The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Nikon

etrigan63

D700 arrived today. Here are some test shots:

All shots RAW developed in Aperture 2. Either Cv 58mm SL II or Nikkor 35mm f/2 AF-D. Last shot is ISO 3200 handheld and the only light source is the Nintendo DS in my son's hand.

Lloyd

D700 arrived today. Here are some test shots:

All shots RAW developed in Aperture 2. Either Cv 58mm SL II or Nikkor 35mm f/2 AF-D. Last shot is ISO 3200 handheld and the only light source is the Nintendo DS in my son's hand.
Great stuff. Looking forward to much more. (Gonna have to change that avatar?):)

etrigan63

Thanks. I was hoping my test shots were on par with the rest of the images presented in this thread. MF guys notwithstanding, there is a lot of leeway in the D700 NEFs and these are 12 bit ones.

No, the avatar stays. I may not own an M8 right now but I will again (or maybe an M9).

Lloyd

I agree. I'm impressed with the MF, but it only goes so far. The dynamic range isn't much better, if at all, and unless one wants to print very large... well, 35mm works for me in 90% of the cases.

I'd keep that avatar too.. it's a good one!

I'm impressed with that CV 58. Is it as good as it appears here?

etrigan63

The cloud shot and the pic of my son are with the Nikkor 35mm f/2 AF-D the rest are with the CV 58mm which is quite a gem once you nail the focus. Being a f/1.4 the plane of focus is razor thin. The D700 focus assist LEDs are immensely more useful than the focus confirmation light in my D300.

etrigan63

Here's a shot inspired by the work of Natalie "Miss Aniela" Dybisz.

"Three Faces of Mel"

First attempt. Need a little more practice and better control of the lighting. Better to use solid, non-flexible props (editing the hammock was a pain). And I need to plan the positioning of the model a little better, but I am pleased with this first result.

Lloyd

Here's a shot inspired by the work of Natalie "Miss Aniela" Dybisz.

"Three Faces of Mel"

First attempt. Need a little more practice and better control of the lighting. Better to use solid, non-flexible props (editing the hammock was a pain). And I need to plan the positioning of the model a little better, but I am pleased with this first result.
Awesome first attempt. Well done.:thumbs:

routlaw

I would love to smuggle in that betterlight to some of these locations!!!
There are times when the Betterlight probably might not be the best choice for this sort of work based upon many of the dark corners and venues you encounter in these places. For instance a line time of 1/8 sec will take over 15 minutes for a full res scan plus the setup time. However when the conditions are right you would be in IQ heaven using a Betterlight.

Rob