The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking for another...

... camera that is.

While my heart would love to go the Leica M route, my pocket book is saying something completely different at this point. I thought of an M8.2, then M8, then M6 but just can't pull it off at this point.

For something similarly sized, anyone here use the Lumix G1? Looks decent. I have no desire to shoot video, so the GH1 is a no go for me. G1 pricing looks cheap, then I could start building up a Leica M lens kit over time was kinda what I was thinking getting a micro 4/3 adapter.

Any input from you fine folks? And yeah... I looked at the 4/3 forum and was a bit overwhelmed!

m3photo

Re: G1

For something similarly sized, anyone here use the Lumix G1? Looks decent. And yeah... I looked at the 4/3 forum and was a bit overwhelmed!
Don't be; overwhelmed, that is.
All folks on the 4/3 forum are saying is that it's a no-brainer. Give it a try - just the basic G1 with the standard 14-45 lens delivers excellent images.
If you then want to go on and get all sorts of adapters for it, go ahead (I use my manual Nikkors on it sometimes, albeit with a x2 multiplication factor) but really, this is a little camera that's well worth looking into as it comes.
I keep it with me at all times in the car. Under the driver's seat if you want to pinch it :D

Thanks... I'm looking to check one out locally. Could be a fun lil thing! Or just not as big to lug around as my Nikons.

clay stewart

I just sold my D700 and was thinking of getting a G1 also, while I'm waiting to see what comes out next for full frame. I tried the EP1 and GF1, but didn't seem to bond with either one. I was just about to pull the trigger on a G1 and saw that the D90 is only a hundred bucks more and figured I would be better off with that as a small body, till something better comes out, since I already have Nikon lenses and flash. I think the G1 is due for a refresh in the next week or so, according to rumors, so that was a consideration in my choice as well.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jason, I have an M8, but use my G1 just as much. I enjoy putting my Leica lenses on the G1, but as Michael said, you can't go wrong with the kit lens. The Panasonic 20 f/1.7 is a wonderful lens, too.
There is a lot of good information on the M4/3 forum, so I recommend that you start there. (Please note that there are some issues of corner smearing with some M mount wides.) I use the CV 28 f/1.9 (now discontinued) and have no smearing issues, but smearing was reported with the new CV 28 f/2, for example. Also, don't forget the 2x crop factor of the G1. My 28mm lens has a FOV of 56mm.

m_driscoll

Jason, I'll throw my 2-bits in. I've had a G1, GH1, and GF1. Sold the G1 and the GF1. I kept the GH1 because it's closest to a lightweight DSLR. Not as sexy as the GF1; but very functional and IQ is quite good for the sensor size. I kept two lenses: the kit 14-140mm (versatile) and the Pan-Leica 25mm f/1.4 (too good to sell). Won't replace your Nikon gear; but, a nice addition. Cheers,

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Thanks everyone!

I thought the G1 and GH1 were pretty much spot on similar enough for still images and that it's just the video to set those apart? Problem is tho, a GH1 kit approaches a D90 kit pricewise, right?

Cindy, you bring up the most important point that bothers me about the 4/3 system. I find myself shooting wider and wider lately. The panny 20mm 1.7 I guess brings it close to shooting a 35mm. A 14mm f2 would seal the deal for me in a heartbeat.

How about someone come out with an M sized mirrorless system, 1.3x to full frame, RF of EVF and M bayonet for under $2k?? Believe me, I has as much M9 lust as the next guy, but I can't for the life of me figure out why it's priced more than a D700 or D3s for that matter. Hence my search continues.

Hmm... a G1 refresh in the next week or so? I can hold out for that. But if the IQ is decent, finding a used G1 body for $350 isn't an awful experiment, is it?

Ahhhh... well I see that there is a plan for a 14mm 2.8 and a G1 replacement slated soon.

Guess I need to save my pennies for a new walk about when I want to leave my lil tank (D700 w/ Zeiss 21) at home!

A

aprillove20

I agree with m3photo that basic G1 with the standard 14-45 lens delivers excellent images.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
As a counterpoint to the good advice and experiences here, I originally had a G1 outfit with 14-45/45-200 lenses and it was ok, but I didn't get on well with the EVF and somewhat small form factor. I found myself shooting with my Nikon & Leica outfits more often as it just didn't work for me.

When the GF-1 came out I tried again with the Leica adapter and 7-14, 14-45, 45-200 & 20/1.7. The images from the 7-14 and 20/1.7 were excellent but I was never fully happy with Leica wides on the adapter. The EVF again didn't work well for me and gave me approximate framing at best. Looking back at the images the camera worked well enough but processing raw files was a little restrictive because of Adobe support and delays with Aperture support. I prefer Capture One and it never did get raw support while I owned the GF-1.

I ended up letting the system go again and returned to my Nikon/Leica and Canon G11 as my P&S. Pictures were fine but I just never got used to the form factor and the EVF again.