The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Nikon

jonoslack

Terry Wonderful Shot of the Female Runner & Little Girl 'neighbor'
and Jorgen Tres Chic Miss Lady in Pink (too bad she had to wear that mask) & the B&W simplicity of the bridge shot

Nikon Fun.......
Best-H
Hi Helen
I thought it was the blue mask that made the shot - I agree about Terry's lovely little 'neighbour'

helenhill

Hi Helen
I thought it was the blue mask that made the shot - I agree about Terry's lovely little 'neighbour'
OH SO TRUE Jono .... it Does

BUT I would have been the girl to be riding in the Rain without the Mask
Yes I still suffer from Vanity :ROTFL::ROTFL: I can be a real girlie girl
xo H

Last edited:

Arne Hvaring

The blue mask makes the picture somewhat surrealistic: why is she wearing it? To protect her makeup?, air pollution? or it is de rigueur for scooter drivers in Hanoi these days? Anyways, nice shots Jorgen, both of them.

Arne Hvaring

Church, Trollhättan, Sweden.
D3, 2,8/20mm Ais Nikkor.
I'm constantly surprised at how well this lens performs on the D3. With my film bodies it was only so-so, quite disappointing on the D2x, but on the D3 it really sings.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you all for your kind words. A few comments about masks and helmets:

Most girls riding motorbikes in Hanoi seem to wear these masks. They are available in any colour and a lot of patterns. I was surprised that the woman in the photo didn't wear a pink one, since everything else is colour coordinated. The purpose of the thing is probably a mixture of protection against pollution and bad smells in general, protecting the make-up, and last but not least: it has become fashionable to wear them.

The hat is actually a motorcycle helmet. Those too can be had in almost any colour and shape. The Vietnamese have a thing about head-wear, and a normal motorbike helmet simply isn't enough.

I shot 1,700 photos during my three days in Hanoi, most of them with the old, non-D 85mm, so I have a lot of sorting to do. Avoiding the tourist traps, Hanoi is really one of the most photogenic cities in the world, even if people in general are a bit "photo-shy".

etrigan63

Here is a shot of the last geigers to bloom on my tree before the summer rains knock them all off.

D300, CV 40 mm Ultron, 1/125s, f2, ISO 200

Arne Hvaring

Powerplant, ca 1910.
Five vertical shots stitched. D3, 35 mm Nikkor. (Please click on this one to see it properly :))

Last edited:

JimCollum

The blue mask makes the picture somewhat surrealistic: why is she wearing it? To protect her makeup?, air pollution? or it is de rigueur for scooter drivers in Hanoi these days? Anyways, nice shots Jorgen, both of them.
pollution. I've seen them in Tokyo and Bangkok... even San Francisco. I asked a friend who moved from Tokyo, and said they're most common around areas with a lot of traffic.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nice panorama, Arne !
But for some reason it is not enlarged when I click on it.
I remember the same happened to me a long time ago when I tried to post a large photo like a thumbnail.
It wasn't enlarged either. I never found out how to solve it.
/Steen

Arne Hvaring

Nice panorama, Arne !
But for some reason it is not enlarged when I click on it.
I remember the same happened to me a long time ago when I tried to post a large photo like a thumbnail.
It wasn't enlarged either. I never found out how to solve it.
/Steen
Thank you, Steen! Well, it doesn't get much enlarged when I click on it either, but at least the compression artefacts go away so it looks cleaner. FWIW I posted it as a 1500 pixel wide image.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
pollution. I've seen them in Tokyo and Bangkok... even San Francisco. I asked a friend who moved from Tokyo, and said they're most common around areas with a lot of traffic.
I guess "pollution" is the answer you'd get if you asked any of the girls wearing those masks in Hanoi, and that's absolutely the reason why some (but not many) wear them here in Bangkok.

But Hanoi is a little countryside village compared to those cities, and with rather moderate traffic too. And why do only girls wear them?

Me thinx it's a fashion statement, but I'll ask one of the pretty girls the next time I go there :p

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks Jono, and once again, you've posted one of those intensely relaxed photos that almost make me wish I had a home :rolleyes:

Should it have had a little bit more DOF, for her face to be in focus as well?