The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Nikon

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
So what do you think about your new D80 so far, Jorgen, compared to your Fuji ?
I'm very happy with the D80. With the grip, it's a perfect size for me, very similar to the S3. Ergonomics are much better, and the viewfinder is in a totally different league. More megapixels means more detail obviously, and I don't have to worry about jagged diagonals.

The big negative is dynamic range. Even my E-1 was better, and the S3 is much better. I keep blowing highlights. It's unfortunate that the ISO-number isn't visible in the viewfinder, not even when I change it. It would also be nice if it metered with AIS-lenses. Even the Olympus does that. The answer to many of these questions is of course the D300, but it's bigger, heavier and much more expensive.

But all in all, I'm very happy with the camera. It'll be interesting to see what the D90 has to offer.

I'm off to Hanoi tomorrow. I'll mostly use the 85mm f/1.8 during my three days there. We'll see how that works out :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I agree - more nice shots Jorgen
But, I've had both of the nikkor AFS 50's (f1.8 and f1.4) and I thought that they had nasty bokeh (I'm not convinced by the bokeho on the last shot - looks gritty to me).
I agree about the bokeh in the last shot. That may be because I'm almost as close as I can get. It seems to look better at longer distances. The Voigtländer is on my shopping list, but so is a number of other things. Priorities, priorities... :cry:

I wish Nikon could launch something similar to the Pentax Limiteds, particularly the 31 and 77. The bokeh of those lenses is to die for :p I've even considered buying a Pentax body just for those two.

deepdiver

2 "dirty" HDR pictures from Nikon D80 + Zeiss 25/2.8
Why is it dirty? because I did not use any tripod for these shots + very minimum of PS process hahahaha :D

Too Lazy to carry a tripod >_<

Andree:LOL:

etrigan63

That's the halo effect from not twiddling the luminance smoothing in the HDR app. Photomatix has a slider that allows you to control that. You can also mediate that effect by using more images (for example, 5 images ranging from -2 to +2 EV).

deepdiver

Hi Carlos, I was using 3 picture for each picture.
I set the bracketing mode ON + Continuous shotting.
I'm using Photomatix Pro to create this HDR picture.

Yes Jorgen, there is something not right at that sky hahahaha :D
I think I should use more images next time :)

I will try it next time! :D :D
at this moment I'm really excited with my new toys, which is a Nikon "Ring Flash"
I will try it out this weekend ^^

Andree

deepdiver

Hihihihi I need a total of 9 CR 123 to start up this ring flash + SU 800 :D
It's does not come with a counterweight, instead, It comes with a filter ring adapter for 62mm, 67mm, 72mm and 77mm :)

Stuart Richardson

Wow, I have never seen a ringflash like that! That's kind of weird. The only type I have really seen is similar to the Hensel ringflash.

It's funny that they use lots of little flashes as opposed to circular lamps.

Arne Hvaring

A couple of recent shots with the D3.
First shot with the 2,8/180mm AF Nikkor, second with MF 2,8/20mm Ais.

Last edited:

woodyspedden

WoW!

And who says the D3 files are not great.

It will be very interesting to see the tradeoffs, vis a vis file quality, between the D3 and the new(er) D3X with its 24Mpx sensor. We may all wish to stay with the wonders of the D3 files, albeit with much lower resolution. My personal opinion is that you need a MFDB with 39 Mpx or so, to really get beyond the D3. And given the D3's superior low light capabilities I would say you need the D3 absolutely for certain assignments and MFDB for the others.

Just MHO

Woody

deepdiver

Hi...!!
I just come back from my friend's house.
We played a bit with the ring flash... (learning :D )
here is a picture of me holding the ring flash :)

Andree

Terry

Today was beautiful in NY, nice temp low humidity. So, after work I went to take a walk in the park. Well I walked right into the Corporate Challenge race. If you aren't familiar with it, there are races around the world with competitive and social runners/walkers. In addition there is a team t-shirt design contest. Here are some shots.....by the way most of these were at ISO 3200 to play it safe on shutter speed at a 350mm equivalent zoom and a maximum aperture of f5.6

OK, before getting to the race...this little doggy clearly wants to be the center of attention and isn't feeling the love.....
View attachment 5613

A few of my favorite t-shirts
View attachment 5614

View attachment 5615

View attachment 5616

15,000 runners make their way to the starting line
View attachment 5617

Last edited: