The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Nikon

T

totallynatural

Hi,

I went out over the past few days and got some pics of brighton beach with D300 and 180 or Voigtlander 40mm. (I will post the 180mm ones shortly). Hope you enjoy them. :)
40mm Voigtlander

T

totallynatural

You should check your focus!
Hi David,

Yes my apologies about the focus. :angel:. Aside from the focus (obviously crucial to photography) I still quite liked the shots hence posting.:eek:
Reason they like this is I have a pre-existing eye condition (well a few to be honest, had cateracts aged 7, detached retina's, gluacoma, irisis not quite 33 yet either :) ) and some day's my eyes can be very blurry (doing a post grad MSc) exacerbated by continuous reading, computer work and study. I try to use the voigtlander mainly for landscape type stuff (when they're not blurry) and use my 35 f2 for everything else.
I went out with my 40mm (I accidentally left my 35 f2 at home). I guesstimated focus as I could not see a lot (including the focus confirmation) :bugeyes:.
I'll probably just play safe in the future and ensure my 35 f2 is in the bag at all times :D

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

just keep doing what you're doing. The photos were nice. I did not really notice any focus problems...one thing you can try is to use the auto iso feature (if your nikon has it), and just set things at f/8...then set infinity at around 5.6 on the depth of field marking -- that should give you sharp results for most of this kind of photography.

D

ddk

Hi David,

Yes my apologies about the focus. :angel:. Aside from the focus (obviously crucial to photography) I still quite liked the shots hence posting.:eek:
Reason they like this is I have a pre-existing eye condition (well a few to be honest, had cateracts aged 7, detached retina's, gluacoma, irisis not quite 33 yet either :) ) and some day's my eyes can be very blurry (doing a post grad MSc) exacerbated by continuous reading, computer work and study. I try to use the voigtlander mainly for landscape type stuff (when they're not blurry) and use my 35 f2 for everything else.
I went out with my 40mm (I accidentally left my 35 f2 at home). I guesstimated focus as I could not see a lot (including the focus confirmation) :bugeyes:.
I'll probably just play safe in the future and ensure my 35 f2 is in the bag at all times :D
Hi Totallynatural,

Sorry to hear about your condition, I thought that there was something wrong with the lens or the camera. The 40mm is a very sharp lens but I guess the 35mm gives you more depth so it easier to shoot with hyperfocal settings, please continue posting.

emmawest72

Thanks again. A lot of my stuff is in the analog section of GetDpi as I mostly use film. I will however try to dig up some more from the S5.

R

Ranger 9

This shoot was a zoo

Next season Omaha Theater Ballet is going to premiere a new ballet about the Amazon rainforest. And Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo has a fabulous walk-through rainforest habitat. Obvious promo-photo opportunity, right?

So we gave it a try last Saturday, and I learned a couple of things:

Pleasant surprise: A D300 works just fine even in nearly 100% relative humidity, and so do SB800s and 600s.​

Unpleasant surprise: A soft box does not work so well in high humidity. It kept wilting and the wands would fall out.​

Unpleasant but not exactly unexpected: I had to use CLS because we were in a tearing hurry (had to finish before the rainforest habitat opened to the public) and it was hard to get the flashes to fire dependably over even fairly short distances when there were so many leaves, twigs, waterfalls, etc. that could get in the way. I really could have used the new CLS-compatible PocketWizards that are due out in Q2! (I had two of the regular PocketWizards, but couldn't use them because then I would have had no way to set the power level on the SB600s. So much for Ken Rockwell's contention that the SB600 is just as good as the 800!)​

Anyway, I feel I should have been able to do better given the fabulous situation... but this is supposed to be a FUN picture thread, right? And I thought these two were fun:

Using a green gel on the anaconda was as fancy as I was able to get. I wish I were able to do more creative stuff with lighting, but I never seem to get a chance to practice and experiment -- whenever I need to do it, we're always in a hurry and the stuff always has to come out, so I have to be very conservative. Maybe I should take a workshop or something...

D

ddk

Re: This shoot was a zoo

Next season Omaha Theater Ballet is going to premiere a new ballet about the Amazon rainforest. And Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo has a fabulous walk-through rainforest habitat. Obvious promo-photo opportunity, right?

So we gave it a try last Saturday, and I learned a couple of things:

Pleasant surprise: A D300 works just fine even in nearly 100% relative humidity, and so do SB800s and 600s.​

Unpleasant surprise: A soft box does not work so well in high humidity. It kept wilting and the wands would fall out.​

Unpleasant but not exactly unexpected: I had to use CLS because we were in a tearing hurry (had to finish before the rainforest habitat opened to the public) and it was hard to get the flashes to fire dependably over even fairly short distances when there were so many leaves, twigs, waterfalls, etc. that could get in the way. I really could have used the new CLS-compatible PocketWizards that are due out in Q2! (I had two of the regular PocketWizards, but couldn't use them because then I would have had no way to set the power level on the SB600s. So much for Ken Rockwell's contention that the SB600 is just as good as the 800!)​

Anyway, I feel I should have been able to do better given the fabulous situation... but this is supposed to be a FUN picture thread, right? And I thought these two were fun:
They are very fun and unique!

Using a green gel on the anaconda was as fancy as I was able to get. I wish I were able to do more creative stuff with lighting, but I never seem to get a chance to practice and experiment -- whenever I need to do it, we're always in a hurry and the stuff always has to come out, so I have to be very conservative. Maybe I should take a workshop or something...
This is something that you have to manage on your own, how much time do you think you'll get in one room with 15+ other photographers. Workshops are mostly ok for beginners and basics, the advanced stuff takes time, patience and again Time, very hard to do something exceptional under the gun even for great photographers.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Hi,

I went out over the past few days and got some pics of brighton beach with D300 and 180 or Voigtlander 40mm. (I will post the 180mm ones shortly). Hope you enjoy them. :)
40mm Voigtlander

totallynatural,
I really like the small girl looking at the chalk drawing and the cowboy taking a picture. Keep 'em coming!

William, lovely.

Ranger9, Very cool. Love the anaconda girl.