The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Nikon

Stuart Richardson

Some night shots from Skaftafell national park. Probably the darkest place I have ever been...good thing I had a D3, tripod and cable release!
First one is from Jökulsárlón, an iceberg lagoon, though the aurora was over the parking lot...heh. Sometimes you have to take what you can get.

These were up on a DARK mountain trail. No one around for ages. At the hotel it was me, the manager, the cook, and two guys from the Netherlands. The closest town is one direction is 72 miles and has 160 people, the other direction has a town about 75 miles away with a population of 1800. At this time of year there is basically no one around, which is fantastic...a little freaky when you have a several hundred foot drop below you onto a glacier, the trail is pitch black and you are alone.

Exposure data is:
1. f/4, ISO 2500, 2 minutes.
2. f/2.8, ISO 2000, 4.5 minutes
3. f/2.8, ISO 2000, 4.5 minutes
4. f/2.8, ISO 12,800, 30 seconds
5. f/2, ISO 12,800, 30 seconds

These aren't really the greatest to be honest -- the aurora was very faint, and I did not want to follow the trail too far as it was very precarious, lots of wet, loose rock, pitch black, totally alone, carrying a lot of gear and so on. I felt I would be pushing my luck if I hiked any further. Hopefully next time I get a chance to go, I will have a parter, more aurora and maybe more time!

fotografz

I haven't posted many Nikon shots, but I do shoot the D3/D700 a great deal at weddings ... so here's one using the 200/2VR .... I LOVE this lens!

D700 @ ISO 2000 1/160th shutter, 200/2VR @ f/2. (I added the touch of vignetting in PS)

Stuart Richardson

Thanks guys -- it is definitely an exercise that the D3 is made for. That said, no camera is perfect. The two exposure settings demonstrate the issue -- you can either get nice smooth photos with star trails and smeared clouds/auroras etc, or you can crank up the ISO to absurd levels, shoot wide open and get your stars as points and more naturally captured auroras. It will be interesting to see if they every really remove the ISO barrier -- ISO 160,000 with no grain etc. THAT will be interesting...

Edit: Great shot Marc! That's a lens I would love to have...I will be getting my 180/2.8 APO elmarit a Leitax mount though...that should do for me...no weddings and their need for AF and auto-aperture.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Stuart, Your photos are beautiful.

Marc, Love that lens. I had it for a short while and wish I would have kept it.

Here is one from last summer. D700 and the Voigtlander 180 f/4.

I can't wait to get out and shoot spring flowers.

Lloyd

I haven't posted many Nikon shots, but I do shoot the D3/D700 a great deal at weddings ... so here's one using the 200/2VR .... I LOVE this lens!

D700 @ ISO 2000 1/160th shutter, 200/2VR @ f/2. (I added the touch of vignetting in PS)
This is really nice. I still kick myself for selling that lens.:angry: At least I used the $$ to buy some sweet Leica glass.:)

Lloyd

Some night shots from Skaftafell national park. Probably the darkest place I have ever been...good thing I had a D3, tripod and cable release!
First one is from Jökulsárlón, an iceberg lagoon, though the aurora was over the parking lot...heh. Sometimes you have to take what you can get.

These were up on a DARK mountain trail. No one around for ages. At the hotel it was me, the manager, the cook, and two guys from the Netherlands. The closest town is one direction is 72 miles and has 160 people, the other direction has a town about 75 miles away with a population of 1800. At this time of year there is basically no one around, which is fantastic...a little freaky when you have a several hundred foot drop below you onto a glacier, the trail is pitch black and you are alone.

Exposure data is:
1. f/4, ISO 2500, 2 minutes.
2. f/2.8, ISO 2000, 4.5 minutes
3. f/2.8, ISO 2000, 4.5 minutes
4. f/2.8, ISO 12,800, 30 seconds
5. f/2, ISO 12,800, 30 seconds

These aren't really the greatest to be honest -- the aurora was very faint, and I did not want to follow the trail too far as it was very precarious, lots of wet, loose rock, pitch black, totally alone, carrying a lot of gear and so on. I felt I would be pushing my luck if I hiked any further. Hopefully next time I get a chance to go, I will have a parter, more aurora and maybe more time!
These are impressive, and this last one is AMAZING!!:bugeyes::bugeyes:

David K

Workshop Member
Michael, Stuart, Marc and Cindy... all impressive shots. Marc, i wish you wouldn't post shots from that lens, I'm still kicking myself for parting with it. Stuart, your shots seem to be from another planet.

Terry

Hey Stuart those are really cool shots. I'm still dreaming of my Iceland trip. Need to get something organized or take a workshop there. My other destination that I'm seriously considering is southwest Ireland in early September. Arrrgggh decisions

Terry

All of the flowers are terrific. I've been neglecting the threads here perhaps because I'm annoyed at myself for ignoring great shooting weather and wasting time on silly things instead of getting out in the spring sunshine.

fotografz

Thanks all ... the 200/2VR has become much more viable since getting a Kirk handle for it.

Cindy, my Voightlander 180/4 will come out of it's winter slumber soon ... that lens makes me smile because I associate it with summer shooting ... usually on Vacations. Your photo reminded me of that :) Also reminded me that I need to find a lens hood for it.

Terry

Marc - Th3 200mm lens is amazing. I've never touched it but also haven't seen a shot from it I didn't like. I remember David Farkas linking to another wedding photographer in Florida who uses that lens extensively. I guess carrying it is worth it when the bride sees shots like the one you posted. I hope she ordered that one.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks all ... the 200/2VR has become much more viable since getting a Kirk handle for it.

Cindy, my Voightlander 180/4 will come out of it's winter slumber soon ... that lens makes me smile because I associate it with summer shooting ... usually on Vacations. Your photo reminded me of that :) Also reminded me that I need to find a lens hood for it.
Marc,
I got my lens hood for the Voiglander 180 f4 from KevinCameras (but it was pricey). I think RobMac mentioned somewhere that he had found a source for a reasonably priced hood. You might check with him.