The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor 200-400/4.0 VR handheld

otumay

Tried this behemoth on my D700 during a boat trip to Buyukada, the largest of Prince's Islands, Istanbul. With a combined weight of nearly 5kgs, shooting proved to be a little demanding on the forearm muscles. Still, I think this lens is very good in terms of contrast, realistic color reproduction and depth.
Here are a few examples, with more on my flickr page. Thanks for looking.
Best,
Osman

In-camera jpeg:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
They look absolutely great, Osman :thumbup: - and she looks so sweet, the young musician.
Obviously a fabulous optic. If only it were a 4/400 prime (or even a 5.6/400) I would buy it in a heartbeat ... please, Nikon :angel:

otumay

I echo your sentiment about the 400mm prime, Steen. Thank you for your kind words. This weekend I'll try the 200/2.0, this time in Eminönü, one of the most crowded places in the city.

The 200-400 and 200 2.0 are a couple of my dream lenses, and these photos show why. Of course, the man behind the camera had a lot to do with it.

The gull shot is just a stunner! But I'm partial to dog pictures!

otumay

Thank you so much, Jason. The man behind the camera was only trying to aim at the subject, nothing more. And gulls... My favorite bird.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Absolutely gorgeous shots Oman!

I am just switching back to Nikon, one of the main reasons being the 4/200-400, which I will buy over time. Was not so happy with Sony A900 and especially the lens line up from Zeiss - nothing exciting coming.

otumay

Thank you Peter. I was on the verge of selling all of my Nikon gear, when the latest firmware for D700 did the trick.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Interesting, Osman.
Excellent shots, i particularly like tHe first three shots of your second posts. :thumbup:

Re your following week-end test, beware: that lens is devilish.

edit : btw, i second your remark about the D700 FW upgrade. Makes it a close to perfect all around 12Mp tool.

Last edited:

otumay

Thank you very much Corlan and Jorgen. It's so motivating to get praise from people whose works I constantly admire.

Corlan, I do not know what that last firmware update brought, but when I go back to shots before I made that upgrade to make comparisons, I'm always -now pleasantly- surprised. I agree that D700 is very close to perfection in its segment now.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Osman - nice job hand holding the 200-400VR. I particularly enjoyed the seagull shot.

I don't often shoot the 200-400VR off the tripod and I confess that I'm often guilty of using one of my fellow shooters as a 'shoulder-pod' - i.e. rest the lens on their shoulder if necessary :p

Btw, I'm visiting Istanbul myself for a week in May. I'll have to look through your galleries for some local photographic inspiration.

otumay

Thank you Graham. You certainly have 'reliable' fellow shooters;)
So glad to hear you're visiting Istanbul in May. You can contact me at [email protected]. I hope it doesn't rain.
Best,
Osman

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Great stuff....but the lens is a "beast" . I use the 200-400/4 for baseball,surfing etc but always with a "5"series Gitzo monopod....it balances perfectly and can be easily carried on your shoulder . These are situations where I can get close but can not move much..so a zoom in the range of 200-400 is perfect.

You should try the 70-200/2.8 VRII ..it is step function better than the 200-400 and compares favorably when using the 1.4X extender. I also understand that the new 2x extender is getting great reviews with this lens. But ,of course ,its not a 400mm .

You will also see how the 200-400 is much stronger at near distances. This is where the lens really shines and your images show it . Very nice work thanks for sharing.

otumay

Thank you for your appreciation and tips, Roger. I do have the 70-200, albeit the VRI version. I'm very fond of this lens and it is obviously much easier to carry, compared to 200-400. I understand that the newer version is substantially better, but as the saying goes; "too many lenses, too little money"!
I do agree with you that 200-400's strong suit is shooting at closer distances, but in street photography, this is not very easy.

Lloyd

Really terrific stuff, Osman. Truly!

I too love the 200-400, and it remains one of the reasons I stayed with Nikon through some times when I really thought I'd had enough. Now, with the D3/D700 and beyond, I'm glad I stuck it out. Just wish I hadn't sold my 200/2, but to be honest, the new 70-200/2.8 is very close, so I'll muddle along.

otumay

Thank you very much, Lloyd. I tried in vain to sell my 200/2, but was unsuccessful. Now I consider myself lucky. I have shot nearly 300 photographs with this gem last Saturday and am thrilled by the results. I shall post a few examples soon.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A bit late to the party here, but these are lovely photos, Osman. I particularly like the first one and how the haze in the background helps bringing out the foreground. Excellent composision.