The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Nikon

D

ddk

I went for a walk in the park today. D700 and Mamiya 80 f/2.8 at f/8.
What a beautiful park, like some of the ones you see in Japan, they're very fond of rivers and bridges, not something that's common in here in NY.

Which adaptor do you use to mount a Mamiya lens on the Nikon?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
What a beautiful park, like some of the ones you see in Japan, they're very fond of rivers and bridges, not something that's common in here in NY.

Which adaptor do you use to mount a Mamiya lens on the Nikon?
Thank you David and Lloyd.
We have a wonderful park in our town, Lakeside park. It has a Yacht club, marina, 1930's lighthouse, turn of the century gazebo, children's rides and petting zoo. It is filled with flowers, birds and butterflies in the summer.

RobMac is the expert on adapting lenses, so maybe he will chime in. He is the one that put me onto the Mamiya lenses.
Here is a picture of my adapter.

robmac

"expert" yeah, right - know enough to be dangerous ;>

The best adapter I've used so far is the Fotodiox Pro version (the non-pro sucks). The Cirrius adapters (see EBay) are reputed to be very nice as well.

I use and love my Mamiya's on a 1Ds2 but use a Mamiya-Nikon adapter + a chipped Nikon-EoS adapter to enable focus confirmation (not an issue with a Nikon body).

Lars

An old friend... priorities are different today but I do miss ripping away in this one. 1990 Nissan 300 ZX TT, modded a bit :cool:, there's just no better therapy than torque.

Highway 35 near Page Mill Road, June 1998. Nikon F5, 85/1.4D, on Kodachrome 25.

Stuart Richardson

Nice Lars.
Well, while we are on the car theme, I found a excellent used one that will allow me to get out into the countryside! It is a Land Rover Freelander 2, and I am quite amused that while being fantastic off road, since it is a diesel it gets about 15mpg MORE than my old Volkswagen. It is a truly amazing car. It only had 5000 miles (8000km) and because of the crisis here I got it for more than 40% cheaper than the new price. Here it is from the first chance I got to take it off road (well, on a dirt road anyway). These places are just half an hour or so outside Reykjavik.

I look forward to getting off the tarmac and really out into the country.

woodyspedden

"expert" yeah, right - know enough to be dangerous ;>

The best adapter I've used so far is the Fotodiox Pro version (the non-pro sucks). The Cirrius adapters (see EBay) are reputed to be very nice as well.

I use and love my Mamiya's on a 1Ds2 but use a Mamiya-Nikon adapter + a chipped Nikon-EoS adapter to enable focus confirmation (not an issue with a Nikon body).
I don't own Mamiya lenses but I do have a gajillion Hassy V's. I have two adapters to use it on the Nikon...........one from Fotodiox and one from Novoflex. The Fotodiox works fine except wide open you can see color fringing (the purple kind). The Novoflex does not exhibit the same fringing. I talked with Pham Minh Son about it and he says that adapter thickness is critical to performance at infinity and for reducing color fringing. I know little about adapters but he seems to be the resident expert about such matters. You may recall that he built the best adapters ever for adapting Contax lenses to Canon digital bodies.

My advice is to experiment and use the one which gives you the best wide open performance, especially at infinity.

Woody

robmac

Son is w/o THE adapter guru. Have no issues with the Fotodiox units re: fringing on my M645 glass (at least as yet), but that might change with the next lens. That said, Woody's advice is bang-on. Start with the least costly, see if it works for your lens combo and if not, move upstream as it were.

The only issue with the Novoflex, which have a rep for being very well built, is their cost.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Unfortunately, I have no car to show off, so here's a girl instead, a weather girl, snapped off the street in Hanoi today :)

D80 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/2.2

D

ddk

I have a Hassy to Nikon adaptor that I bought from Popflash, don't know the brand but is very well built and works great. There are some Mamiya lenses that I'm interested in trying out too.

What's crazy is buying a modern dslr system with all its bells & whistles, then messing around with old tech. In the past 2 years I've either sold or stopped using most of my modern, AF Nikkors in favor of Zeiss ZF lenses, older AIS Zeiss Jenna and one AIS Nikkor, or Hassy glass with adaptor. I even replaced my Nikon zoom lenses with older Angenieuxs and Tamrons for the rare occasions that I use a zoom. Now I'm looking a Mamiya Leica R adaptors, what's wrong with this picture?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Again, I have problems deciding between colour and black & white. I like the b&w better, but miss the powerful greens from the colour version.

D80 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/2.5

D

ddk

Again, I have problems deciding between colour and black & white. I like the b&w better, but miss the powerful greens from the colour version.

D80 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/2.5

Tough one here, I like the aesthetics of the BW better but the color one tells me why they're huddled under the arch I'd clone out the bike on the left, its annoying both in color and BW!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ah the bike... I knew I should have removed it, but I'm lazy, and it's the middle of the night here :lecture:
Another day.... maybe :rolleyes:

Here's some culture. The Temple of Literature:

D80 with Tamron 17-50mm @ 50mm and f/4.0