The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

There may be a D300 in my near future...

etrigan63

One of the fine fellows over at RFF bought himself a whole D300 kit to get himself into digital photography (being a die-hard film+RF guy), but was not happy with it. He has agreed to unload the whole kit (camera, lenses, flash, etc) for a very good price. The body only has 400 shots taken by him so this baby is barely broken in. Now I have to sell my Canon gear to pay for it all when he gets back from vacation.

You people are giving me G.A.S....

etrigan63

He didn't have a chance to list fully what he was selling but I know the 18-200 VR is there and an SB400 flash, couple of UDMA CF cards (4 & 2 GB), and "other goodies" his words. I know the 18-200 has a bad rep around here, but I am willing to give it a shot. Plus I need something fairly long for my kids' school play at the Dade County Auditorium.

jonoslack

He didn't have a chance to list fully what he was selling but I know the 18-200 VR is there and an SB400 flash, couple of UDMA CF cards (4 & 2 GB), and "other goodies" his words. I know the 18-200 has a bad rep around here, but I am willing to give it a shot. Plus I need something fairly long for my kids' school play at the Dade County Auditorium.
Hi There
Well, I had one of the first 18-200's on a D2x and a D200, and although there probably is some sample variation, I loved it. sure, it isn't quite all the leica lenses rolled into one for the price of a second hand 50 'cron, but it's lovely to use, the VR works, it focuses quickly and accurately and it's sharp enough as long as you stop down a little.

Good luck with your new kit - I'm sure you'll enjoy.

etrigan63

Thanks Jono, that's good to hear. I too may be picking up a CV 58 mm SL II as well for when I do product shots. 18" minimum focus and since it's manual and very fast I should have no trouble focusing it.

woodyspedden

Thanks Jono, that's good to hear. I too may be picking up a CV 58 mm SL II as well for when I do product shots. 18" minimum focus and since it's manual and very fast I should have no trouble focusing it.
If you decide to go the CV 58 route let me know. I have a mint copy but since buying a Zeiss 50 Makro I don't use it and would love to sell.

Woody

etrigan63

A week later and David has responded. I will be taking my Canon kit to him very shortly to get put on the auction block. I may end up getting the kit from David as he would include a Metz 58 flash instead of the SB400. Keep you posted.

etrigan63

Well, my D300 kit arrives at David's on Friday. Getting the kit lens (18-200) + 50mm f/1.8 and the Metz 58 flash. Will be reviewing it on my blog. I am quite stoked!

Lisa

Lucky you! I'm currently using the 18-200 VR lens on my D200, but can't justify to myself the price of upgrading from the D200 to a new D300. Congratulations on finding a good deal!

Lisa

etrigan63

David has just informed me that the "end of month" lunacy at Nikon's warehouse has delayed my order till next week. David is going to check if he can loan me a camera for the weekend to "Test Drive" so I can shoot photos of my son's first karate tournament.

etrigan63

No test drive. So the D40x is on deck for karate tomorrow. Question for you all: I just got a birthday coupon from Best Buy who is selling the D300 kit with the $300 instant rebate to which I get another 12% off bringing the price to $2023 I may get it there as they have it in stock. Does anyone have an opinion about the 60mm Micro Nikkor f/2.8D (non-AF-S)?

etrigan63

Chatted with David via email and will still go with him out of loyalty. But I'm still interested in the 60mm. May get that at BB with my discount.

etrigan63

Correction to the Topic Title: "There is a D300 in my present..."

Charging up now. Will post test shots later. Got the kit for now. Will pick up the rest later.

jonoslack

Correction to the Topic Title: "There is a D300 in my present..."

Charging up now. Will post test shots later. Got the kit for now. Will pick up the rest later.
Great!
Good luck with it . . . and when you have a moment, that daylight value in bibble . . .

congratulations anyway

Terry

Congratulations Carlos-
My 18-200 from David is somewhere between Florida and NY and will arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing how you like it (both camera and lens)