The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Nikon

etrigan63

Whilst strolling around my favorite open air mall testing a BRNO baLens white balance lenscap:

Spot the lizard

Pegleg Pigeon

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
From the procession during the Royal Cremation Ceremony in Bangkok.
D80 with 80-200 AF-S and Tamron 1.4x TC @ 170mm and f/5.6

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Monks and Mourners attending the procession on the day of the Royal Cremation of Her Royal Highness the late Princess Galyani Vadhana.

D80 with 80-200 AF-S and Tamron 1.4x TC @ 160mm and f/4.0

Arne Hvaring

Nice shots Jorgen. Hope you are safe in the present turmoil in Thailand.

Carlos, great fireworks shot, exposure nicely balanced.

Don, I like your pano, but the sky looks a bit odd. I've had good results with PTGui, btw.

Arne Hvaring

A recent shot. Winter is coming fast now, creates some intriguing abstractions in ice.
D3, 85/2,8 P-C Micro Nikkor.

Last edited:

DonWeston

Subscriber Member

Carlos, great fireworks shot, exposure nicely balanced.

Don, I like your pano, but the sky looks a bit odd. I've had good results with PTGui, btw.
Thanks Arne - I agree, may need more work, being a pano, the polarizer effect varied greatly across the field of view, so I attemped to burn the left side down a bit, also there is a bit of artifacting that is not visible in prints up to 20". Have not printed the whole thing bigger yet, but have plans to do so. Printed a section of the middle equivalent to 60" long to see how the image structure held up and was blown away to say the least. More PP will have to be done or undone and corrected around the left third or so before I print the entire image that size. As the first pano I have seriously attempted I was pleased over all with how just CS3 worked. Will check out PTGui, thanks for the heads up.

Jorgen - stay safe.....Don

Stuart Richardson

If you are going to print big make sure you get those two identical dust spots in the upper right too! They will drive you crazy if you don't...

Arne -- that ice abstraction is really superb. It has an interesting sort of fractal 3D effect. I like the current crop, but it might be interesting to see a tighter crop of just the distressed section of the ice as well.

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
If you are going to print big make sure you get those two identical dust spots in the upper right too! They will drive you crazy if you don't...
Stuart - thanks for the headsup, but alot of what looks like dust and poor burning in on the posted image is just artifacting. I would guess coming from a 16 bit layered .tiff[200-400mb] to an jpeg web image is just that. I took a look at a 20 inch print again after you mentioned it and it is just that. Nothing noticeable in it or crops from larger sizes I have made to check certain areas....

It is scary judging stuff from online sources, but also one sees tonation changes along the top border on different monitors, both on my Imac at home or PC at work that really are not real in print..>> I do appreciate the concern and I wll scrutinize everything again when I approach getting ready to print the large prints.... For all those fellow Americans, have a happy Thanksgiving and great weekend to the rest...
Nice images all around from the Disney fireworks to the ice abstract....
Don

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Since you ask, here's a description I made for some friends after my arrival at the airport last night, totally unaware of the situation. Photo with D80 and Tamron 17-50 @ 17mm and f/2.8 (I think):

Since it's so popular to to give airports and airlines prizes for best performance, service and so on, here's a short evaluation of Air Asia, Svarnabhumi Airport and an old taxi driver last night:

22.45 hrs
Stewardess with cute voice on the loudspeaker after three hours en route from the outside world: "spprkrf skm ajhji klf... and if you need any help, please visit our website hewfekjflrAsia.com.

Nice voice, but bad pronunciation. Only 5 points out of 10

23.10 hrs
Passport control. No queue here. Very surprising. Fast as lightning. Less than 2 minutes. Big surprise. Never happened before. 12 points out of 10!

23.15 hrs
Taxi stand moved to the most inaccessible end of the terminal building. Long walk on sore feet (lots of walking abroad), only to find the exit blocked by three serious looking guards, and no taxis outside. Minus 3 points for moving the taxis and another minus three for no taxis. That's minus 6 out of plus 10. This is looking bad for the shiny, almost new airport.

23.17 hrs
Arrived at the bottom floor. Lots of people there. Must be those who were not at the passport control. A thousand passengers and two taxis. Must be a zero, right? Out of 10 obviously.

23.18 hrs
There's noise from above. Somebody having a party? Up to check.

23.20 hrs
Arrival at the fifth floor, after explaining politely to several guards that there's no point in blocking the upwards escalators in this airport, since it's apparently in the process of going out of business anyway.

Yes, there's a party. Big one. It's those people again, the ones who try their best to improve this country by blocking government buildings and airports. This is the beginning of the tourist season in Thailand. Some people will be out of work this year. Bad, bad move. Minus 10 points, at least.

That was probably what the stewardess was talking about. A party invitation! Ok, a couple of more points to her :)

Midnight
Walking towards one of the main roads to find a taxi, two kilometers on even sorer feet. Found one, a car that could hardly move and a driver that could hardly see, but with some help, he found the road to Wat Nam Daeng. 10 points to him (and 40 baht tip, so he can buy a new car).

All in all, a very interesting evening, but a bad score for the airport and those noisy people.

Best regards
Jørgen

Last edited:

Arne Hvaring

Jorgen, good to hear you're OK, and even making fun of your tribulations. That's the spirit :).
And thank you for the comment on the ice abstraction. Finding these beautiful creations of nature is one of the (few!) things that make the cold and dreary winters bearable. Given the choice, I would have preferred the south too :rolleyes:

Arne Hvaring

Arne -- that ice abstraction is really superb. It has an interesting sort of fractal 3D effect. I like the current crop, but it might be interesting to see a tighter crop of just the distressed section of the ice as well.
Stuart, many thanks! I've struggled a bit cropping this image, as posted it's only sligthly cropped because I found the chequered pattern to the left interesting. But there's detail enough for a closer crop (and possibly rotation), I might post something along those lines later.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, good to hear you're OK, and even making fun of your tribulations. That's the spirit :).
Staying calm and trying to see the funny side is the only way, I'm afraid. This is a serious situation though, not because it's physically dangerous, but because it will affect the tourism negatively, which means a lot of people will lose their jobs. Add to that the financial crisis, which affects the manufacturing businesses (Nikon's layoffs is a good example of that. They have their big factory in Ayuttaya, just north of Bangkok.), and many families will be in for a tough year in 2009.

gromitspapa

I went to the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum near Portland, Oregon yesterday. It's the home of the Spruce Goose as well as an impressive collection of many other aircraft. Next door is an IMAX theater and a Space Museum. I'd highly recommend visiting if you're in the area. Photo album here (not captioned yet). Shot with the D300 & 17-55mm and Tokina 11-16.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Went to the Pattaya Balloon Fiesta this weekend. Big balloons, and kites too. Here's one of the big, tough kite pilots, piloting his 4-line stunt kite. Or is it the kite piloting him ?

D80 with 80-200 AF-S and Tamron 1.4x TC @ 280mm and f/4.0