The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lee Filter System for the Nikon 14-24

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The one unfortunate thing about the 14-24/2.8 is the inability to use grads etc with it. Lee seems to have come up with a solution: Lee 14-24 Filter holder video

It certainly looks interesting although I have to wonder about practicality. I wonder whether the new 16-35/4 VR might dent the opportunity for this as you can easily put filters on that lens and f/4 isn't such a big deal for landscape work either.

Send an email to [email protected] (or Robert White in the UK) if you're interested as this may be the impetus to get it made.

Last edited:
D

DougDolde

That's pretty cool but certainly complicated. FWIW, since I've been shooting digital (Aptus 75S) I rarely use my grads anymore. It's just too easy to blend another exposure for the sky.

GrahamWelland

Well, it looks like it may actually happen: Lee Announcement

Doug - I confess that I very often find myself shooting HDR brackets for blending. Now if Nikon would only add a > 1 EV step increment on their bracketing ...

Hacker

Some updates from LEE Filters I got in an email today:

LEE Filters 150mm Super Wide Filter Holder

Since announcing the upcoming release of the Nikon 14-24mm Holder, we have had many questions from several of you. We have some updated information to provide based on FAQs to share.

~ The Super Wide 150 Filter Holder System is currently in Production. It will initially only fit the Nikon 14-24mm. This system will cover FX lenses without vignetting and take resin graduated & standard filters.

~ The system will include the holder, a collar to attach to the Nikon 14-24 lens and one Neutral Density 0.6 Grad Hard filter. (Though we do not have an exact cost for this system (TBD) , we are hoping to have it available to consumers for about $250.00 USD.

~ There is no polarizer in the pipeline, but one is not to be ruled out for the future.

~ Extra filters that will be available for purchase currently planned to produce (pricing TBD): An individual graduated filter 150 x 170mm AND an individual standard filter 150 x 170mm

~ This system will not be available until June / July 2010.

~ All our dealers will be advised nearer to June with full information when it becomes available.

GrahamWelland

I suspect that given the super wide focal lengths that they considered a polarizer low on the requirement list due to the adverse darkening across the frame at most focal lengths. I'm sure there's no reason why not technically - at least for polarizer only. Stacking a polarizer and GND wouldn't work due to likely vignetting/holder in frame issues.

Just a thought.

Rethmeier

Graham,
I'm aware of the sky issues with polarizers and extra wide lenses.
I'm more interested to be able to polarize the rest of the image.
The shy I can do in post.
Cheers,
Willem.

Hacker

UPDATE: Lee Filter System for the Nikon 14-24

LEE Filters 150mm Super Wide Filter Holder

UPDATE 6/29/10: Production for this project is taking longer than anticipated. We hope to have the product available ASAP and will notify you upon availability. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have created. Our goal is to provide our customers with the best photographic filters on the market.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

~ The Super Wide 150 Filter Holder System is currently in Production. It will initially only fit the Nikon 14-24mm. This system will cover FX lenses without vignetting and take resin graduated & standard filters.

~ The system will include the holder, a collar to attach to the Nikon 14-24 lens and one Neutral Density 0.6 Grad Hard filter. (Though we do not have an exact cost for this system (TBD) , we are hoping to have it available to consumers for about $250.00 USD.

~ There is no polarizer in the pipeline, but one is not to be ruled out for the future.

~ Extra filters that will be available for purchase currently planned to produce (pricing TBD):
An individual graduated filter 150 x 170mm AND an individual standard filter 150 x 170mm

~ Though currently available in the UK, this system will not be available in the USA until June / July 2010.

~ All of our dealers will be advised nearer to June with full information when it becomes available for sale.

Please make sure to check out the information on our website and be sure to visit www.leefilters.com for any new & updated information.

Latest news: http://www.leefiltersusa.com/camera/products/finder/ref:C4BA23B4F81D79/

If you have already sent an email to [email protected] with your interest in this product, you do not need to re-send. You have already been updated in our system.

Thank you for Choosing LEE Filters!

Hacker

I took a look and a dealer was kind enough for me to inspect it closely. Though the quality was solidly made, I decided against it as I already have the 16-35mm f/4 VR that can take normal filters. One thing very strange was the inclusion of an Optech cover which the dealer and I could not figure out what it was for.

T

tetsrfun

I took a look and a dealer was kind enough for me to inspect it closely. Though the quality was solidly made, I decided against it as I already have the 16-35mm f/4 VR that can take normal filters. One thing very strange was the inclusion of an Optech cover which the dealer and I could not figure out what it was for.
I assume that the Nikon lens cover can be used with the Lee Filter holder installed. If so, I would guess that the Optech is used to help hold the Nikon lens cover in place. I use a Lenscoat cover to hold my lens cover on the 14-24; in my experience, those covers are easily knocked off.

Steve

Hacker

I assume that the Nikon lens cover can be used with the Lee Filter holder installed. If so, I would guess that the Optech is used to help hold the Nikon lens cover in place.
Once the filter is in place, the Nikon hood will not fit. We tried the Optech cover and it did not fit either.

T

tetsrfun

Once the filter is in place, the Nikon hood will not fit. We tried the Optech cover and it did not fit either.
That's a problem but I assume there is an Optech, Lenscoat, etc. that will work. It will also be interesting to see if the laterally placed filter holders will reduce lens flair.

Steve