The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Nikon

etrigan63

Carlos, that is very cool. How on earth do you do it?
A little planning, a cooperative model, a tripod, a D700 + 35mm af-d f/2, a Metz 58A-1 flash, and a bit of Photoshop wizardry.

First, plan the shot. Sketch out what you want to do or do it in your head if you have the gift of 3D visualization

Second, mount the camera on the tripod and frame the scene. Take test shots to get the lighting right. You want to use f/8 or higher to keep the frames' dof constant. Disable Auto-ISO.

Third, take you sequence of shots moving the model from spot to spot and making sure that none of the other props are disturbed. Check histograms to make sure lighting levels are close.

Fourth, open the entire sequence of shots in Photoshop and find the shot with the model furthest back in the scene. This will be the background layer. Add the other shots as layers in order of furthest to nearest the camera. The Background layer is furthest away, Layer 1 is closer, Layer 2 closer than Layer 1, etc.

Fifth, name the layers to remind you where in the scene the model is located.

Sixth, add Layer Masks that Hide All to all layers except the background. Select white as a foreground color and paint the layer mask with a soft-edged brush, revealing the model in various positions. Remember to click on the mask in each layer before painting. The layer names will serve as a guide where to paint. Work up the layers to the topmost one.

Seventh, import the PSD file into your program of choice (Aperture 2 in my case) and adjust the image to taste.

Done.

etrigan63

Just remember to order the layers from back to front so that as you unveil the model in subsequent layers the z-order is maintained correctly.

H

Hoang

Hi everyone! I just joined this forum as I found it seems like there are a lot of knowledgeable folks around here to learn from and the community seems to be very mature and friendly.
I'm currently a college student (non-art major) but I love photography and it is probably my #1 hobby. I shoot mainly architectural and landscapes with a Canon 20D, but the other day I tried out my friend's Nikon D3. It seems like a pretty nice camera, but not for me, as I'd prefer something with a bit more resolution. Nevertheless, it is a serious piece of kit and is a great tool.
Here is one of the photographs from when I tried out the Nikon D3

nikon d3 . nikon 35mm f/2.0 . 35mm
iso 200 . f/16.0
It was an HDR, done in picturenaut and edited in photoshop cs4.

etrigan63

From the Florida Renaissance Festival ( I will have the complete set in my pro gallery later this week ):

All shots: D700 + Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 AF-S VR, RAW processed in Aperture 2

routlaw

wow really good stuff in this thread!!

old school in bessemer, alabama
As a kid we used to drive through this old steel mill town on the way to visit relatives further south almost every weekend, long before the interstates were built. Cool image, thanks for posting. Very different world back then.

Rob

viablex1

thanks, if you are ever around let me know we have a few easy places we could explore and you could set your better light up in here...I shot my mamiya 7 and I am bringing my fuji rangefinder back as well to shoot this place, it was built in 1908 and the town doesn't know what to do with it, there is some squatting going on or did go on at one time but nobody was there...also across the street it looks like the bessmer methodist church might be abandoned as well...

woodyspedden

Fooling around with some Broncolor lighting to see how well it freezes the subject matter...
David

I have so little experience with high speed strobes that I am reluctant to comment other than this shot looks great to me. probably more about the photog than the gear IMHO

Woody

etrigan63

Another one in my Multiplicity series:

Whole Lotta Sophia

She has the most amazing smile!

Her parents loved the print I gave them.

Leica 77

:) Another fun picture by my favorite Nikon DSLR - D300, using an old Leica M (an earlier model made by Leitz Canada) 90mm Summicron lens with a special adapter. Aperture set at f2.8. Thank you for looking. Leica 77

Last edited:

etrigan63

I am teaching this method to my photo workshop kids as an end-of-school year project. I gave them the idea now so they can start planning the shots. I will be going over the techniques they'll need to use to craft such shots in the next few workshops and the school will provide them access to PC's with Photoshop CS3 on them.