The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Nikon

Leica 77

Nikon D300 with AF Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens at Xi'an, China. No flash was allowed inside the museum. Active D-Lighting was activated. Thanks. Leica 77

Lloyd

Nikon D300 with AF Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens at Xi'an, China. No flash was allowed inside the museum. Active D-Lighting was activated. Thanks. Leica 77
Extraordinary results, especially under the circumstances.:salute:

What an amazing place... I'd love to see this one day.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I think we have to put up a sign somewhere here:

"Due to the dwindling mental health of some of those forum members who do not own a D700, members are kindly asked not to post photos at ISO 6400 or more." :lecture: :ROTFL:

Nice photos, Scott. What lens and aperture for the first one?

Leica 77

Hello Lloyd,
Many thanks for your kind words. My Nikon D300 Digital SLR automatically set its ISO to 2800 to cope with the prevailing lighting condition inside the Terra Cotta Warriors Museum in Xi'an, China. It is truly an amazing place to visit. Leica 77 :)

Scott G

Hi Jorgen,

That was shot with the 50mm Nikkor 1.4D, at f2.0 (and 1/400 sec!). A fast lens on a D700 is close to having night vision goggles!

T

totallynatural

Hi heres a couple of pics I took over Easter whilst visiting my parents in Norfolk. The first is the local Church, the second is some Norfolk Graffiti ;-)
Both taken with 35 F2 on D300 (first pic with graduated ND).

Great pics Scott from your D700! I'm in constant awe of its low light capabilities.

T

totallynatural

Hi heres a couple of pics I took over Easter whilst visiting my parents in Norfolk. The first is the local Church, the second is some Norfolk Graffiti ;-)
Both taken with 35 F2 on D300 (first pic with graduated ND).

Great pics Scott from your D700! I'm in constant awe of its low light capabilities.

Hi apologies the links are not working. I will sort them out

T

totallynatural

hopefully here are the pics! (plus a 'couple' more!)
Toad in pond (180 f2.8)

Rotten Apple (35 f2)

Local Church (180 f2.8)

Barbed wire (180 f2.8)

Local Church (35 f2 with ND grad)

Norfolk Graffiti :) (35 f2)

Lamb (180 f2.8)

Old 'out house' behind ruined house (40mm voigtlander - fingers crossed focused okay on barbed wire!) :)

Sheeps wool

T

totallynatural

Some very nice images there. I particularly like "Barbed Wire". Which brand of lenses are these?
Hi thanks :)

They are both second hand Nikkor lenses apart from the 'outhouse' pic (voigtlander). I think most of the 180s were taken at f4. The 180 IF ED f2.8 was bought from grays in London, there were newer versions supporting matrix metering i tried but the manual focus rings on them had horrible damping, and the focus seemed slower and really really noisy, mine focuses pretty fast (had no worries with tracking wildlife) and quieter. It is possibly my favourite lens (comparable to my previous canon 70-200 2.8L, and does not break your back carrying it :D) something about the contrast from it I love. Though it did require lens micro-adjustment when I bought it which I am not 100% confident about doing, I think it worked okay though. Not being able to use matrix metering does not bother me as I never trusted evaluative on canon and did not get results I was stunned with either on Nikon, I primarily use centre weighted or spot.

I used aperture 2 to process (I find it delivers the most natural colours) adjusting levels slightly to remove any colour casts and the pics were downsized and sharpened in CS3.

Last edited:
T

totallynatural

Stuart - great pics, They look very surreal almost dreamlike.

Lloyd - just been back though a few pages and seen your leaf breaking through the snow. That is a seriously nice pic! Would love the lens too :)

Last edited:

Lloyd

Hi thanks :)

They are both second hand Nikkor lenses apart from the 'outhouse' pic (voigtlander). I think most of the 180s were taken at f4. The 180 IF ED f2.8 was bought from grays in London, there were newer versions supporting matrix metering i tried but the manual focus rings on them had horrible damping, and the focus seemed slower and really really noisy, mine focuses pretty fast (had no worries with tracking wildlife) and quieter. It is possibly my favourite lens (comparable to my previous canon 70-200 2.8L, and does not break your back carrying it :D) something about the contrast from it I love. Though it did require lens micro-adjustment when I bought it which I am not 100% confident about doing, I think it worked okay though. Not being able to use matrix metering does not bother me as I never trusted evaluative on canon and did not get results I was stunned with either on Nikon, I primarily use centre weighted or spot.

I used aperture 2 to process (I find it delivers the most natural colours) adjusting levels slightly to remove any colour casts and the pics were downsized and sharpened in CS3.
Thanks for the info. I've been lusting after that 180/2,8 for some time.

Lloyd

Stuart - great pics, They look very surreal almost dreamlike.

Lloyd - just been back though a few pages and seen your leaf breaking through the snow. That is a seriously nice pic! Would love the lens too :)
Thank you. I do feel very fortunate to have that lens. I don't use it nearly often enough, however. Can't bring myself to part with it. I had the 200/2 VR, and very much regret selling that one. Don't want a repeat of that experience.

Leica 77

The Li River Cruise in Guilin, China. Nikon D300 + AF Nikkor VR 18-200mm. Thanks for looking. Leica 77 :)

Last edited: