The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor 200/2.0 handheld

otumay

Fotografz (your post is very good, btw), Lars and Matt; thank you so much. This is great motivation for me and I appreciate it.
Osman

Lloyd

Possibly;) I happen to play the piano and the music sucks if the instrument is bad.
Well, you perhaps, but I don't know a fiddle from a firecracker, so I don't think the instrument would mean much in my hands.

Give yourself some credit, my friend. You took some really great shots, using a wonderful tool. But you have the eye.

:eek:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Nikon 200/2 VR was my favorite when I shot Nikon. Hand held it really comes into its own in very low light when mounted to a D700.

The Kirk hand grip makes it a LOT easier to work with. :thumbup:

D700 @ ISO 2000 1/160th shutter, 200/2 VR @ f/2
Hm....

great shot!

But another reason not to stay with Sony :)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Great stuff Osman. :thumbup:

In my eyes it's -again- even better than the 200-400, but of course it's also a different purpose lens for most people.

Love the people trying to catch up from one transportation to another. I always felt that there's a considerable case of sociological poetry in observing people in this exercise. Be it from embracing the flow or watching from a distance.

Another good watching-the-travelling-crowd example here is your "watching the ships roll by" photo above. IQ is terrific (which stabds for practically every shot here), maybe it'd deserve a 3x4 crop -would make a super nice print :)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Really? So if I buy a Stratovarius I can play in the London Philharmonic? :D
Do you imply that getting a film M with a 50mm wouldn't make me the new HCB? :confused:

Last illusions, gone... :(

Ok, i'll stick my limited Nikon gear, then. :D

otumay

Thank you Corlan. As for the caption, "watching the ships roll by", I was thinking of one of my idols, Otis Redding.

otumay

Thank you rayyan!

I owe you a thousand praises btw, not only for your images, but for the inspiring texts accompanying them as well. Transcending equipment to be one with one's soul; that's where I would love to be.

Best regards,

Osman

routlaw

Osman

Can't really add much to what all the others have stated already but the comments are all spot on. Great lens and very nice use of it on your part. Very well done!

Rob

Lloyd

Transcending equipment to be one with one's soul; that's where I would love to be.

Best regards,

Osman
My friend, your humility may prevent you from seeing or acknowledging it, but your work clearly demonstrates that you are there.

otumay

Routlaw, Lloyd and Rayyan; thank you heartily for your elevating remarks and motivation.

Lloyd, your words are prophetic. I had a mind numbing experience these last two weeks in Asklepion, near Pergamon, Western Turkey. Forgot my camera altogether while shooting. Unfortunately my M8 images were lost due to camera error (see my thread 'M8 user in distress' in the Leica section), but the pull of the place was so strong that I had to go there again, this time with D700 and DP1. I shall process those images when I come out of my laziness and stupor.

Best,
Osman

Lloyd

Routlaw, Lloyd and Rayyan; thank you heartily for your elevating remarks and motivation.

Lloyd, your words are prophetic. I had a mind numbing experience these last two weeks in Asklepion, near Pergamon, Western Turkey. Forgot my camera altogether while shooting. Unfortunately my M8 images were lost due to camera error (see my thread 'M8 user in distress' in the Leica section), but the pull of the place was so strong that I had to go there again, this time with D700 and DP1. I shall process those images when I come out of my laziness and stupor.

Best,
Osman
Very much looking forward to the results. :thumbup:

Hacker

Am thinking of getting one, since the VR II version is out. Just curious, how to you carry the lens? Trying to find a bag and a strap (Thinktankphoto Glass Taxi). I'm trying to find out whether the Blackrapid strap will work with the RRS quick release clamp as I use arca swiss feet for my lenses.

otumay

Good question, Hacker. I attach my 50/1.4 to D700 and carry the 200/2.0 in a backpack on the way, not to attract too much attention. When I get to the shooting area, all Hell breaks loose!
And, I lie on e reclining chair at night, trying not to pay attention to the pains in my back and arms:grin:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you don't keep your 200/2 in a backpack, the Nikon case is pretty usable too.

Osman, you have my respect for wandering around in an urban environment with the 200/2 - heck I used to feel a little self conscious using it even when shooting wildlife!