The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Nikon

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Very nice, David. The third one is great. Such drama.

Edit: You post faster than I can write. The last one is great as well.

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
David, This series is beautiful. My favorite is #3. The Fuji sure showed its stuff in that one. Your black and white conversions are very nice, too.

leif e

Thanks all! I don´t know what those flowers are called in English? They actually started blooming yesterday morning - and this year seems to be very good for them. Beauties, but poisonous!:eek:

David; I really love that series! Makes me yearn for the mountains - the rapidly changing weather.
leif e

D

ddk

Thank you everyone, the credit should go to mother nature and not me, all I did was click!

RAM

ddk,
Wonderfull post. I'm looking for a Zeiss lens for the D700 and was considering the ZF25 which you have used to great effect here. Any downsides to this lens, I'm also considering the 28 and 35. Would you share how you processed these? Thanks in advance.

D

ddk

ddk,
Wonderfull post. I'm looking for a Zeiss lens for the D700 and was considering the ZF25 which you have used to great effect here. Any downsides to this lens, I'm also considering the 28 and 35. Would you share how you processed these? Thanks in advance.
If there is downside to this lens, I haven't seen it and its a lens that I've used a lot and know well. I have all the other ZF lenses too and they're all excellent. While the rendering of each of these lenses is different from one another, their objective qualities remains the same, they're all really wonderful pick the fl that suits your needs and forget the reviews.

RAM

David,
Do you find one ZF has a more "Leica" rendering than the others? This is more important for my needs than the fl. The ZF25 pictures you posted have exactly the rendering I am looking for - would the other ZFs have a similar look and feel? If so then my choice is down to fl. Processing also would be a factor, would you share your methodology? Thanks.

D

ddk

First of all I have no idea what you shoot and shooting close and distant images is very different with all these lenses so to talk about the Leica look we need to be much more specific about what you're shooting and which lens, otherwise the entire conversation is pointless. At this point Zeiss lenses are good enough imo not to bother with the hassle of using converted Leica R lenses and from what I've seen the Zeiss has the upper hand in some cases.

Look at your other thread I posted something about rendering there.

As far as conversions go, the images that I posted here were quickies, I used PS to convert to BW, adjust contrast to taste, resize, and sharpen for small web images which is fine for posting here, I wouldn't waste more time for this type of thing. On the other hand if I was going to print them I would use Fuji's software for raw conversion to extract the best and deepest tonal range and then I would work them more carefully in PS, but at the end of the day there's not much to do with this type of image, specially if you convert it to BW, color is more work for me.

RAM

I am just returning to photography after a long absence - mainly motivated by all the images I have seen on this forum. At this point I want to find a nice walk around ZF lens for general photography, but with a preference towards city/landscapes as opposed to portraiture for example. I am trying to keep my kit to a minimum (while saving for an M8).

Lloyd

I am just returning to photography after a long absence - mainly motivated by all the images I have seen on this forum. At this point I want to find a nice walk around ZF lens for general photography, but with a preference towards city/landscapes as opposed to portraiture for example. I am trying to keep my kit to a minimum (while saving for an M8).
Perhaps depending on the body you choose (FX vs DX, for example), you may alter your choice, but the ZF 35/2 is a truly amazing lens, and a very useful focal length especially on the FX body. Not a bad portrait lens either. One the other hand, as David's wonderful images above attest, that 25 flat rocks!!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
There is a re-enactment camp a few blocks from my house this weekend. The weather is terrible and the turnout was not that good. A few brave souls were there.
D700 and Mamiya 150 f/3.5 WO

Lloyd

There is a re-enactment camp a few blocks from my house this weekend. The weather is terrible and the turnout was not that good. A few brave souls were there.
D700 and Mamiya 150 f/3.5 WO
Great shots all, Cindy. That lens works beautifully on the Nikon.

The weather doesn't look too bad from those images.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks, Lloyd. It is cold and very windy. It is possibly getting down to freezing tonight and the participants are sleeping in tents with just wood fires for warmth.

leif e

Cindy, I like them - and; the cold, the wind might make the acting part a bit easier? Primitive conditions and all that ...:D

Btw; you said to Alex that daughters are precious treasures. I agree (have 2) - and sometimes they come up with granddaughters as well! For example like this one.:)
leif e
S5, Nikkor 2,8/105 Micro-Nikkor ISO 1600 by mistake. :eek:

Last edited:

Lloyd

Cindy, I like them - and; the cold, the wind might make the acting part a bit easier? Primitive conditions and all that ...:D

Btw; you said to Alex that daughters are precious treasures. I agree (have 2) - and sometimes they come up with granddaughters as well! For example like this one.:)
leif e
S5, Nikkor 2,8/105 Micro-Nikkor ISO 1600 by mistake. :eek:
Beautiful portrait, Leif. Beautiful granddaughter!