and the beard "back in the day" as well.

Here are a couple shots of him I did last year: (D300, 85/1.4)

And with his oldest (and my first grandchild), Gabe:

Leica 77

Hi Lloyd,
Beautiful B/W images of your handsome son and grandson! Your portrait photos are always stunning!!! Best regards, Leica 77. :)

D

ddk

Lovely family pictures Lloyd, now I know why you're hiding from the camera, it IS the curse that we discussed!

How old is Gabe?

otumay

Thank you viablex1. truly.

Thanks Cindy... I had the hair and the beard "back in the day" as well.

Here are a couple shots of him I did last year: (D300, 85/1.4)

And with his oldest (and my first grandchild), Gabe:

Lloyd, your portraits are always amazing. You seem to achieve my ideal in photography; sharing emotions. I feel elevated.
Thanks and best regards,
Osman

viablex1

Alex I have this lens, love it for its optical quality though it will soften up at the most extreme movements in the corners. Mechanically I think Nikon could have done better with this lens. The lock knobs are far too small to be useful and often if the lens is in the vertical shift position and you don't really crank down on the tiny lock knob the lens will drop its shift. The tilt mechanism does not a built in brake like the 85 PC lens either, meaning the leveraged weight will just allow the tilting to drop down with gravity if you are not careful. Both issues are annoying at best.

The T/S lenses are no replacement for a LF view camera and its capabilities (image quality aside), they simply do not have the versatility of movements and image manipulations of a true VC. Last year I heard Rodenstock was to come out with some T/S lenses for Nikon and Canon that were much more adept and versatile but thus far they seem like vapor ware.

Bottom line is I would still recommend the 24 PC-E but with the aforementioned caveats. BTW, nice images from that D3x that you have been posting. From my perspective the image quality from this camera seems very unique, not like anything I have seen from Nikon or camera company previously. Colors seem very liquid like without looking plastic.

Below are a couple of images from the D3/24 PC-E combination, which I don't think I have posted before, probably should've checked to make sure.

Hope this helps.

Rob
man those are killer!!

Lloyd

I just wanted to say Lloyd your son is very lucky, a father can be a powerful mentor and friend.
Thanks much for that. In all honesty, it's actually been a very interesting and somewhat emotional journey for me, watching him develop as a photographer. Something akin to hearing a song from years past, and being instantly transported in memory to an former time and place. I'm flattered that he still calls and asks my advice. Truth is, I often call and ask for his these days, what this being a digital world and all.