The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Nikon

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The 500mm Reflex is a fun lens in good weather, and the low contrast is perfect under the sharp mid-day sun. I should it more. There's surprisingly little DOF though.

S5 with Nikkor 500mm f/8 Reflex

kweide

Jorgen, please, no more such pics. Those beauties took away my breath.....now i understand why your work is such terrible hard...

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
A slightly different kind of fun. In this case, I put the clouds and sky in behind the Mission where none existed.

Leica 77

A slightly different kind of fun. In this case, I put the clouds and sky in behind the Mission where none existed.
Hello TRSmith,
Beautiful Image! I also enjoy taking photos of classic stone structures. Your B/W image gives a sense of historical depths to it. Best regards, Leica 77 :)

D

ddk

Jorgen, I'm sure that you've heard the saying; too much of a good thing... it looks like you're having much too much fun these days! :thumbup:

What's fascinating to me is how differently you and Mitch Alland see the same city and people. You two couldn't be more opposite even if you tried. I like both your styles but when looking at his imaged I question myself about staying there for nearly 14 years until I look at your vision and I'm reminded of some of the best and most fun times of my life, thank you!

Terry

Jorgen, I'm sure that you've heard the saying; too much of a good thing... it looks like you're having much too much fun these days! :thumbup:

What's fascinating to me is how differently you and Mitch Alland see the same city and people. You two couldn't be more opposite even if you tried. I like both your styles but when looking at his imaged I question myself about staying there for nearly 14 years until I look at your vision and I'm reminded of some of the best and most fun times of my life, thank you!
Wow David.....I never really even thought about the two of them being in the same city. But you are soooo right! Feels like glass half empty/glass half full. I always look forward to Jorgens shots (and his color is always so consistently spot on) and while I think Mitch has some good work in general with his processing it always feels so bleak.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, please, no more such pics. Those beauties took away my breath.....now i understand why your work is such terrible hard...
Klaus, I cannot hear you so well. You need to speak up :lecture: Do you want to borrow a microphone?

S5 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/2.5

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
David and Terry,
I also find the contrast intriguing, and I miss Mitch' work here. Differences like that is probably mostly due to the fact that we see differently. Although I see lots of dark sides as well, and sometimes involve myself far beyond my abilities, my camera seems to be looking for the bright spots, something to base a life upon.

What impresses me most, not only here in Southeast Asia, but anywhere in the world, are people who are happy with what they have. I come from a nation that used to have very little, a people who travelled to find more, as vikings, as merchant sailors and as tourists. Then, they found oil in the North Sea, and now Norwegians have anything money can buy. We did lose one thing though, on that way to riches: Ourselves. Not completely of course, but too much...

Edit: Oh, and btw. David, most of the photos that I post now are many months old. Too much boring, and sometimes frustrating, work lately. I need to get out more. Correction: I need to get out :lecture:

I have a few plans though :D

Leica 77

David and Terry,
I also find the contrast intriguing, and I miss Mitch' work here. Differences like that is probably mostly due to the fact that we see differently. Although I see lots of dark sides as well, and sometimes involve myself far beyond my abilities, my camera seems to be looking for the bright spots, something to base a life upon.

What impresses me most, not only here in Southeast Asia, but anywhere in the world, are people who are happy with what they have. I come from a nation that used to have very little, a people who travelled to find more, as vikings, as merchant sailors and as tourists. Then, they found oil in the North Sea, and now Norwegians have anything money can buy. We did lose one thing though, on that way to riches: Ourselves. Not completely of course, but too much...

Edit: Oh, and btw. David, most of the photos that I post now are many months old. Too much boring, and sometimes frustrating, work lately. I need to get out more. Correction: I need to get out :lecture:

Hello Jorgen,

I celebrate with you the joy of being able to see the world through our photographic (digital imaging) eyes. Your underlying philosophical views of the world are certainly well reflected in your beautiful images. As a younger person myself decades ago, I stayed in or traveling to some of the (financially) poorest places on our planet through funding from government sources. Even to this day, I still remember vividly some of the happiest smiles and faces among the people, especially children, in these places. Like you, I also "look for the bright spots, something to base a life upon." Best regards, Leica 77 :)

D

ddk

David and Terry,

I'm not sure how much of this has to do with your Viking background nor do I see it the way Terry does, half full/half empty. We both know Mitch's BKK is equally as real as yours and that dark side certainly exists, its not fabricated. Personally, I reached that point of disconnect with the people and the place in my last year there and started seeing things his way; so I left.

Hope you get through your frustrations fast!

Lloyd

David and Terry,

Simple and profound, Jorgen. I agree, I miss Mitch's work here too, but as much as I enjoy it, I find your images more appealing for just the reasons you find to take them.

You comments about Norway ring so true. My father was born and raised on an American Indian reservation, where poverty was universal, but simply accepted as a fact of life, not an oppression. This past weekend, I went with my father to a gathering in the small community where he was born. He had written down some memories to be shared at the event, as was to be honored. I was struck at how, in may ways, very little has changed in the 40 years since I last spent any time there. The temptation is strong in a place like that to agree that Thoreau was right when he opined that 'most men lead lives of quiet desperation.' But as the afternoon became evening, and I observed the people around me, I started to realize that in this case at least, he couldn't have been more wrong. The people around me were happy. They have little, but don't lack for anything that matters. I honestly felt shame at how often I bemoan my lack of this or that, etc. For years, my father had a quote posted on the wall near his telephone. It reads: "Happiness doesn't come from having what you want, it comes from wanting what you have." It's a code engraved in his very being, and it's taken me nearly 60 years to really understand it beyond an intellectual level.

Leica 77

Simple and profound, Jorgen. I agree, I miss Mitch's work here too, but as much as I enjoy it, I find your images more appealing for just the reasons you find to take them.

You comments about Norway ring so true. My father was born and raised on an American Indian reservation, where poverty was universal, but simply accepted as a fact of life, not an oppression. This past weekend, I went with my father to a gathering in the small community where he was born. He had written down some memories to be shared at the event, as was to be honored. I was struck at how, in may ways, very little has changed in the 40 years since I last spent any time there. The temptation is strong in a place like that to agree that Thoreau was right when he opined that 'most men lead lives of quiet desperation.' But as the afternoon became evening, and I observed the people around me, I started to realize that in this case at least, he couldn't have been more wrong. The people around me were happy. They have little, but don't lack for anything that matters. I honestly felt shame at how often I bemoan my lack of this or that, etc. For years, my father had a quote posted on the wall near his telephone. It reads: "Happiness doesn't come from having what you want, it comes from wanting what you have." It's a code engraved in his very being, and it's taken me nearly 60 years to really understand it beyond an intellectual level.
Hello Lloyd and Jorgen,

"Happiness doesn't come from having what you want, it comes from wanting what you have." It is such a profound statement. I will share this with many of my friends. Best regards, Leica 77 :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
So much wisdom here, and so many interesting views. This forum has really attracted a group of exceptional people :)

Last one for today, from Macau:

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 50mm and f/5.6

Lloyd

So much wisdom here, and so many interesting views. This forum has really attracted a group of exceptional people :)

Last one for today, from Macau:

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 50mm and f/5.6

That is an astounding image, Jorgen. One of your very best.:clap::clap::clap:

Terry

Lloyd this is very interesting to me after just spending 4 days driving through Navajo country. I was (actually still am) really confused in trying to understand certain aspects of their lives.

D

ddk

S It reads: "Happiness doesn't come from having what you want, it comes from wanting what you have." It's a code engraved in his very being, and it's taken me nearly 60 years to really understand it beyond an intellectual level.
Very true, as is "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it!". Been there too...